OT: Math question

Page 2 of 3

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:37:51 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Plus the time it takes to pet the cat :-)

[snip]

When all else fails, check it with your watch. But then again, you may not walk 3 mph.

Two words: decimal system.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote the following:

Dewey's? That would require me to go to the Library.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

British army marching pace is 100 yards per minute (for 50 min. per hour) so you need 2 minutes and some seconds over. (The average human walks a bit more slowly.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

In the 4th Century AD, Vegetius wrote that a Roman soldier would carry up to 60 pounds. At normal speed, he was expected to go 20 miles in 5 hours. At fast speed, it would be 24 miles in 5 hours.
Could that be true? It would mean an average of 111 or 133 yards per minute for 5 hours, while the modern British pace would average 83.

property
Time ran more slowly then because there were no accurate clocks back then. Plus, Roman historians were notorious liars. I'll bet motivations were greater back then, especially with the Romans being so found of crucifixion, decimation and flogging.
I can't seem to find it, but I believe some of our more elite US forces can do ruck marches that are pretty close to the Roman numbers. It's a hell of a fast pace, though and type of terrain and footwear makes a big difference. Here's one non-official site:
http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-workouts/training-for-ruck-marches
that says SO's should be able to do: 18 miles with 50 lb ruck sack in 4.5 hours but I know I've seen higher numbers.
-- Bobby G.

How many times will the person take a nap before completing?
OK.
A "mile" is 1,000 paces of a Roman soldier.
In an hour, the Roman would walk 3,000 paces.
700 feet is "about" 100 paces.
IOW: it would take about 2 minutes.

John Gilmer wrote the following:

I am not a Roman soldier. I did serve in the US Navy, but didn't march much after boot camp.

In an hour, my ship (Cruiser) could go more than 36 miles..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Roman pace (two steps) was 5 ft. and mile was 5,000 ft. English added the extra 280 ft. to relate to other arcain measurements like the furlong and rod.
OP is either a nitwit or just wants somebody to converse with. Stuff like this is taught in grade school, boy scouts or boot camp. If he does not know it, it is a wonder he can type.

the extra 280 ft. to relate to other arcain measurements like the furlong and rod.
Your "math" and my math are about the same.

like this is taught in grade school, boy scouts or boot camp. If he does not know it, it is a wonder he can type.
So what? I had find responding.
And so did you!
In typed:

And you apparently think that calling others down makes you somehow look more important and above them. But you're wrong.

What in the world is wrong with asking a question? I took the guy at full face value.
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

It bothers the bejeebers out of people who know it all.
Steve
wrote

full
What are the top ten predictable responses to any out of the ordinary Usenet question post?
1) Look it up on Google you lazy f*ck 2) Even my dog knows the answer to that 3) Why do you want to know, are you planning a crime? 4) You're obviously a troll 5) What's you REAL motive? 6) That's the dumbest question I've ever hear 7) It's people like you that make me sick 8) It's people like you that have ruined Usenet 9) How can you NOT know that? 10) Welcome to Usenet, idiot.
I never cease to be amazed at the number of times that people welcome a new poster to the group with the most outrageously anti-social remarks. Poor Cheri comes to mind. It must float someone's boat in some way I don't quite get. As you say, one thing's clear. It bothers the bejeebers out of some people.
-- Bobby G.
Frank wrote the following:

Thanks Frank. Yeah, I'm probably a nitwit. As for the need for conversation remark, sort your sender list for my name.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY