OT: drowning devices

Page 6 of 6
On 11/20/2015 9:13 PM, rbowman wrote:

I'm not alone!
--
Maggie

On 11/20/2015 08:50 PM, Muggles wrote:

I saw 'Sexy Beast' in a theater when it first came out. Other than Ben Kingsley's rants where f**k came through every other word I missed most of the dialogue. I thought it was just me but as the crowd left the most popular question couples were asking each other was "Could you understand it?" I recently had the same problem with a Ken Loach film, 'The Navigators'. Heavy Yorkshire accents and no subtitles. At least had the titles.
On 11/21/2015 7:02 PM, rbowman wrote:

I was beginning to think I needed new hearing aids cuz it seems like it was getting worse that I couldn't understand the dialogue. I'm not so worried about it now.
--
Maggie

Uncle Monster used his keyboard to write :

Dayam Munster dude! What works as it should anymore???
Uncle Monster formulated the question :

My eyes are getting worse. I use 2.0's now, but I'll need 3.0's very soon. :/
On 11/19/2015 10:36 PM, Muggles wrote:

Actually, there were five or so that you didn't hear, but you didn't know that. Oops!
On 11/20/2015 7:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Darn!
--
Maggie

Several years ago, I lost my flip cellphone. It was gone for about 2 weeks. This was during the winter and the snow was deep. I figured the phone was gone permanently. I went out to check our horse, and he had almost eaten all the hay in his bale feeder. There laid my phone, in the bottom of his feeder. Covered with dirt and frozen snow and horse saliva. It had been under all that hay and snow, and when he had cleaned up his hay as well as the snow, (while picking thru it for hay), he exposed the phone.
I took it in the house, wiped it off, and let it dry for a few days. Then I charged the battery and it worked perfectly. I was amazed it worked after all of that.
* The horse got a treat for finding my phone!
--
Of course I checked the out going call list to see if the horse had made
any calls. He had not, but it looked like he was trying to text me to
On 11/18/2015 01:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I would have slipped him a pan of oats if he'd eaten the damn thing.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 07:40:12 -0700, Don Y

A guy on Freecycle gave me his non-working camera. He was on a cruise and had the typically small camera in his pocket when he got into a hot or cold tub. He got out "immediately" but I guess water got in.
By the time I got it, months later, there was visible water inside, but there was white salt on the internal coin battery. and after I removed the salt, the battery was, not surpringly, dead. Most cameras have both a replaceable coin or rechargeable battery and a smaller internal battery that holds settings.
I found excellent disassembly instructions online, but they no longer sell a battery that small with solder tabs. I bought the next size larger but I don't think it will fit**. I'm hoping they'll bring back the size I need. **I wouldn't mind if the case bulged out a bit so that the battery could fit, but I think the bulging out will also make the side of the top of the case too short, and I won't be able to get it on the body.
I've tried to solder to a coin battery without solder tabs, but I never got anywhere. Ideas??

All I can say is it hasn't happened to me. I'm not that attached to a phone though. I bought a rugged flip phone because I'm out in the fields where dust can definitely be a problem. They do make rugged smart phones also. There are others but Caterpillar lends its name to some. http://www.catphones.com/

On 11/17/2015 5:50 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

What about other bits of kit? PDA, PMP, watch, earpiece, hearing aids, pager, camera, etc.? I.e., it appears that manufacturers put the onus on the user/consumer to safeguard the item instead of designing "robust" items (for the most part).

My experience was having a mobile in a shirt pocket and putting it in a washing machine, came out spotless but never worked again despite dismantling and drying it with a hairdryer.
Kenny Cargill
"Don Y" wrote in message
A week or two back, a friend lamented "drowning" her cell phone (accidentally, of course). I recounted this story to a few other friends and was surprised at how many expressed similar events (personally or among their family members).
By far, the toilet claimed the most victims. A couple lost items "over the side" on (small) boats.
No one complained about dropping anything in a *sink* (perhaps because few folks ever have a sink full of water?). And, no one complained of "death in a snow bank" (I guess snow doesn't melt quick enough to do damage?)
Cell phones are the typical victims. And, "falling out of their back pocket" (while lowering or raising pants, "before" or "after") was the typical cause. (Men's wallets seemed to suffer similar fates)
I assume PDA's are too "yesterday" to make the list. And, earpieces probably don't make it *into* the bathroom (site of most malfeasance).
But, wonder how often this happens and, considering the dollars involved in some of these devices...