How much is movie matinee where you are

I don't go to the movies much so it seems every time I do it's sticker

>shock time. $8 for matinee? Yowzer. I remember when it was $3. When >it got to $3.75, I was screaming bloody murder. > >My family used to pile in the car and went to the drive in for $5. WEHT >the drive in? And we had this cheapie 2nd run theater that charged $3, >$1 on Wednedays. The floor was sticky, there was a huge yellow stain on >the screen, and people were selling pot in the bathroom. But before DVDs >and netflix, it was great. Ah, good times. > >Sad thing is, for $8, I don't want to see some heartfelt human drama; I >don't want to see some low budget indie film shot on digital video; I >don't even want to see a laugh out loud comedy. I can see that stuff on >DVD. No, for $8, I want to see the blockbusters where stuff get blown up >real good. That usuually means movies with a number after the title. >Then I gripe about how Hollywood doesn't do anything original any more > >did anyone see the Omen trailer? holy cow, it looks like a scene for >scene remake. what's the point? The superman trailer made me miss >Christopher Reeve and his megawatt smile. The new guy looks like the >scowling type. The best audience response was for My Super-Ex Girlfriend >(?), with a guy trying to break up with his g/f who turns out to have >super powers. Something different at least.

I remember a place in Milwaukee about 10 years ago that had movies for $2.50 or $3.00. Place was packed on the Friday and Saturday nights.

Where I live now, we have to drive 30+ miles to get a movie. Last one I saw in a theater was probably There's Something About Mary.

We finally have a theater coming to town, supposed to open in a month

regards,

-Jean

Reply to
jean

Deja vu all over again....

You got me remembering the Saturday matinees I used to go to as a kid in San Francisco.

Admission was 25 cents for which you got to see a "double feature" a couple of cartoons, the week's newsreel and one episode of a "serial" like the Lone Ranger.

Sometimes you even got handed a little piece of stale outdated candy as you walked in.

Circa 1948 or so.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Gotcha beat. Our Saturday matinee was .09c, popcorn .10c, cola .05c. and candy 2 for a penny. So our .25c covered the movie, popcorn, drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs of life - instant first love!

Red

Reply to
Red

We still have a $3.50 place for movies, and they're only about 3 months behind wide release. I love that place, because it's the closest theatre to my house, and it's a stand-alone mini-cinema from the 60s which shows pretty much all the "mainstream" stuff I want to see. We also have a spectacular old vaudeville theatre which shows movies a few times a month for $3.00, and they're about 6 months behind. The theatre shows the "artsy" or "indy" films you can't find elsewhere, at least not cheaply. Even the popcorn is cheap, and the grandeur of the place can't be beat. Best thing is that there are very few patrons and since the place seats over 2,000, you can always find a seat with an unobstructed view away from anyone who's talking. I can't remember the last time I paid more than $3.50 for a movie.

Reply to
<h>

Jeepers, were the movies "talkies" back then.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff Wisnia wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I just saw "Shooter" for 75c,2nd run theater,on Tuesday,their 75c day. Other 2nd run theaters charge $1.50-$2.00,1st run theaters cost $4 or $5+ for matinees,the megaplexes are highest. I don&#39;t know what primetime charges are,I never go see movies at full price.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

wrote in news:465f3d1f$0$9973$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

TWO thousand seats?? Yowza! that&#39;s a huge theater.

amazing it has stayed in business,with that low an attendance. Two of my local 2nd run theaters closed due to poor attendance.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Is the following a correction, or did you really mean amounts that were 1/100 of those? Notice that BOTH the &#39;.&#39; and the CENTS mean hundredths. Using both makes it ten-thousandths.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Gotcha beat. Our Saturday matinee was 9c, popcorn 10c, cola 5c. and candy 2 for a penny. So our 25c covered the movie, popcorn, drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs of life - instant first love!

Reply to
Jim J

I&#39;m pretty sure he meant .25 dollars, not cents.

But, you knew that. LET"S STEP OUTSIDE!!! You routy drunken hooligan!

;-))

Reply to
Clancy Wiggum

Oh crap - I thought I was replying to Jeff... Sorry, you routy hooligan!

Reply to
Clancy Wiggum

Oh, I should explain. They are a major touring venue with Phantom, Spamalot, etc. Because they usually have major events, they only show movies a few days a month, when the theatre is dark.

Reply to
<h>

You seem to have wandered into the wrong room. The little kids&#39; sandbox is outside. You&#39;ll see it when you go out the back door and look to the left. It&#39;s right next to the "Danger: High Voltage" signs.

;-)

Reply to
Jim J