OT Harassing calls

Page 3 of 3
I used a police whistle on a caller, about 10 times in a row. She called back the next day. Left a message on my machine, suggesting I get psych help.
I was tempted to call back, and suggest she learn what a rape whistle is.
I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query Κnned+air+horn
Add pictures here
βœ–

How effective is it against recorded messages?
Add pictures here
βœ–

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–

I may have to break out a modem for this. Thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–

I had 6 modems laying around. I can't see very well, but it was pretty easy to guess which was the most modern.
http://i.imgur.com/Cnxgw.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–

The phonetray manual is misleading. The manual shows phonetray free with blocking options. I just downloaded the software and it seems to be only a caller ID reporter. No blocking options.
You may have to receive a phone call to make those options show up, but where the blocking options should be I get a link to get the "Pro" version.
And..........it looks like Phonetray Pro is not yet ready.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I figured how to enable the block..............never mind. :)
Add pictures here
βœ–

I hope this works. There were two calls from them already stored on the caller ID. Since I have my main phone set up to block these two numbers I didn't bother to enter the number into the software. I did enter the name from the caller ID. It is supposed to automatically play a "not in service" recording. We will have to just wait and see if it works. Now I am looking forward to their next call. :)
http://imgur.com/5ZKj3
From reading a little more about Cardholders Services on the web, a "not in service" message may get the number taken off the list. One can only hope.
Thanks
BTW the default setting for phonetray is to play a recording for "toll free" I actually get important calls from two places that report "toll free" on the caller ID. I changed that default setting to accept calls from "toll free"
Add pictures here
βœ–

In all honesty I use the program below. I got the license key from a friend who purchased it. I mentioned PT because I've always thought PT seemed as good or better, and is free, but I've never switched over to it.
http://www.beiley.com/acallerid/index.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

Don't have a land line.
Add pictures here
βœ–

www.drudgereport.com
Add pictures here
βœ–

This guy managed to keep them on the phone for 4 min. I don't think I could pull that off. I may give that a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37QzZuq8xY

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/2/2012 6:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I always hit the number to bring on a live operator then put the phone down until they leave. This costs them as they have to pay a live person. If everybody did it, it would not be profitable for them as I'm sure the response rate that brings them business is not high enough to sustain such loss. I knew a realtor that used to call 20 people each morning. For the business he got, he figured it was worth $5/call.
I used to talk to them and string them out but this wastes my time.
Initial question on a lawyer would do nothing. It is for the harassing calls which are illegal even if you owe them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have been getting a bunch of calls lately. Some months ago, I got calls from politicians, and some things I belong to. I usually let the a answering machine come on, then it goes to dial tone. Been getting more calls, including from local area code. Sometimes I pick up, then put down. Then there is the free security system, card holders, etc. I get caller I'd on tv, but some are getting through with name unavailable, which I may have to make sure that feature is enabled to block those calls.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–

I see your URL and raise you http://onthespotblog.com/the-hunt-for-rachel-at-cardholder-services /
I read recently that the Feds have started looking into these scammers again. But as indicated by the blog, the Feds are too toothless and impotent to do anything to stop it. Feds move at a extremely glacial pace. And I don't mean that they're outmaneuvered by nimble scammers who exploit VOIP relocate their boiler rooms everyday. I mean the Feds take years and years and years and years to take any action and the result of all their hard work is a laughably trivial fine a promise by professional liars to be good boys and girls.
I still see people fixating on the numbers they see on caller-ID. When it comes to email spam, people have generally wised up and realize that who the email says it's from is complete bullshit. I wonder why people won't do the same for these cardmemeberservices scammers.
βœ–