OT: Pi in the sky

Page 1 of 2
You're not going to believe this:
========================================= Congresswoman Martha Roby (R-Ala.) is sponsoring HR 205, The Geometric Simplification Act, declaring the Euclidean mathematical constant of pi to be precisely 3. "That long-held empirical value of pi, I am not saying it should be necessarily viewed as wrong, but 3 is a lot better," said Roby, the 34- year old legislator representing Alabama's second congressional district, ushered into office in the historic 2010 Republican mid-term bonanza. Roby, raised in Montgomery, Ala., is on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce, and the Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary and Secondary Education. "It's no panacea, but this legislation will point us in the right direction. Looking at hard data, we know our children are struggling with a heck of a lot of the math, including the geometry incorporating pi," Roby said. "I guarantee you AMERICAN SCORES WILL GO UP ONCE PI IS 3. (my emphasis) It will be so much easier." "For decades, we've all been learning that pi is this crazy 'irrational' number. And any number with no end is, not, well, it makes it really hard," Roby said. "We talked about making pi 3-and-a- third, but that wouldn't really help, because you're still then stuck with endless threes." HR 205 is expected to pass the House of Representatives but even if it also passes in the Senate -- unlikely with Democrats maintaining a slim majority -- President Obama has pledged to veto.
==================== I went to her Web site & it's there! Along with other items that make Sarah Palin look like Einstein.
HB
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're such a liar. Not surprising from any leftist loser.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mar 26, 6:25 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Non sequitur.
HB
Add pictures here
βœ–

You're stupid, too. Not surprising, since you are a leftist loser.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What's the bother when they learn Pi=3.000000, won't even know which side is left or right.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's a good point, but look who's running the schools.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Higgs Boson wrote:

Tautology.
Add pictures here
βœ–

;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/26/2011 8:45 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Nomad, this is Kirk your creator, you will behave yourself. :-)
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 18:19:21 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

This is inaccurate. She representst Albabama's 2.4th congressional district, but she calls it the second in her press releases, because 2nd is a lot better.

That is, it will do nothing for squares.
But according to her webpage: "Mar 24, 2011 The β€œPi” story is a hoax and is untrue.
The β€œPi” story is a hoax and is untrue. It was written by a liberal blogger in the comedy section of the Huffington Post. No such bill exists."

It woudl help if you gave the url. Actually you should have saved page as....a webpage complete.

Are the other things still there?

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/26/2011 5:19 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Ya know, "Higgs", this isn't the first time I'd heard about this story, so of course when I read your posting my BS meter immediately went off.
So I checked up on it. First of all, one of the first Google results that popped up was this denial from Rep. Roby herself: http://roby.house.gov/press-release/%E2%80%9Cpi%E2%80%9D-story-hoax-and-untrue
Next I checked Snopes, which one should always do first before posting such questionable assertions. Of course, they have it flagged as "false": http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.asp
Better luck next time. (Hey, I'm as disappointed as you, as I'm always on the lookout for such shenanigans and tomfoolery on the right. Some of the things "they" are proposing to do are actually more outrageous than this ...)
--
The current state of literacy in our advanced civilization:

yo
wassup
βœ–

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN! And I'M the one who's always e-yelling at certain friends of mine (somewhat religious, credulous types) who keep forwarding all kinds of sentimental "patriotic"/doggie/kiddy crap without checking Snopes! Hoist on my own petard, zounds!
Guess my threshhold of credulity has dropped so far vis-a-vis these types that I failed to listen to the dull bell tolling in back of my so-called brain.
I did take a little trip down Martha's lane, and found she co- sponsored several bills closely following the Party line. <http:// tinyurl.com/45jso75> The usual stuff.

I'm given to understand that they put that kind of, uh, "language" in their employment applications and then are baffled why they are not hired. (Actually, I have a sneaking fondness for "yo" and "wassup", but am careful where I use them.
HB
HB
Add pictures here
βœ–

No need for Snopes. The post said it was on her web site. I Googled her name, went to her web site, sure enough, there is mention of the hoax.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not to mention that Pi==3 is a story from *LONG* before Martha was born. The story has been passed around about Kansas, Oklahoma, and Indiana. The latter one has some credence behind it (there was such an attempt in the 1890s), but the common thread is that it's another case of coastal (left and right) snobs looking down their (long) noses at those in fly-over country. The one about Martha was from the Huffington Post, so you know it's baloney.
Add pictures here
βœ–

More than you ever wanted to know about that can be found right here: http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/agcomm/newscolumns/archives/CC/2010/100225CC . html
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/27/2011 3:45 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Not hard to understand. Liberals have this imagined superiority thing where they simply think they are smarter than everyone else. So the article was surely obvious proof and a confirmation of that but since you are superior you would have known to check the facts...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/27/2011 10:07 AM, George wrote:

"Facts?! We don't need no stinking facts!" Says the Liberal Commiecrat. "All we have to do is scream and whine a lie loud enough and long enough to get weak minded sheeple to say: OK, OK, yea it's true, now will you just shut up go away!" :-(
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
http://roby.house.gov/press-release/%E2%80%9Cpi%E2%80%9D-story-hoax-and-untrue
Add pictures here
βœ–
Higgs Boson wrote:

Even if it were true it would be silly as pi is not 3.14etc but is the ratio of a circle's diameter to its circumference; namely, 22/7...a nice, precise value.
--

dadiOH

22/7 is a good approximation for pi but slightly larger. If you were ordering concrete for a circular patio, 22/7 would give you a little extra.
Paul
Add pictures here
βœ–