OT: Poll: Gas prices

Page 1 of 3

Here on the central Florida Panhandle it's averaging $3.25, in the Pensacola area around $2.90 I clicked around here:
http://www.tallahasseegasprices.com/price_by_county.aspx
and the lowest I could find was $2.25 in south Texas.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:46:56 -0500, PanHandler wrote:

$2.46 today in S Missouri

Never thought that would seem like a bargain!

It's still over $3 in central Texas.
I think the distributers do this on purpose. Raise the price really high then lower it to make you feel better about paying 50 cents more than last year. Also, notice how the price drops just before the election. Who do you think the oil companies want you to vote for?
olddog

No doubt in my mind. I wish they were as liberal with the vaseline as with promises.
olddog wrote:

I don't think the oil companies set the prices so much as the "speculators" do. That is, the people who calculate need vs supply in the future. When Bush revoked the Executive Order banning off-shore drilling in June, the price of crude dropped 25% in four weeks. When the Congress allowed the law prohibiting off-shore drilling to expire, the price dropped another 20%.
Evidently the people contracting for future delivery figured there'd be plenty of oil in one, two, five years.
As for the price of gas dropping just before an election, the price drops EVERY year in October as the peak driving season (and exotic summer blending requirements) expires.

The speculators are also responsible for gas prices decreasing, but you never hear that side from the politicians. Same as corn, wheat, orange juice, etc. futures... but nobody is proposing we close the agricutural futures markets. Gas futures are no different.

$3.39 - $3.69 in Western NY, Lake Ontario region.
It's always higher around here - they blame it on delivery charges.
Speaking of gas prices back in the old days, here's my story.
During the rationing period in the 70's, I lived in NYC and had to put up with the long lines, odd & even days, $5.00 limits and the home- made "Out Of Gas" signs that would pop up suddenly.
One Friday night, just before 11:00, my girlfriend and I were waiting in line to get our $5.00 worth. We were 9 or 10 cars from the pump when her car ran out of gas. With the help of a few of the others in line, we pushed her car up, one spot at a time, still waiting our turn.
When we were 2 cars from the pump, the attendant, a guy roughly our age (18 - 19) walked out to the curb, put up a Out Of Gas sign and began waving everybody out of line, yelling "No More. We're Out", etc. Everyone was pissed, especially us. Here we were, out of gas, 15 feet from the pump, and stuck.
I asked the guy what we should do. He said "Look, it's 11:00 on a Friday night. We'll be stuck here all night if we stay open, so I'm shutting down so we can go get some beers. Wait till everybody leaves and I turn off the lights. Then you can get your gas." After the line was gone, he helped us push her car to the pump, asked us how much we wanted and filled her tank to top.
Every since that night, I chuckled whenever I saw an Out Of Gas sign at a station.
http://earthfirst.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/no-gas-sign.jpg
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The seventies - '79? - was rather fun. Didn't have any money, so driving or the price of gas wasn't a big problem. Being able to afford food for 2 small children was a problem........price of milk and baby food was raised two or three times while it was on the shelf at the grocery store. (At some point, my parents were making about 13% interest on CD's :o(
My employer turned the thermostat way down, dropped the dress code, and let everyone wear jeans and sweatshirts or whatever to work. Very cool and rather fun.
Employer owned a large, vacant piece of land across the road from our plant. They installed irrigation, bought some tillers, built a little shed to keep the tillers in and plotted out garden plots in three sizes for employees to use. Those who signed up for free garden plots took turns closing up - putting away the tillers and locking the shed - each evening. We had a "garden committee" to oversee but never had any problems or abuse. It was a pretty cool way of hanging out with other employees and trading veggies and gardening tips.

[...]
========================================================== Just before the oil embargo my Dad bought me one of these. I remember driving around on empty streets in El Paso.
http://jeffwinterberg.com/blog/0004/58subaru360.jpg
It must got got 70 or 80 mpg. Kawasaki 350 2 stroke engine.
olddog
PanHandler wrote:

Geez! When I was in college gasoline was 22 cents a gallon. $5 in the tank of The Dodge Dart and you could drive all night.
TDD
<Snip>

You must be almost as old as I am. Best I ever saw gas was 18 cents in the early 1950's. That was in S Texas.
Bob-tx
Bob wrote:

I don't remember noticing 18 cents but I didn't really notice gas prices until I started buying gas. It was 22 cents a gallon or so at the JC Penney at the Gateway Mall in Jacksonville, Florida in 1969--they were the cheapest in the area at the time. I'm sure it was less than that when I was younger.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Regular leaded gasoline was 22 cents at The San Ann out in the country. 100 octane "Ethyl" was 25 cents. In the big cities, gas was 35-37 cents at the name brand fancy stations. This was 1971 and we were still sending men to the moon. Damn, we used to be able to some cool stuff in this country "USA".
TDD
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 03:06:50 -0600, Bob wrote:

I remember those gas prices and gas price wars. Unfortunately, I started driving just before gas hist $1.00. I don't remember paying less than $.60.

Interesting to read about how cheap fuel once was! I live in Ontario, Canada and gas is currently sitting at 98.7 cents. I jut filled up because I heard it was going to go back up a few cents before the weekend. It is sad that we find this cost to be 'cheap' and I have heard that it won't get any cheaper. It's unfair to have to pay this ridiculous price because of the things we have to do daily. Work, groceries, school etc. Something has to be done!

In the 60s, maybe. Early 70s, 16 cents a gallon? No way.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 11:27:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

70-73 maybe. Oil was under $20 a bbl. Went to $50 in 73.
I was a young, married, Marine corporal making about $250 a month in 1972. For entertainment we used to drive around NC in my 65 corvair and keep gas in it by picking up 2cent bottles for deposits.
Remember the Sunoco black plastic cereal bowl give-aways? That was our 'pattern'.<g>
Jim

I worked in a hardware store in CT in the early 70's. I vividly remember standing at the Getty station on Hope St in Stamford filling the truck with gas thinking how expensive it was to fill it at .49 a gallon.
But I came in an hour ago and have no idea where my keys are...but remember that trivial event.
Then again, I was a teen in the late 60's. I could be imagining everything since then
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yep, driving into a gas station and buying just a buck or two of gas wasn't considered outrageous back in the early 1950s, when I used to work in a gas station nearly every day after school.
And, I had to wash the car's windshieldand check the oil and water (Yep, water, I was in San Francisco where nobody used antifreeze back then.) and vacuum out the front floor too.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)