OT: Newsgroup client suggestions

Page 2 of 5
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 16:28:38 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"

If you want binary support I have been pretty happy with Giganews.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Astraweb has binaries. To repeat, I paid them $10 for 25 GB in June of 2008, and still have 24 GB available. Of course, I just look at 1 or 2 binary groups, and that only infrequently.
--
Best regards
Han

I thank other suggestions as well and will keep them in mind if something partakes which doesn't work out for me.
Justin Time wrote:

Just a note - you're not looking for a client - a client is what you view newsgroup articles with. You're looking for a provider.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Thanks

I'm all for astraweb. I have ued about 1 GB of the 25 I'm entitled to for the $10 I paid in June 2008 ...
--
Best regards
Han

I'm all for nntp.aioe.org. I have used an unknown amount of GB of the infinite I'm entitled to for the $0 I paid in June 2006.
On 11/27/2011 7:34 PM, Justin Time wrote:

but does not allow binaries. The two news servers do not carry the same groups so if one doesn't permit subscription to something you want, try the other one.
SBH wrote:

Some here have responded by suggesting a paid usenet service, which is an absolutely asinine suggestion without knowing if you are a binary-file downloader - which I'm thinking you're not if you were using your ISP's usenet service.
So going on the assumption that you just read and post to text groups, then there are several free usenet servers. I use aioe.org because no sign-up is required, hence there is no user-name or password hassle to deal with.
You are also asking about a usenet client. I assume you were already using one to access your ISP's server before they shut it down. (?)
I use an old client (netscape communicator 4.79) because it's what I've always used and it's very efficient in it's layout and ease-of-organization of posts and groups and very fast.
Home Guy wrote:

Most ISP's provided complete newsfeeeds - binaries and text, while they were in that business.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:08:35 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Charter is the only ISP I know of that still furnishes Usenet. Any more?
On 11/27/2011 5:53 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Earthlink still provides usenet including binaries. I forget to whom they farmed the actual service operation,
Justin Time wrote:

So the use of a free server (such as nntp.aioe.org) would be a satisfactory (if not cost-effective) replacement.

That server (news.wowway.com) still seems to be up and running. What happens when you try to access it using your user-name and password?

The user name/password prompt window continues to pop up, I continue to click OK and the process repeats.
Justin Time wrote:

Just FYI:
nslookup on News.wowway.com comes back with this:
FQDN: news.isp.giganews.com Alias: news.wowway.com IP address: 216.196.97.142
That IP address is owned by Giganews, and a telnet session to that host on port 119 does indeed result in a greeting by News.Giganews.com.
This *might* have been the case well before WOW announced they would turn off "their" usenet server - which is that Giganews was their usenet provider all along.
news-announce spewed a whole lotta horse shit.

Then why did you post via AIOE?
Look.
I know you're a troll - a shill for the owners of the paid usenet community (if not one of them).
The fact that you (a non-regular in this newsgroup - alt.home.repair) showed up here and shot-down the entire free usenet community makes that obvious.
This economy must be hurting you guys, but it's no excuse to storm into this group and this thread with your horse-shit guns blazing.
I feel embarassed and ashamed for you.

more of "hole in foot" for you.
My only error might be found in addressing your bullshit at all. Not a troll. k00k.
Do categorize yourself. Are you urban k00k meat or feral k00k game. Do demonstrate.
--

*redirect to AUK

Robert Charles Browne wrote:

Well, I'm a home owner. That's why I come here to alt.home.repair.
What about you, Robert? Do you enjoy home improvement and repair projects?
I mean before the, well, you know.
I'm so happy for you that they give you a computer to use!

this Sunday? Shame on you. k00k.

When has this thread ever turned to me? It i s _y o u_ who carnalize the topic, snipping the content relevant in order to make wood! A k00k touting a rogue server is where you began, why divert? Embarrassed at being proven so "k00k---y", k00k?
__________________
Newsgroups: aioe.news.helpdesk,alt.free.newsservers Subject: Re: Aioe's filter or posting broken? Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 09:09:38 -0500 Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server Lines: 29
And before Kerman gets all bent out of shape telling us that the admin doesn't have to tell us squat (which of course is true) let me just say that if you're going to go through the trouble of offering the public an open NNTP server, it's strange to mix that spirit of philanthropy with this degree of unnecessary operational opaqueness. __________________
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Re: OT: Newsgroup client suggestions Followup-To: alt.bullshit Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 09:52:23 -0500 Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server Lines: 34
Did you see how they tore up "news-announce" when he cross-posted this to afn? Wasn't that funny - in a sad way? Just like you?
__________________
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,alt.free.newsservers Subject: Re: OT: Newsgroup client suggestions Followup-To: alt.free.newsservers Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:09:00 -0500 Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server Lines: 224
One server claims to be run as a means of "free speech" for the oppressed masses in foreign countries, something of a misnomer as those same countries do not have "free" internet access, being largely censored feeds - AND - the operator bans whole domains when banning the newsgroup fails. _____________________________________________________________
Shuck my barnacles if that aint just pure k00k speak where you post exactly what "news-announce"[sic] posted two days earlier. Snipped out that poster's comments, placed your sickness as a question providing your own answer, k00k.
Just what caused your first cell split? Kermit haunting your ass or Dustin booting your single cell verbal diarrhea out of the ring... kookologists are watching, intrigued.
Newsgroups: alt.comp.virus,alt.privacy.spyware Subject: Re: BD believes I'm a founding partner of PirateBay. Followup-To: alt.bullshit Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 19:37:57 -0400 Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server Lines: 27
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Re: Just cut 30-foot tall 1.5 foot diameter oak (how long to dry out?) Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 22:14:04 -0400 Organization: Aioe.org NNTP Server Lines: 12
I hope you burn in hell for that. Too bad the tree didn't knock you down and split your skull open on the way down. __________________
Asking WHOis Guy.com.
Registrant: Mike Gleissner
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com ) Domain Name: GUY.COM
Domain servers in listed order: NS1.MEDIATEMPLE.NET NS2.MEDIATEMPLE.NET Registrant:     Media Temple Inc     8520 National Blvd.     Building B     Culver City, CA 90232     US          Domain Name: MEDIATEMPLE.NET     Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :          Handa, Michael      snipped-for-privacy@MEDIATEMPLE.NET     8520 National Blvd.     Building B     Culver City, CA 90232     US     Phone: 877 578 4000     Fax: 866 293 0819          Record expires on 20-Jul-2021
How is it one slapped down wetback from the north gets to use @guy.com in the Aioe.org sender field?
Do tell...k00k. You own guy.com, k00k? You do not own guy.com, k00k?
Robert Charles Browne wrote:

Are such questions on your mind often?

How does that make you feel?