OT: Old laptop to get Internet on TV

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:18:55 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Ummm, it doesn't appear to say that you need a laptop. It apparently needs a "remote" to operate it and that can be a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Which makes sense. I can use my smartphone to control my Tivo for example.
On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 04:54:39 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I am still not sure why you folks say it is so wrong to hook an old (dedicated) PC to your TV through the 15 pin connector virtually every new TV has. Hook this up to your network. You can use it to stream from virtually every streaming service out there but you can also use it like a slide projector to look at pictures, you can play music, I heart radio, and if you have a PiP TV you can even browse the web while you are watching regular TV content in the other box. One thing we like to do is have the MP3 player running for the sound and put up a slide show or a video on the screen.

I just responded to another post of yours about most flat screens having a VGA input. That is simply not true...*especially* on newer TVs.

True. It is saying that SOMETHING is needed to which the TV can function as a monitor. In the context of this thread (see subject) that would be a laptop.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:49:41 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

It's not even saying that. The smartphone, PC, or tablet is just used to *control* what happens on the TV. For example, with my Tivo, I can use my smartphone and it's display to search for a Youtube video or a Netflix movie. Having found it, I can then command that it be played and it shows up on the TV by being streamed to the Tivo. I wouldn't say the TV is functioning as the monitor for my smartphone, any more than I'd say the TV is functioning as a monitor for an ordinary remote. The TV is essentially serving as a display for the chrome device.
If you're using a PC and it's video card to play media and then have the TV connected to it, in that case I'd say the TV is functioning as a monitor, because it's connected to and displaying what would normally show up on the PC monitor.

All of mine have one and virtually all I see in hotels do too. We always take a lap top to use in the hotel.
I suppose the MPAA is trying to get rid of them tho. They want everyone to drink the HDMI Kool ade so they can come along and turn on the DRM hardware that is in it. It is all part of a clever plot to stop copying movies once and for all. You can't watch them if the cable going to the TV blocks them, no matter what you are trying to play them from.

Well, you must have a bunch of older flat screens then. And how old do you think those TVs in those hotels are? That Westinghouse that I have with a VGA input was made in '07. Given the lifespan of a flat panel TV those hotels are set for another 20 years. lol

OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless, the laptop (for this thread) is needed.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:25:57 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

What do you mean a laptop is needed? If the OP has a smartphone, she can use that with Chromecast. Or a tablet. IDK about you, but I'd rather use one of those to control my TV media source than a laptop and if you already have a smartphone, all you need is Chromecast. That is where we're headed, to stream internet video directly to the TV. Many new TVs have the capability built-in. Or you can buy a Chromecast or similar cheap widget. Before I went out to buy a PC or notebook to use for streaming video to a TV, I'd fully investigate the other alternatives, especially when they could be just $40.
On 4/9/2014 9:03 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, if you have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan. Plus you are limited to Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, etc.
You can find a laptop on Craiglist for very little money and then it can used as a dedicated media device.
My little brother bought a Chromecast last December and he isn't happy with it because there are some kind of conflicts between it and his Samsung tablet. He says it works fine with his laptop but was pissed after he bought it because he wanted to use his tablet.
Personally I have all of the TV stations that I would ever need with my current cable package. For movies, I use The Pirate Bay :)
On 4/9/2014 11:07 AM, Ron wrote:

And before you say it, I know a smartphone can be used with a router, but then we are getting into another area. We don't know what kind of setup the OP currently has. Also, some of the older smartphones don't have wifi capability. And, my girlfriends iPhone on occasion has somehow switched itself from my router to her 4G connection.
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:22:51 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

See my detailed reply to your previous post. With Chromecast of a similar device, the streaming video does not go through the smartphone, tablet, whatever. It's just used to choose the streaming video and start it. The actual streaming video is from wireless router to the Chromecast directly.

But she does.

It would be a pretty old smartphone. They've all had that for many years now. And so what? We shouldn't offer alternate solutions because she might have an old smarthphone?
And, my girlfriends iPhone on occasion has somehow

Irrelevant.
On 4/9/2014 11:46 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'm the one that brought up using a router. You said you could use a smartphone, tablet, or PC. I don't recall you saying to use a router *with* the smartphone and/or tablet.
So, if you stream a video with a smartphone using your 3G/4G connection it isn't using any bandwidth?

Well, since the smartphone is just used to start the video then using your cellular connection should be just fine, right?
http://www.att.com/att/datacalculator/
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:43:37 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

Follow the thread. No one ever suggested using a smartphone to stream video. The suggestion was made that she could use *Chromecast* or a similar device. You use a smartphone, tablet, or PC to *control* the Chromecast, select what you want to view, and start it. The streaming video doesn't go through the phone,tablet or PC. The streaming video goes from internet cloud, to your wifi router, to the Chromecast. That is how that and similar devices work.

Again, see the above and look at what Chromecast is and how it works.

No because the smartphone needs to be communicating with the Chromecast device on your local wifi network. Cellular data connection has no relevance.

irrelevant
On 4/9/2014 1:02 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Gotcha. I didn't know exactly how it worked but you have cleared that up.
Also, my brother was supposed to mail (he lives in another state) his Chromecast to me but never did. So I guess it is sitting in a junk drawer. :(
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:07:20 AM UTC-4, Ron wrote:

The streaming video doesn't go through the smartphone. The smartphone is just used to select what gets *streamed* to the Chromecast device. The actual streaming video is from your wireless router directly to the Chromecast. The above is what DaddiOh apparently doesn't understand either.
And it's incorrect that you're limited to a few sources. AFAIK, anything that you can view on a Chrome browser, you can view on Chromecast.

I'm sure we could all find some incompatibility problems with anything. And I'm not saying that she should use Chromecast. Just that:
A - As others have suggested, it's an alternate solution. If she has a smartphone and wireless router she can implement it for $40 instead of buying a laptop.
B - A smartphone is what I'd use to control what I'm watching on TV, rather than a notebook. A lot more convenient.
C - The whole world is moving to streaming video directly to the TV, with many TV's already having built-in internet capability.
She can do whatever she pleases, but I don't see anything wrong with looking at all the options and the choices should be made on fact, not incorrect info. One advantage I see in a "PC" based approach is that it can also serve as a DVR.

That's where I am too. Over the years I've looked at the available movies from Netflix, etc, but there is enough similar stuff on cable that I'm already paying for and not enough special stuff on the NEtflixs, etc that I'm really interested in.

She specifically asked about laptops. Not smart phones, not tablets...laptops.
Someone provided a link to a gizmo and asked if a laptop was even needed. I replied to that reply pointing out that the provided link specifically said that an external device was needed. I don't care which one she - or you - use but OP asked about laptops.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 10:41:36 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

It's a mighty strange view that because she said she's looking at buying a laptop as the solution, it means that a laptop is required. She's clearly looking at solving a problem, ie getting internet video to a TV. People proposed alternate possible solutions, which seems approriate, one of which was Chromecast. Chromecast doesn't require a laptop or even a PC. She could use a smartphone or tablet, which for most people, is going to be a lot more convenient and easy to use.
And then when I pointed out that out, you responded with more obfuscation:
"OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless, the laptop (for this thread) is needed."
Just because she asked about using a laptop to stream video to TV doesn't mean that a laptop is required for Chromecast. It's an *alternate* solution and you can even use a smartphone.

Below is what you actually posted:
Don: > Do you need a laptop at all?
You: The site you linked says so...
"Google's Chromecast is a small dongle that plugs into a spare HDMI port on your TV to stream media from the internet to the living room screen using your smartphone, tablet or computer as a remote."
I don't care which one she - or you -

So, it's better that we just stick to what someone who obviously isn't too sure what the best solution is, thinks they need, rather than offer alternatives that may make more sense and cost less? Say she has a smartphone. She can buy Chromecast for $40. But she should stick with only considering a laptop because that's what she was originally considering? When the whole world is moving to streaming internet video to TV's directly, she shouldn't even consider it? Good grief.

If you run into that "no VGA input" problem, get one of these
http://www.meritline.com/vga-to-hdmi-audio-video-av-converter---p-67325.aspx

The issue Ron was talking about was some new TVs don't have a 15 pin VGA port, making it harder to find a PC that would direct connect. This converter will do the job.

I don't use wireless to my TV either. The old Compaq d600 is on an ethernet cable from the router (as were the 2 other PCs before it)