OT: Joe Horn shooting

Page 2 of 5
Tom G wrote:

It's a different grand jury. In Texas, grand jurors are selected by the district judge in charge of grand juries. For a civil rights violation, a federal grand jury would be the deliberating body; I don't know how the members of a federal grand jury are selected.

Texas has a "Castle Doctrine" law that went into effect before Joe Horn got involved in his neighborhood squabble. The Castle Doctrine law grants immunity to all civil tort claims when force is used to protect life or property - although I think it has to be YOUR life or property at jeopardy.

Do Illegal Immigrants have civil rights down there ?

Not dead ones!
Rudy wrote:

Sure. In some Democrat-controlled counties, they can even vote.
Sometimes more than once.

Not always true. The state can simply give existing evidence to the federal prosecutor. Joe would be subpoenaed to the fed grand jury. No other evidence is necessary to seek a federal indictment for violations of federal law.
As one judge said many years ago: There is Texas law and there is Fedral law! Now get the hell out of Texas!
JC wrote:

No. Usually there is, but it's not a requirement.

I doubt the state would try to bring a lesser charge, like discharging a firearm in a residential are. What he did was legally fire his weapon.
The state can turn over all the evidence to the federal prosecutor. Then the feds drag him into a federal grand jury for a federal civil rights violations.
That is what happened in the Rodney King case. Officers were acquitted in state court (batting out of turn). A true bill by the federal jury, tried, convicted, short time in minimum security federal camp as they wrote their books.
I'd like to know the composition of the grand jury pool that returned the no bill.

Real Texans
Xan

I know that! Any blondes?
Xantipas wrote:

(Splorf!)

Whoa! 130 + messages in a day - wow.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You are correct. It took the Travis County District Attorney four grand juries before he found one that would indict Tom Delay.
As for discharging a firearm, loud noises, or failure to dispose of solid waste properly, exigent circumstances usually prevails.
Most U.S. Attorneys blanch at over-riding a local grand jury. It's tough to get a conviction when the defense can call 25 grand jurors as character witnesses...

policy a bit better now. Shoot em all, let God sort them out.

Shoot first, avoid questions later.
jack wrote:

Right. Foreign policy ain't hard. For a Texican.
Joe Horn is a pathetic mouse of a man who provides an example of what someone in the throws of panic and horrible judgement will do.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Nevertheless, it is a lesson to would-be burglars that they may encounter a panicked citizen with horrible judgment and, therefore, should consider another line of work, say, taxidermy or bridge painting.

In a burglary situation, you are at a disadvantage. You have to determine if that shadow in the kitchen is simple a family member before you fire. The burglar, especially in a state like Texas, is not going to hesitate to shoot anything that moves, since they don't care who they shoot. In fact, if there is a burglar in the kitchen and your 8 year old decides to wander down and get a drink of water, Texas Castle doctrine insures your child is dead meat. You'll be alerted by the sound of the gunshot killing her.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I take you have never came home and found everything missing? I live in the area of Mr. Horn and let me tell you that as a home owner I am tired of the crime. Look what happen just last week when someone broke into a home in Pasadena Texas and tied up the husband and wife and shot them dead because they though there was money in the house. Heck their young son came home and was shot in the head and may not live.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Only if you fail to identify your target before shooting. Some people are guilty of that.

some people seem to be more worried about the criminals rights and safety than the ODCs.(Ordinary Decent Citizens)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik