OT I thought I was using my credit card free.

Page 2 of 3

They should scan the check, enter the amount, and return the physical check to the customer (or destroy it). Everything is done electronically, just like using a debit card.
aemeijers wrote:

What's worse is the little old ladies who dig in their purses for exact change.

Not a problem if the purse is open and ready. The ones that piss me off are the ones that wait until the cashier tells them the amount due and then they open the pocket book, take out the purse count out the money. Did they think it may be free? Don't get me started on check writers.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep.
When I find myself behind one who waits for the total to start rummaging around in her purse for her check book, I ask her, stage whisper, "Let me ask you, did you think the name of this store might change while your purchase is being tallied? Or maybe the date? Or YOUR name?"
The last time this happened, the lady indignantly retorted: "If you say one more thing, I'm calling the manager!"
I replied: "One more thing."
Much hilarity followed.

Which is why I never pay cash at a gas station but use my credit card at the pump. Besides people like that there are the ones buying Slurpies and burritos or whatever other junk food is offered and you end up wasting 10 minutes of your time.

and the cashier doesn't stant there for five minutes scratching their head trying to figure out the change when the customer says "oh, I have the 2 cents here" after the sale of $27.97 is rung in and a fifty has been given in payment.
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:09:20 -0400, aemeijers wrote:
[snip]

I seldom use a CC for a small purchase, but one exception was for a root beer float at Sonic ($1.07). This is a place where they bring it out to your car and you pay there. They have CC machines and that's a lot faster than dealing with change.
--
79 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).
On 10/07/10 09:35 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In a restaurant in British Columbia a few years back the servers brought with them to the table a wireless terminal on which they entered the order, then at the end brought the terminal (or maybe a different one) through which my CC was swiped. Wonderfully straightforward.
Perce

More often these days it's the other way around -- the most up to date vendors don't require a signature for <$20 or so. At my company cafeteria, at the local Subway, Target, and other places, they take the card, swipe it, and hand it back. 5 seconds tops.
Now what takes time is the bozos who insist on paying with "exact change", waiting until the whole thing is rung up before starting to fish through their pockets/purses, carefully seeking out that last nickel or penny needed. You should only be allowed to pay with anything but bills if you have it out and ready to count when the total is available.
And no more checks, especially if you wait until the order is rung to start pulling out the checkbook, asking who to make it out to, and selfishly writing all the details in your register before carefully tearing it out and handing it over.
Josh

If their link is up all the time. In quiet stores I've been able to hear the modem dialing. Even then it doesn't really take that long, it just seems like it because there's nothing to do but wait.

Even more fun are the ones who overpay a little to get larger coins in change.

Some old hillbillies still take 5 minutes to scratch their "X" on the reciept??

Well yes, but not exactly. Discounts for cash have been allowed for some time, but few merchants beyond the odd gas station ever implemented it.
The recently passed Financial Reform Act made merchant agreement provisions against credit card surcharges and minimum charge amounts legal.
The recent settlement between the US Government and Mastercard and Visa made the merchant agreement provisions that prohibited surcharges for reward cards null (and prevented merchants from refusing specific card types) and also limit the amount credit card companies can charge merchants.
Amex is still fighting the government, claiming their market share is small enough that they aren't restraining trade by using those rules.
On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:45:32 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Technically it is the same thing and also against the contract with the card provider. Giving "bonus bucks" redeamable for merchandise with cash sales is not contrary to the contract - go figure.

I found this out when I refused to sign my signature on a computer digitzer and the clerk at the speedy mkt told me they didn't need my sig for purchases under $25. Same for most drive thru food chains. I also notice gas stations will usually allow you to buy $75-100 max purchase with no sig required if you use the card at the pump.
I refuse to allow my signature to be digitized. Regardless of what the clueless clerks try and tell you, the system will still spit out a hard copy (paper) receipt you can sign. If they refuse, cancel the purchase and walk away. If they want your purchase, they'll find someone who knows how the system works. If not, screw 'em.
nb
On 10/08/10 02:25 pm, notbob wrote:

Difficult to cancel the purchase when you've already pumped the gas.
Perce

Even more difficult to post an intelligent reply when you haven't read the post you're replying to.
nb
Of course, you can spin a couple circles, or sign "notbob" and the machine will take it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I write "ask for photo ID" on the signature space on the credit card. One clerk told me it voids the card, but he ran it through anyway. Most don't bother to even look at the signature once the card is worn a bit. I try to use only one card, presently citi and get 2% back and use it for everything I can and pay it off monthly. Used to be when 50 bucks were accumulated you could ask for the reward, now it's 150. They always mailed a check instead of just crediting it to the card. I suppose a lot of the rewards checks don't get cashed and that is why they mail them instead of an instant credit to the balance on the card? Sometimes they say they pay 5% on gasoline and restaurants but the way the rewards are calculated and printed out it's hard to determine what they pay on what. Most dollar only type stores take only cash or debit cards. I wouldn't dream of having a debit card, someone can drain your account if it were to get in the wrong hands, and my experience with money is when somehow your money finds it's way to someone else's pockets it's hard to get back.
During one particular day I signed "walmart sucks" and the system took it. Printed it on my reciept, too.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If the cashier isn't looking and you don't contest the charge, no one will ever see your signature. If you do contest the charge the cashier may be in deep do-do.