Plumber billing

We purchased a good quality polished brass faucet for a wall hung sink in our powder room as part of a remodel. I called the plumbing contractor we use and stressed several times I wanted ALL brass under the sink,which is very visable. I was assured the men had everything they needed on the truck. When the guy came,he was able to install only half the brass as he did not have all the parts,so finished the job in chrome. That was last December. Every time I called I was told they were having problems getting the parts. Finally,last month,I did what I should have done months ago and went to a plumbing supply house with a list of what the plumber said he needed. They said they would have it transferred from another branch the following day. I called the plumber and he said he would send a man to pick it up. The boss came to finish the install and found he was still short a few parts. This week,one of his men came back and finished. The company wants to charge 1.5 hours for the final work. I'm refusing to pay,claiming that,had they come with everything they needed the first time,the guy had,at most,another

30 minutes of labor. They also made an appointment to stop by the house prior to finishing to survey the job and make sure of what they needed,but never showed. Am I right in refusing to pay?
Reply to
hvsteve

Don't ask here, no one can tell you.

There are two sides to every story, and as long as emotions stay out of the equation, most people are reasonable and wish to find a solution that makes everyone satisfied.

I'm willing to bet that if you either call and make your case, or preferably, call and ask for a 1/2 appt with the owner, and that if everything you posted is true, then the charges will be waived or a refund will be given.

The guys that come to your house don't have the authority to make decisions like this, all they know is do the work and get the $.

The only thing that doesn't ring true about your story is the length of time that has passed. I don't know anybody that would wait for nearly a year for a simple finish like this to be completed..... there has to be something you are leaving out; if not, make sure you have writtten down every time you called, and every excuse you got from them.

A customer going to a supply house to get parts is unaccceptable, if I had to go to those lengths I would bill the plumbing company for my time.

Reply to
Matt

Depends. Are you ever planning on having anyone from that company in your house again?

Reply to
Goedjn

Jeff (Time heals all wounds...)

Peace.

Reply to
Matt

One other essential thing they have to know is that sh*t won't flow uphill.

Jeff (Time heals all wounds...)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sounds like they did a half-brassed job. (sorry)

Reply to
Ranieri

Yep. Unfortunately under some state laws they may have a workman's lien on you home if you don't pay. I would file threaten to file a complaint with the plumber's license board and state attorney general if they don't drop it.

Reply to
Art

Thanks for the replies. I didn't argue with the plumber. When he presented me with the bill,I had him get his boss on the phone and went around with him. This would not have dragged on so long except it was a cosmetic thing and they kept telling me they could not get the parts. In the interim,I had these guys install a heating system in my house,so feel justified in being a pain in the a--- based on the amount of money I've paid them to have grief with this small project. I've been so ripped off in recent years that,though these guys didn't do it,they happen to be the unfortunate ones who are in my sites when I have determined to dig in my heels and stop letting tradesmen play me for a sucker.

Reply to
hvsteve