OT - Hurricane Sandy damage assistance

Page 2 of 4
On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:16:55 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Who said Washington couldn't solve the energy problem. Of course, there being no such thing as a free lunch...
On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 18:35:20 +0000, nestork

That is not true at all. It just has not happened in 74 years. (1938)
That is why they call these things "100 year storms" The history channel type shows have been predicting this hurricane for years. It was not a unique storm for that latitude, The only thing unusual was the path.
The same was true in New Orleans.

*LOTs* of people anticipated the results some made the predictions very public. Like Katrina where LSU had a hard copy report published 3 years ahead of time bean counters discounted the perditions in the clear hope that the gotcha would not be on their watch.
<snip>

I think there was enough warning of what was coming for most people, but, yes, the federal weather service stopped issuing warnings because Sandy wasn't a real hurricane anymore, and the local weathercasters were supposed to take over. I think this is being addressed for future events.

This always happens ... The lawyers like nitpicking. A prudent homeowner assesses the diverse risks and asks his insurance agent what coverage to get. Then prays for good quality advice ...
--
Best regards
Han

I believe you're talking about the WTC. The Empire State Building is quite a pile of steel and stone. It will take a direct strike from a bomber. ;-)
On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 17:14:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

A little bomber anyway (B-25)
On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 20:14:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

A Do little bomber. ;-)
Seriously, the building was built like the proverbial brick shithouse. The mast on its roof was designed to dock Zeppelins.

See also <http://www.celebrateboston.com/strange/plywood-palace.htm In addition to replacing the glass, I think they needed to add internal bracing ... Seems to happen rather often with big high rise buildings. Insufficient wind tunnel modeling has been the usual blame.
--
Best regards
Han

I know the WTC had some pretty serious modifications made to withstand hurricane force winds (and fire, BTW) but I'd never heard the ESB had undergone such. It was built before there was wind tunnel modeling for buildings, and as I said, overbuilt.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

The WTC fireproofing turned out to have defects, as I recall from the reports I read after 9/11. I think the defects were in both design and execution. Possibly wouldn't have made a difference, but still.
Over-engineering/building used to be a given. See the reports on the Brooklyn bridge (to take into account the expected shenanigans in material quality). The Titanic wasn't sufficiently overbuilt ...
--
Best regards
Han

Talk to the guys from Controlled Demolition and other imploders about their adventures in Las Vegas. They said that pretty much every building they dealt with over the years was a royal PITA because they were not only overengineered, but also overbuilt. The concrete in the floors of the Sands, for instance, was much thicker than the original plans had lead them to believe. It seems about the last thing anyone wanted to do was explain to the Mob why their building fell down. (grin)>

They don't drill to get a real world sample??
--
Best regards
Han

Possibly? It lasted longer than expected, given the magnitude of the fire.

It was a "given" because they didn't have the tools we do today. Things are over-engineered now, too, except that the margins can be trimmed because of the technology.
The Titanic *was* overbuilt. It wasn't designed very well and the metallurgy sucked.
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 09:54:42 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Elevation and a 150 MPH wind code goes a long way toward saving a house.
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/art.gilchrist.house.irpt.jpg
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 09:52:33 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I suppose if anyone has archived things that far back you could look but I thought New Orleans was a huge rip off too. We should have never let them rebuild that city below sea level. They should have barged in enough dirt to build New Orleans on a hill.
On Saturday, January 5, 2013 3:53:12 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On Saturday, January 5, 2013 3:53:12 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

FYI Google Groups search goes as far back as 1981.
On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 16:16:20 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Go for it. My ID has not changed for 20 years The real question is what the retention time is on the various servers and whether Google recognizes the no archive bit.

Or 'they' whomever they are could have done it like the Dutch and engineered a system that works.
It's not like the bean counters and politicans didn't have sufficent advance notice.

The dutch have a different situation than what exists in Southern Louisiana.

They do? I'd be interested in the specifics as friends I went to engineering school (LSU/Tulane BTW) with spent considerable time over the pond reviewing what the Dutch did to address their problems.
Basics as I understand both areas: High energy storms, land below sea level, very similar pumping systems, water has to be pumped up hill. What have I missed?