OT? painting plastic?

Hello fellow home repairers :)

I just bought one of those plastic easels for my 3 year olds at a garage sale. It's made out of that plastic that all the new jungle-gym type toys are made of.

On one side I want to put on that chalk-board paint.

So, how do I prime that kind of plastic so paint will stick to it well?

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
DiezMon

Actually, a good cleaning with TSP might be just as good. I've done it with gas cans and the results were superb. I -think-, not sure, Krylon sells a spray primer that should be excellent for your purposes.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Never tried it but Krylon makes a paint specifically for bonding to plastics (Krylon Fusion). I would ask if it was compatible with the chalkboard paint and then use it as a primer. There is very little info on their web site other than color selection.

Reply to
Jmagerl

You would be better off, in my opinion, to use a piece of hardboard for the chalk board. Paint it with the chalk board paint then attach it. You will get poor results just painting the plastic in my experience.

"Hardboard" is not hardwood, in case I'm using a term that is not familiar to you. Hardboard is available at Lowes and Home depot in 2x4, 4x4 and 4x8 size. They will cut it for you to size. Its 1/4" thick, more or less, dark brown in color. Its also sometimes called masonite, a brand name.

Its on Home Cheapos web site, not sure if this URL will work for you

Their description is Eucaboard

3/16 In. x 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. Service Tempered hardboard Model 832780

I know my local store has it, as I said, 4x8, 4x4, 2x4 sizes although website only shows 4x8.

This is really the best way to go in my opinion.

The plastic, if its the kind I am envisioning, will hold 4 drywall screws. Probably all that's needed to attach it. To dress it up more you could use some decorative washers. Like these

Wow, I'm really spending too much time on these posts!

Have fun.

Let us know what you do, and how it turns out.

Good luck.

Reply to
No

IF you go the add on hardboard route, you can also buy from HD and Lowes a white melamine bath panel (4X8 about $10)and use whiteboard markers instead of chaulk. Its alittle bit neater (until the kids start marking on the walls). I have also seen whiteboard paint.

Jmagerl

well, actually the thing has a white board on one side and a chalk board on the other.

The chalk board is that same type of plastic, but it's smooth.

I do have some hardboard around, left over from my workbench top, maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Tim

DiezMon