OT: drowning devices

I didn't think of trying closed captioning. I may give that a try! Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Muggles

My eyes are getting worse. I use 2.0's now, but I'll need 3.0's very soon. :/

Reply to
Eagle

lol Funny!

Reply to
Eagle

But fret not foreigners, you?re not alone. Not even the natives, it seems, can understand mumble-mouthed Danish actors.

Several movie theaters in Denmark have resorted to turning on the subtitles of domestic films as more and more people report difficulty following what Danish actors are saying on screen.

Reply to
rbowman

I'm not alone!

Reply to
Muggles

I saw 'Sexy Beast' in a theater when it first came out. Other than Ben Kingsley's rants where f**k came through every other word I missed most of the dialogue. I thought it was just me but as the crowd left the most popular question couples were asking each other was "Could you understand it?" I recently had the same problem with a Ken Loach film, 'The Navigators'. Heavy Yorkshire accents and no subtitles. At least had the titles.

Reply to
rbowman

I was beginning to think I needed new hearing aids cuz it seems like it was getting worse that I couldn't understand the dialogue. I'm not so worried about it now.

Reply to
Muggles

I have carried a CP since the early days when they got affordable. I only carry it whenI am out in the boonies cutting wood with no one around or whe n driving out of town. For emergency use only. My total use all these yea rs, one I am on my 5th, one lost in the boonies, 2 in the wash and one forc ed change by the carrier, isn't over 15 minutes. Twice it failed me, Batte ry either dead or died in use. Saved me twice, both times flat tires,

The last time I washed one, I discovered that the provider wouild sell me a new flip phone (didn't even know they made thame anymore) for $1.00. Yep, just one dollar for a new phone. They did charge for a $40 "upgrade" but it was required anyhow.

Worse case I ever seen for someone tied to the hing was a co-worker, He wa s on it constantly, checked his phone first thing entering the office altho ugh we all knew he had just checked it before getting out of his car.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That was the motivation to push SWMBO to get one -- so she could *call* (me) for help if she had a problem (flat tire, car won't start, etc.) instead of relying on "whomever happens to be nearby".

[E.g., when she has a problem, "standing orders" are to roll up the windows, lock the doors and politely refuse all offers of help. "Stay someplace safe" instead of opening yourself up to potential harm]

We had a neighbor who was glued to hers. I don't think I *ever* (literally) saw her without it pressed firmly to her ear. (Of course, I only saw her when she was outdoors...)

What amazes me is how willingly people will let others OVERHEAR (one side of) a private conversation! Yet, if you were to openly acknowledge WHAT THEY HAD JUST (effectively) *TOLD* YOU, they would consider it rude, on your part (but, it wasn't rude for you to fill the air with those words mere moments earlier?).

I suspect the obsession with the things is a variant of "if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it really fall?" I.e., "if no one calls me, do I really exist??" :>

Reply to
Don Y

I've sort of gotten used to it but the ones with the ear piece phones drive me nuts. The first time I encountered one was in the waiting lounge at an airport. The last thing in the world I need is to be locked in a sardine can with someone who appears to be having a heated conversation with themselves.

Reply to
rbowman

HAHAHAH!! I know that feeling!

Reply to
Muggles

I just don't "understand" it. The *last* thing I want to do is let someone overhear a discussion of which they are not a party. E.g., if I have guest over and have to make/take a call, I move into another room and use a different extension -- so they aren't (intentionally or accidentally) overhearing what I'm saying.

Reply to
Don Y

Sounds like a good moment to drown the device with the person attached?

I wonder what happens if you start your own one sided conversation, sitting next to the phone yapper? Could be comical. We need Robin Williams alive, again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon