OT-Norton Adware/Malware

Page 3 of 4

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 06:58:31 -0700 (PDT), gpsman

Only problem is, there are NUMEROUS trojans out there that WILL disable it - but while disabling it is not (apparently) all that difficult, irradicating it is a different story.

Number 1 according to who? I think you better go read some reviews. And I mean real reviews, not ones from magazines that advertise their product.
In wrote:

Yes. YOU should read some current reviews.

I have. See "World Bench Test" page 13.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance_dec09.pdf

Norton - either you swear BY it , or you swear AT it. There is no middle ground.

That hasn't been worth remembering for well over 10 years.

Welcome to the 21st century.
For every pissed off consumer one might lose, there's one who is fed up with a competitor.
It's the consumer circle jerk swap. They all suck, they just swap customers.
Use Revo to remove all the crap proprietary program uninstallers choose to leave behind. http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html -----
- gpsman
On 3/27/2010 5:42 AM RonB spake thus:

Norton *is* a virus so far as I'm concerned.

- a Usenet "apology"

I use the free version of "AVG". Seems OK. Czech apparently........
On 03/27/10 01:09 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I gave up on Norton a couple of years ago after it kept blocking *itself* from accessing the Internet for updates. Been using Computer Associates' Internet Security Suite Plus since then -- free after "competitive upgrade" rebates using old Norton disks and title pages as evidence of ownership of competing product.
However, I see good reports of NOD32. I may try that when my CA subscription runs out at the end of the year.
Perce

I use COMODO's free firewall and Avira's free personal anti-virus programs. Why pay when there are excellent freeware choices?

I gave up on Norton (and agreed with the virus part) when it took me almost 4 hours to get the residual of one version out (after running what they laughingly called "uninstall") to the point I could put in the next version without conflicts.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

I agree, Norton has been a 'virus' for a long time to me also.
\

Your are absolutely correct.
---------------------- Ed?
Do you need to take a pill or anything?
:^}
wrote in message

It took courage, you have to admire that. Wild Turkey Rare Breed on the rocks is called for here.

Yeah. Agree.
And I gave up drinkin' for lent.
^%#%#$%^
In typed:

Probably just as well: Although Norton is good prosuct, people that simply install it without RTFM or setting it up properly aren't popular customers either, I"m sure. Oh, and also, a paid-for, installed verstion of Norton did not pop-up an (un-named by you) icon onto your desktop nor do they do covert software installs. I suspect you may still have malware floating around unless it had only attached itself to a Norton program; most unusual. You did use their removal tool to uninstall, right?
With no OS, revision levels, setup info, or any other data included, your post has no more value other than a frustrated sour grapes newbie description and maybe a vent.
Twayne`

As a more or less happy Norton user for many years I feel the need to add a couple of comments to this thread.
There were in fact some issues with the Norton uninstaller prior to the 2008 release. I might be off by a year or two. They did resolve those problems with later versions and their site does offer a complete removal tool for anyone who needs it for the older versions.
There is an issue that current users need to be aware of. The 2009 and newer versions shut down and offer no protection when your subscription expires. It doesn't just quit getting updates. It shuts down.
They extorted the renewal fee from me because the 2010 retail version I ordered online was two days late getting here. My choices were to pay or do without.
Needless to say I will be exploring other option the next time I purchase AV protection. And if this post costs them a few sales; well paybacks are fun!
Colbyt

Two things with norton: it does very little about malware installed by the user. Install weatherbug, wildtangent games etc., get popup ads, and watch norton do nothing. Spybot is the tool for that kind of crap.
Other thing is norton internet security is a pig. Pretty tremendous by XP standards, but mild compared to the mountain of pigshit known vista. NIS alone needs 200-300M of ram. Put NIS and XP SP3 on a 512M XP system and watch it require 2 minutes to load google's home page with nothing else running. Can you say thrashing? Install a router, don't let teenagers run out of anything but a limited account and you can leave NIS switched off. Or just buy more ram.
In typed:

lol, can you say you're a dummy? I have NIS 2010 running. Opening Google's home page on my XP Pro SP3 machine takes approximately 3 seconds from keycick to ful page displayed. And I can say "thrashing" et al, and I can also say I recognize a poorly maintained and setup computer when I hear such a description. The issue of knowingly running programs that have more RAM than the program needs is abundantly silly and using the minimums they offer, do not and will not create the symptoms you describe on a properly running machine. It can even be done with less than 512 of RAM too. But those experiments I'm sure would be beyond your capabilities to understand.
Twayne`

Was that a 512M system, you pathetic heap of human garbage?
Try not to be such an arrogent ignorant moron if you can help it.
<plonk> I can't imagine anything ever useful ever come your hole.