OT: Poll: Gas prices

Here on the central Florida Panhandle it's averaging $3.25, in the Pensacola area around $2.90 I clicked around here:

and the lowest I could find was $2.25 in south Texas.

Reply to
PanHandler

$2.46 today in S Missouri

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Never thought that would seem like a bargain!

Reply to
PanHandler

It's still over $3 in central Texas.

I think the distributers do this on purpose. Raise the price really high then lower it to make you feel better about paying 50 cents more than last year. Also, notice how the price drops just before the election. Who do you think the oil companies want you to vote for?

olddog

Reply to
olddog

No doubt in my mind. I wish they were as liberal with the vaseline as with promises.

Reply to
PanHandler

Geez! When I was in college gasoline was 22 cents a gallon. $5 in the tank of The Dodge Dart and you could drive all night.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You must be almost as old as I am. Best I ever saw gas was 18 cents in the early 1950's. That was in S Texas.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

I don't think the oil companies set the prices so much as the "speculators" do. That is, the people who calculate need vs supply in the future. When Bush revoked the Executive Order banning off-shore drilling in June, the price of crude dropped 25% in four weeks. When the Congress allowed the law prohibiting off-shore drilling to expire, the price dropped another 20%.

Evidently the people contracting for future delivery figured there'd be plenty of oil in one, two, five years.

As for the price of gas dropping just before an election, the price drops EVERY year in October as the peak driving season (and exotic summer blending requirements) expires.

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't remember noticing 18 cents but I didn't really notice gas prices until I started buying gas. It was 22 cents a gallon or so at the JC Penney at the Gateway Mall in Jacksonville, Florida in

1969--they were the cheapest in the area at the time. I'm sure it was less than that when I was younger.
Reply to
J. Clarke

Regular leaded gasoline was 22 cents at The San Ann out in the country. 100 octane "Ethyl" was 25 cents. In the big cities, gas was 35-37 cents at the name brand fancy stations. This was 1971 and we were still sending men to the moon. Damn, we used to be able to some cool stuff in this country "USA".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yep, driving into a gas station and buying just a buck or two of gas wasn't considered outrageous back in the early 1950s, when I used to work in a gas station nearly every day after school.

And, I had to wash the car's windshieldand check the oil and water (Yep, water, I was in San Francisco where nobody used antifreeze back then.) and vacuum out the front floor too.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

$3.39 - $3.69 in Western NY, Lake Ontario region.

It's always higher around here - they blame it on delivery charges.

Speaking of gas prices back in the old days, here's my story.

During the rationing period in the 70's, I lived in NYC and had to put up with the long lines, odd & even days, $5.00 limits and the home- made "Out Of Gas" signs that would pop up suddenly.

One Friday night, just before 11:00, my girlfriend and I were waiting in line to get our $5.00 worth. We were 9 or 10 cars from the pump when her car ran out of gas. With the help of a few of the others in line, we pushed her car up, one spot at a time, still waiting our turn.

When we were 2 cars from the pump, the attendant, a guy roughly our age (18 - 19) walked out to the curb, put up a Out Of Gas sign and began waving everybody out of line, yelling "No More. We're Out", etc. Everyone was pissed, especially us. Here we were, out of gas, 15 feet from the pump, and stuck.

I asked the guy what we should do. He said "Look, it's 11:00 on a Friday night. We'll be stuck here all night if we stay open, so I'm shutting down so we can go get some beers. Wait till everybody leaves and I turn off the lights. Then you can get your gas." After the line was gone, he helped us push her car to the pump, asked us how much we wanted and filled her tank to top.

Every since that night, I chuckled whenever I saw an Out Of Gas sign at a station.

DerbyDad03

The seventies - '79? - was rather fun. Didn't have any money, so driving or the price of gas wasn't a big problem. Being able to afford food for 2 small children was a problem........price of milk and baby food was raised two or three times while it was on the shelf at the grocery store. (At some point, my parents were making about 13% interest on CD's :o(

My employer turned the thermostat way down, dropped the dress code, and let everyone wear jeans and sweatshirts or whatever to work. Very cool and rather fun.

Employer owned a large, vacant piece of land across the road from our plant. They installed irrigation, bought some tillers, built a little shed to keep the tillers in and plotted out garden plots in three sizes for employees to use. Those who signed up for free garden plots took turns closing up - putting away the tillers and locking the shed - each evening. We had a "garden committee" to oversee but never had any problems or abuse. It was a pretty cool way of hanging out with other employees and trading veggies and gardening tips.

Reply to
Norminn

You forgot the free drinking glasses

Reply to
sanity

$3.20- give or take-- in north Georgia.

Reply to
Reggie Dunlop

[...]

Just before the oil embargo my Dad bought me one of these. I remember driving around on empty streets in El Paso.

It must got got 70 or 80 mpg. Kawasaki 350 2 stroke engine.

olddog

Reply to
olddog

NorthCentral Indiana ---> Regl 2.95 / gal.

Reply to
coffee

Yeah - in the early 60's I had an ESSO station in PA. Sold gas for 24.9 and had to give free glasses and carriers, along with S&H Green Stamps. Gas sales were a losing proposition. I made my living doing repairs inside.

Reply to
PanHandler

Last winter in the Keys, there was something like 20 cents/gal difference between Key Largo and Key West.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman