OT - How much is regular gas where you are?

Let me tell you how it will be There's one for you, nineteen for me 'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman Should five per cent appear too small Be thankful I don't take it all 'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah I'm the taxman If you drive a car, I'll tax the street, If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat. If you get too cold I'll tax the heat, If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet. Don't ask me what I want it for If you don't want to pay some more 'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman Now my advice for those who die Declare the pennies on your eyes 'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman And you're working for no one but me.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in And stops my mind from wandering Where it will go

I'm filling the cracks that ran through the door And kept my mind from wandering Where it will go

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right Where I belong I'm right Where I belong See the people standing there Who disagree and never win And wonder why they don't get in my door

I'm painting my room in the colourful way And when my mind is wandering There I will go Ooh ooh ooh ah ah Hey, hey, hey, hey

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right Where I belong I'm right Where I belong Silly people run around They worry me and never ask me Why they don't get past my door

I'm taking the time for a number of things That weren't important yesterday And I still go Ooh ooh ooh ah ah

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in Stops my mind from wandering Where it will go oh Where it will go oh

I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in And stops my mind from wandering Where it will go (fade out)

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Greetings Tim,

This posting begins with "OT" for "Off Topic" which means it doesn't really have to do with home repair. Normally people use OT posts to ask a group questions they would probably be knowledgeable about but not what the group was originally intended for. For instance, Budweiser is the number one beer of Decamillionaires. You might post a a question about the Bud in the Decamillionaires' Investing forum but you should be sure to prefix it with OT. You might also just want to hear the opinion of fellow posters in the group you are familiar with. For instance I have a different "trust level" (or lack of trust) associated with different members of the alt.home.repair group so their responses mean a lot more to me than a response from another group from a "stranger" who I don't know to trust or not.

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

Not much "trust factor" needed to find out gas prices.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Well, areas around here near refineries tend to be significantly lower than other areas so I'd say that's not a universal truth...

If you don't pay it, where else does what you didn't pay go if it doesn't stay in your pocket? The above claim makes no sense.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

But the didn't go anywhere...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Canadian dollars are worth less than US dollars. About 84 cents at the current rate of exchange.

$4.80 in Ontario (Canadian) dollars is about $4.00 per US gallon in US currency. Since there are approx 3.78 litres in a US gallon; 4.00/3.78 = about 1.06 US per litre.

Here in Easternmost Canada we are paying around $1.15 to $1.30 (Averaging say $1.25) per litre, in Canadian funds at the pump. So 3.78 * 1.25 = approx $4.73 Canadian which equals 4.73 * 0.84 = 3.97 US currency per US gallon. BTW in this part of Canada we are pumping it offshore from under the ocean and also refining some of it onshore, right here!

Reply to
Terry

Responding to the post on another news group.

Recent report from a Canadian relative living/working in Qatar, which is just east of Saudi Arabia, was that automobile gasoline at the pump, was still costing about 23 cents (Canadian) per litre. Same as it was earlier in 2005. That's about 19 cents US per litre or approximately 72 cents per US gallon. That 23 cents (Canadian) is an increase from about a year and half to two years ago, when it cost about 18 cents (Canadian) per litre. Roughly, then, about 57 cents per US gallon. That change, to 72 cents from 57, for drivers there, has been approximately a 26% increase.

Reply to
Terry

Just because it is produced and refined locally has little to do with the price you are paying. The same goes for the taxes (I'm all for tax cuts, but only if they go back in the consumers' pockets, which will not happen with gas taxes).

Two months ago, I was in Edmonton on business and filled up the rental car for a certain price (the actual price isn't important, so I won't mention it in order to avoid readers from crying!). When I returned to Toronto, I noticed the gas price was EXACTLY the same.

But the oil mostly comes from Alberta, so shouldn't it be cheaper there? More importantly, even though the federal taxes are identical in both places, the Alberta government charges 7 cents per litre while the Ontario government charges 14.7 cents per litre.

At the retail level, the price will be whatever they feel the consumers will pay.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

That was actually about 2 weeks.

Reply to
HeatMan

Duane Bozarth wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net:

When a municipality cuts gas taxes, many stations don't drop their prices. I live near Atlanta, Georgia, and Georgia recently suspended the state gas tax for a month. Few gas stations dropped their prices until the state started going around to various gas stations to have them open their books and justify their prices.

Reply to
Pick

Duane Bozarth wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net:

I guess if you call the station owner or company's pockets nowhere, then the tax didn't go anywhere. However, at 13.1 million gallons per day consumption (Georgia's average as of 1991), that's almost 2 million dollars a day getting pocketed if someone hadn't stepped in.

Reply to
Pick

The tax should not be cut. I'm against taxes and un-needed government spending but cutting the gas tax does not help the consumer. The gas companies will continue to sell at high prices knowing the consumer is not going to stop buying and the government is going to just subsidize them.

If the gas tax is cut, the state will have less income. You can be sure that does not mean less spending. The money will come from some other tax, one that may be more oppressive.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski