OT - plastic jar sticky stuff

I've been buying off brand of salted peanuts. The jars are a good size, and I'd like to use them for other things. The label cuts off, but leaves some sticky adhesive on the side of the jar.
How to remove the sticky? I've been using WD-40 and paper towels. Is there a better way?

If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid - the kind for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.
That's really the only reason I buy it.
On 02/14/2013 03:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What's the difference between the two?
Jon

Zippo Cigarette Lighter Fluid:
http://www.co.vermilion.il.us/MSDS/EMA/Zippo%20Lighter%20Fluid-USA.pdf
Kingsford Charcoal Lighter Fluid
http://callico.chemtel.net/msds/CP-71175.pdf
Jon Danniken wrote:

Cigarette lighter fluid = naptha
Charcoal lighter fluid = kerosene
Bulk of either is cheaper. Way cheaper.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
If soaking them in hot water doesn't do it, I use lighter fluid - the kind for cigarette lighters, not charcoal.
That's really the only reason I buy it.

Why does plastic matter? Why cotton swaps? I use paper towels.
Squeeze the fluid over the glue residue. Soak the paper towel also. Wipe. Repeat as required.
Keep changing the paper towels since the residue will build up on them.
Some fluids will melt through some plastics.
Paper towels are good. I've got plenty of napkins from BK and McD.
Why does plastic matter? Why cotton swaps? I use paper towels.
Squeeze the fluid over the glue residue. Soak the paper towel also. Wipe. Repeat as required.
Keep changing the paper towels since the residue will build up on them.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I use some oily stuff called De-Solv-It but I've heard that any kind of oil based such as WD-40, olive oil, Goo Gone, will work.
My WD-40 is in the garage, but my desolvit and olive oil are in the kitchen where I'm usually doing that :-)
I've also used hair dryer heat for some label removing projects so that the glue comes off with the label.
And I buy my salted roasted Spanish peanuts in bulk now that I discovered them at my nearby produce store, so I don't get any more cans with them. Being a can saver, I just pour my bulk peanuts into the old cans with plastic lids.
--
Mike Easter

I'd not thought of cooking oil. Might work. Thanks.
I use some oily stuff called De-Solv-It but I've heard that any kind of oil based such as WD-40, olive oil, Goo Gone, will work.
My WD-40 is in the garage, but my desolvit and olive oil are in the kitchen where I'm usually doing that :-)
I've also used hair dryer heat for some label removing projects so that the glue comes off with the label.
And I buy my salted roasted Spanish peanuts in bulk now that I discovered them at my nearby produce store, so I don't get any more cans with them. Being a can saver, I just pour my bulk peanuts into the old cans with plastic lids.
--
Mike Easter

I use cooking oil for the residue. No chemical fumes.
I use plastic jars for storage all the time. Each brand seems to use a different adhesive . These are the steps I use for a new jar I haven't figured out :
With the lid off, immerse the jar in a bowl of water for about a half hour. Some glues dissolve in water.
If it doesn't work, try swabbing the glue with alcohol . Some glues dissolve in alcohol.
Next try will be gasoline. Wet a cloth with gasoline and see if that takes it off.. I've never had to go past this step...
Next suggestion would be acetone.
None of these above will have an effect on plastic, but if you doubt it, just dab a little on the bottom of the jar to see if anything changes.. Good luck.

Rubbing alcohol sometimes works on label glue. If not, then Goo Gone will likely dissolve the stuff. Either one is safer to use than gasoline, acetone or paint thinner. Goo Gone smells like citrus oil and is marked non toxic.
Tomsic
Overnight in bucket of water had no effect.
Alcohol dry gas, no effect.
Goo-Gone, none available to try.
Olive oil, no effect.
Ronsonol lighter fluid, did tend to loosen the sticky.
Back to using WD-40 and paper napkins.
Rubbing alcohol sometimes works on label glue. If not, then Goo Gone will likely dissolve the stuff. Either one is safer to use than gasoline, acetone or paint thinner. Goo Gone smells like citrus oil and is marked non toxic.
Tomsic
On Feb 15, 8:33 am, "Stormin Mormon"

ill

one

xic.

re: "Overnight in bucket of water had no effect."
Of course an overnight session in a bucket of water will have no effect.
Even if you started with hot water, which will soften the adhesive, as soon as the water cools down, it will harden right back up again. Perhaps if you had some agitation while the adhesive was soft, it might have washed away, but it is going to require some mechanical work introduced while the adhesive is soft.
re: " Ronsonol lighter fluid, did tend to loosen the sticky."
As expected. However, just like the WD-40 it requires some mechanical action to remove it once "loose".

GooGone

PB's also great for hiding scratches in dark stained furniture. The oil darkens the exposed wood and helps it blend in. BTDT
It's not bad with bananas either. As a matter of fact, I just finished a PB&B sandwich about 10 minutes ago. No lie.
Oren wrote:

Tried nose grease?
--

dadiOH

My favorite is kerosene.
I usually soak the jar in soapy water first, and scrub off any "plasticy" paper that might slow the absorbtion of the kerosene, and thoroughly dry the item. Then apply the kerosene. After the kerosene has softened and loosened all the residue, I quickly head back to the sink and use hot soapy water to wash away everything.
For smaller containers, I often just drop them into my jar of kerosene, put the lid on, and slosh it around until the label areas are thoroughly wetted. Even resistant labels will loosen, given enough time.
The trick is to make sure to not let the kerosene evaporate away at any point during the process.
--
croy