Water drain Roof vent?

I own a town house and have a small drain (for laundry) located in a first floor utility room. I am trying to vent my dryer and noticed (while opening the drywall up to see what I had) the drain has a vent that goes to the roof (two stories). Its plastic probably about four-six inches in diameter. Is this for sewer gases or something? Is that why it goes to the roof? No other drains are hooked up to it,-- unless underneath they all flow into one-- and that is the vent?? I didnt want to run a seperate vent for the dryer but it looks that way huh?

Reply to
Stinger

well, I found out not to vent the dryer to that pipe. however, I as i said before the washing machine is piped directly to that drain. is that allright? also should it be a direct connection?

Reply to
Stinger

Yup. Stack pipe.

You should find other connections to it somwhere along the line. It'd be odd to have a stack pipe for just one drain.

Yeah--I can't imagine venting hot moist dryer exhaust into the stack pipe would be a good thing. If I were a betting man I'd say it'd be a big steaming code violation, and possibly a fire hazard to the dryer as well.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Yea it is for sewer gas. You don't want to vent anything else into it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The washing machine discharge should be connected to that pipe. I'm not sure what you mean by directly. There must be a "trap".

I have one of these

that the hose hangs on then there is a standard trap below...

See how it was installed

Scroll to dscn0093_75.jpg

See the trap, near the floor, then the vent going out the roof.

Reply to
No