OT medical billing

JIMMIE wrote the following:

My local orthopedic surgeon sent me a bill for $71.00. This was for 4 visits over a month. The $71 was my copayment after Medicare paid the bills at the Medicare rate. Here's the kicker. I didn't see a doctor on the first visit. I had an appointment but sat in the reception room for an hour after my appointment time before I got up and rescheduled my appointment. The receptionist apologized and said they were short handed that day. They billed Medicare who paid them $156 for me sitting in their reception room for an hour. The second and 3rd visits were OK I saw the doctor both times, the second time I scheduled an operation for my elbow. Way before my scheduled operation, I called them by phone and cancelled the operation. They billed Medicade for an office visit on the scheduled operation date, even though I had cancelled it by phone, and was paid another $156.. You know I'm not paying this $71 copayment bill, not even the amount for the two dates when I actually saw the doctor. Medicade paid them over 4 times the $71 they wanted from me, and for nothing. The next time I'm in the area, I will stop in and dispute the bill with them. If no satisfaction, I'll ask them if I should call Medicare and dispute the bill. I don't want to call them. I want to see their faces when I dispute it.

Reply to
willshak

Say the magic words.. Office of Inspector General. Mcaid and FBI drool over this kind of stuff. Especially getting billed for the cancelled appointment (providing it was cancelled 24 hours before.. otherwise they can bill you legally). If it is an ongoing thing you might be in line for a cut of the take.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Kurt Ullman wrote the following:

You know, I said Medicare 4 times and then Medicade twice. I am in the NYS Medicaid program, not the Federal Medicare program. I also suffer from dementia. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Same number same place. It is, after all the Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services. (g)

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The larger medical centers/hospitals are typically three months behind billing. Pay the bill, or at least part of it, and they will leave you alone for awhile. Or, you can always send the bill to your insurance company.

Reply to
Phisherman

I had an appointment yesterday and found that they no longer do billing in-house. In the past bills like this were just written off because it cost more to collect than they were worth. The cost of processing your account can be a significant portion of your bill.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

This, unfortunately, is where the words "Medicare Fraud" come from. Too loose in the office management, by my standards. I would worry that if they are this careless in billing, they may be careless in their healthcare, also.

Sorry to hear of this situation.

Linda H., M.D.

Reply to
Linda Hungerford