Today he got into a minor fender bender and from the details I got, it was his fault...but the police issued no tickets.
When there is an accident I thought someone always must be issued a ticket.
What can I do ? My mother is in total denial that anything is the matter.
On 2015-05-24 5:34 PM, philo wrote:

I don't believe that tickets are automatically issued in the case of an accident.
In Alberta you can report the incident to the Transportation ministry who will investigate and make a determination on how to proceed.
Not sure where you are at, but at least the government is the bad guy then.
It's a very tough position to be in, good luck with this.
--
Dr. WTF

On 05/24/2015 06:57 PM, Doctor WTF wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
My first step will be to level with my step-dad and insist he get a medical exam and have a doctor make a judgment as to whether or not he should be driving.
If worse comes to worse I can report this to the DMV (Wisconsin) and they can evaluate the situation.
On 5/24/2015 7:08 PM, philo wrote:

My sister had a similar problem with her FIL, who also lives in Wisconsin. She and her husband spoke to her FIL's doctor about their concerns regarding his driving. The doctor agreed with them, but in the family meeting, the doctor wussed out and sided with the FIL. So his son had no choice but to take it up with the DMV. His dad lost his license, but his car was still parked in his garage. His son had to take the car away after he discovered his dad's caregiver was A. letting his dad drive it, and B. driving it herself.
My elderly neighbor lost her license after she got t-boned at a busy intersection in a high-traffic part of town. She insisted that the other driver was at fault, but the state yanked her license and told her she'd have to pass a reflex test and a road test in order to get it back. She failed the reflex test and furiously blamed it on the woman the DMV had assigned to be her coach/driving instructor. She then decided not to even try the road test, but continued to insist there was nothing wrong with her driving ability.
My elderly mother got cited for driving past a school bus that had its stop arm extended. Turns out that's not just a moving violation here, it's a misdemeanor, with a mandatory court appearance. After a discussion with the court clerk, I told them we'd just plead her guilty. The city attorney then offered my mom a deal - well, two actually: 1. drop the charge if my mom took and passed a road test (mom scowled and shook her head); 2. drop the charge if my mom had no further traffic violations over the next year. We took the second deal, and it persuaded my mom to give up driving. Thankfully, because there were two prior incidents where she got lost while driving in her own neighborhood.
It can be very, very difficult getting people to give up their keys, even when they've got friends and family right at hand to do the driving for them.
On 05/26/2015 08:48 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

I know it will be difficult but I will have to do this.
Doctor WTF wrote:

Huh? transporttion ministry? I'd suggest take him to a doctor and let him check him over.

On 05/24/2015 08:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Easier said than done, but will have to do this
On 2015-05-24 7:44 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

It was simply a suggestion, Alberta transportation has a procedure in place that a complaint can be made and they will act on it.
Doctors are not always willing to step in and be the bad guy.
On 2015-05-24 8:39 PM, Idlehands wrote:

That was indeed what I was suggesting, not sure why I said "Transportation Ministry", oops.
--
Dr. WTF

This is from the State of Nebraska: http://tinyurl.com/lhqwxwe There is a procedure here to confidentially report problem drivers.

On 05/24/2015 07:15 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Thank you very much, it seems Wisconsin also has something similar...hopefully I can get my step dad to voluntarily submit to an exam before I have to take more drastic measures.

In my state the police must have probable cause to issue a traffic citation at an accident scene. There are accidents where there is not enough evidence to determine fault, thus no traffic citations are issued.
One example is at a signalized intersection where both drivers claim they had the green light. With no independent witnesses or cameras to determine the light color at the time of the collision there would be no citations issued.
Also in my city the police do not investigate no injury/minor damage/no alcohol accidents. Drivers are instructed to exchange information and contact their insurance companies. There are no citations issued here either.

In my state any citizen or police officer can write a letter to the MVD with particulars. They will investigate and can call the person in for further testing. If they determine he is no longer qualified to drive they will revoke his drivers license.
On 05/24/2015 07:27 PM, J0HNS0N wrote:

Yes. I guess the police thought that they were doing him a favor by being lenient. In this case, I think they needed to look further.
I will be facing my step-dad ASAP and will contact the motor vehicle dept if he is stubborn.
Per philo:

"Denial: not just a river in Egypt"....
I would look for some sort of back door into the DMV that would result in his receiving a notification that he needs to take a driver's test.
--
Pete Cresswell

Per (PeteCresswell):

I should add that we did this successfully with my mom.
It was win-win in a sense: dad's eyesight had failed and he was forcing her to drive even she knew how impaired she was. She didn't want to drive and then, unable to pass the test, was relieved.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 05/24/2015 07:30 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Thanks for the info, it may soon came to that.
Just hard to watch someone decline.
In belched:

Talk to his doctor
On 05/24/2015 07:57 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Will do so if necessary...I have been doing more research into this and it seems that a doctor is not legally bound to contact the DMV
On 5/24/2015 9:42 PM, philo wrote:

But maybe he will tell dad that he should not be driving. That may be enough.

Exactly, it's surprising what Dr's can do. I have several freinds that have had to deal with the same issue. Worried about how to take the keys from Dad and not be the bad guy. Doctors deal with this all the time and have no problem being the "bad guy"