OT-Norton Adware/Malware

Page 2 of 4

On 3/28/2010 7:08 PM, Oren wrote:

without any warnings, special settings, or problems. I think you did too much. The Avira web site indicates that you can install 10 over 9 and your settings in 9 will be retained (and mine were).

After I removed v.9 and installed v.10 it worked fine. My OS is Windows 2000.
Not from the Readme file:
"When attempting to update, users who have a previously installed ANSI version of the Avira AntiVir Personal software package on a Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows XP operating system receive an update message.
To perform an update, proceed as follows:
1. Uninstall the installed version of Avira AntiVir Personal. 2. Download an up-to-date software package from the download area of the Avira AntiVir Personal website at http://www.avira.com/personal-download . 3. Install this software package on your computer."
All is well :-)
On 3/29/2010 3:36 PM, Oren wrote:

message from Stefan Berka, Avira's own administrator: "Hello, The new Avira AntiVir version 10 is available for download now.
* Avira Premium Security Suite, version 10.0.0.536 | User Manual * Avira AntiVir Premium, version 10.0.0.597 | User Manual * Avira Personal Free AV, version 10.0.0.561 | User Manual
The installation files are available at our website www.avira.com and www.free-av.com for AntiVir Personal Free. The existing version 9 has not to be uninstalled before because the new version upgrade the existing installation itself and import the existing configuration and license file."
Go figure!

It has to be the OS. W2k/Pro, XP/Pro requires the uninstall. Open your Help/Readme file in v.10. I'm sure v.10 will go on the bride's Vista, without a removal.
(Traces of MS DOS in my W2K OS?)
No worries...
In wrote:

1. You are wrong. What you alledge did not happen as you describe it.
2. Without using their removal tool Norton is not completely removed; same for many other programs, too. You'd know that if you'd read the docs supplied with it.
3. Heck, maybe you don't even need an AV program ayway, as one other character here was suggesting.
HTH,
Twayne`
Twayne wrote:

Okay, what DID happen?

Name one other program that requires a download to remove it. Just one.
Further, using an external tool violates both custom and Microsoft's standard that removal facilities be included with the installation.

Well, there's that.
In typed:

That's for you to say when you decide to describe it honestly or correctly whichever the case may be.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid 8279463
There's two; twice what you asked for. Find more on your own; I don't hold hands for snotheads.
Actually, there are quite a few others. Usually there's a good reason for it as described preivously. Why did you decide to snip out your own contentions? You may not be aware of them because you simply don't use the products. I know of 5 off hand I have that carry them for the same reasons previously stated and snipped by you.

Balderdash & BS: Nice try, but that is NOT a MS regulation. It's the FTC that provides that little bit of protection to the consumer. Not only that, it's not the same thing - entirely different - apples and oranges.

Please try it out.
HTH,
Twayne`

There have been a couple of crap programs my grandson managed to DL onto my wife's computer that you had to go to their website and do something. Been a while so I forget the details, but they were a real PITA to get rid of. Gator was one.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I haven't tried any of the recent Nortons, since maybe version 10. Used to use it on all my machines, since I could legally use it free from work. But it wouldn't play nice with XP (or some other program) on one machine, and kept throwing runtime errors even after a full reload. I finally decided Life Is Too Short for that BS, and bought a 3-machine license for PCTools antivirus, for 35 bucks a year. On secondary machines, like those I give away to broke relatives, I use the free AVG. Knock on wood, smooth sailing for 2+ years so far, with no unrecoverable crashes.
And yes, at least on the older versions of Norton, it was as hard to remove as AOL, especially if it was corrupted by one of the many exploits it didn't block.
--
aem sends...

Nero.

there's been a LOT of Nero, on a LOT of machines.
On Mar 28, 6:42pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Well, that's you. They make a removal tool for a reason.

with an older version - I generally upgrade rather than downgrade. I also use a registry cleaner when Ichange configurations, so it has never been an issue for me. Could also be a VISTA thing???
On Mar 30, 11:24am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I had Nero 7 on a machine with W2K, and I could not install Nero 8 (might have been 9) until I used the removal / cleaning tool.

an updated oem nero with the drive I've never had a problem installing it.
Ron wrote:

I stand corrected. Thank you.
On a completely separate matter, who in their right mind uses piece-of-shit Nero?
I mean, considering that free, equivalent programs exist that don't require special removal tools.

When you use either the remove function of the software itself or the Windows "add-remove program" ALL of the program should be removed.
With Norton it is NOT. You need to get the norton product eraser off the internet to remove the droppings left behind in all the corners of the OS by the invasive, bloated, and misbehaving program. It's almost as bad as the programs that pop up pretending to be your antivirus.
I no longer recommend ANY Symantec product to my customers.

I missed what point, "they intruded, installed themselves" what planet are you from, they dont install anything "by themselves"
ransley wrote:

Oh yes they do. If you invoke a feature of Microsoft Office that you've not previously installed, the main program will attempt to install it (often asking for the installation CD). If you click on, say, a PowerPoint file and you've not installed PowerPoint, MS Office goes nuts and will not be gainsaid in insisting on installing that package.
I've got a Hewlitt-Packard printer that the HP software, on every re-boot, insists on trying to install the printer drivers. During installation of those same drivers, I told the installation program that this machine would NEVER be used to send faxes. It insists on installing the fax software.
Of course this is Hewlitt-Packard and not the best example inasmuch as HP's software is almost as crappy as Norton's.

I suspect HP wrote the book on crappy bloated software.
N's persistence and proprietary uninstall app make sense to me as defenses to malware which might attempt to disable or uninstall it. -----
- gpsman