OT Exercising indoors at our Wal Mart Super Center

I decided early this year that exercising in the cold was not going to happen. So I have been walking the isles at Walmart. I don't know if it's because I don't have a cart or maybe because I am walking briskly, but I often get mistaken for an employee.

I helped a woman find some duct tape, I got a can of roast beef off the top shelf for some guy and helped some woman pick out the paint color for her bathroom. :)

BTW I estimate 20 min at a brisk walk = 1 mile.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Any big box store will work. Know a lady that walks Lowes in the summer cause it has A/C

Reply to
LouB

I like Sam's, for walking in lousy weather. Wide aisles, less crowded/annoying than the mall or Wally World, and as long as I don't make a disturbance or break anything, they really can't throw me out, since I am a member. Pretty sure I'm not the only one. And if I actually need anything from there, I just buy it on the way out the door. Pretty much never anything I NEED at the mall. My office complex has tunnels underneath it, and 2 laps make a mile, so that is where I walk on work days in lousy weather. I keep a pair of tennies under my desk. Just gotta make sure I walk AFTER the last meeting of the day, so I don't show up all sweaty and smelly.

Standard disclaimer- I HATE walking, but I hate how I feel when I don't, worse. Getting middle-age and falling apart sucks.

Reply to
aemeijers

I walk indoors too in rotten weather. best walking time is 5pm and on. I enjoy looking at the pretty women coming home from work looking good in dresses and big heels:)

Reply to
hallerb

It sucks worse when your feet start to hurt as you get older. BTW a stationary bike gets you indoors and you can read or watch TV.

Reply to
LouB

Metspitzer wrote the following:

Some people go to the local mega malls early in the morning for their walking exercise.

Reply to
willshak

I have been mistaken for an employee in Target (I was wearing a red shirt). While I might have corrected the customer, in this case she was asking about CD-R and I probably knew more about them than an employee.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You are spot on for the 20min/mile. I was surprised at that figure when I first laid out my route on county roads. From boyhood I had always heard that a brisk walk would do 4 mph. Not even close.

I should get back on it. My firewooding season is over and I'll lose a bunch of conditioning if I sit on my rear the rest of the winter. At my age, it for sure is "use it or lose it" and once lost you don't get it back.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I did that once this year. The closest mall we have is 30 min away. That is much more enjoyable, but it won't happen often.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Good figure. At non-com school back in 1943 they told us the standard route march time was 3 miles in 50 minutes and 10 minutes for piss call.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I found most of my foot pain was the result of walking on flat concrete (AKA sidewalks). It got so bad a few years ago that I could barely walk around the house.

I started going to the local park and walking on the dirt/bark jogging path; I can put in 10 miles now with barely any foot pain at all.

Feet aren't designed to walk on flat concrete, and they fail miserably when you force them to.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

this time of year,it's hard to negotiate your way through the crowds,if you're trying to keep a brisk pace. even at WalMart.

some malls have a club that walks early in the morning,before many of the shops are open and the halls are clear.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Metspitzer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sign-in as a vendor; that way you get a nifty "Visitor" badge. A "Visitor" badge makes you one of the crew, and you can go anywhere you like, even in the back!

But I doubt that you can walk briskly enough to make a mile in 20-minutes inside a store. I cover a mile in 15-minutes outdoors on dry pavement, in shoes. If I try the exact same pace indoors, it feels far too quick; indoors I am forced to a far slower pace than outdoors.

Reply to
Tegger

Not much use to those of us with day jobs, and I like to sleep in till

730 on weekends. I've tried it, and got looks like I was invading 'their' club. The other poster that mentioned that a non-hard surface is easier on the feet is correct, but that is only an option about 3-4 months a year around here. It is a 20 minute drive to a suitable location for me, summer is way too hot, and winter is way too slippery.
Reply to
aemeijers

My friends and I are all around 60 and we now play tennis on clay courts. Our feet don't hurt like they do after playing two hours on hard courts.

Reply to
dgk

I'm the opposite. I can walk on flat concrete a *lot* longer than uneven ground. I worked in the back of our lot, on a fence, this past weekend. After a couple of days working on the uneven ground my feet, ankles, and knees have been killing me for four days. Perhaps feet weren't designed to walk on concrete, but next time try wearing shoes. They help a lot. ;-)

Reply to
krw