OT: Saving two cents

Page 3 of 3
On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:02:07 -0700 (PDT), Andy

I am supposed to be watching my salt, but I can't resist buying those Cheez-It Party Mixes occasionally. About a year ago I noticed that the boxes were smaller, but the price was the same.
They have started using the larger boxes again, but now it says....20 percent more.
The sure didn't put 20 percent less on the smaller boxes.

We had a speaker at work that talked about the government's "Cost of Living" formulas.
Based on what I heard, I specifically asked about the trend where manufacturers reduce the size of the product instead of raising the price.
For many items this results in the government reporting 0% inflation for those products since the price has not gone up.
Another example of the games they can play:
The iPad was introduced at a certain price point. The iPad 2, which is "better" than the original iPad, was introduced at the same price point. The government considers that a *reduction* in cost, since consumers are getting more technology for the same amount of money. Somewhere in the bowels of their statistical calculations, they factor in a *deflation* in the price of certain items, even if the cost is the same.
That calculation can result in a lower cost of living, even though the consumer spent the exact amount of money.
On Tue, 17 May 2011 20:04:03 -0700, Smitty Two

Have you made any plans on what to do with all that money? :)
RonB wrote:
[snip]

I buy a lot of Friskies canned cat food. The multi-packs (I've seen 12, 24, and 32) usually cost more than that many single cans. That would be paying for the cardboard (added in multi-packs).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I like to buy the best deal in single both toilet and towel. I don't like open rolls getting dirty.
Greg

Where are you storing them that they get so dirty?
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

It must be outside. I buy the multi unit packs that are wrapped in clear plastic, with each individual unit inside having its own wrapping. I store them in the garage with the outer wrap still covering the inner wrapped units. Kinda like you take slices of bread from the wrapped loaf.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

We keep them in the basement. Sometimes we buy individually wrapped TP/ PT in bulk packages, sometimes they're not individually wrapped.
Either way they don't get "dirty". If they do, then the towels on the shelves and the clothes on the line must be getting dirty too.