OT: drowning devices

Page 5 of 6
On 11/17/2015 08:40 AM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]
I have known of people losing cell phones in the toilet, but I never have. It's always been the washing machine. I now have a rule to be sure where my phone is before starting the washer.
--
38 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/17/2015 10:27 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

wash <g>
On 11/17/2015 10:35 AM, SeaNymph wrote:

[snip]

A good idea. Of course, perfection doesn't exist (there's no way you can guarantee to do this 100% of the time), so an additional check is important too.
--
37 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/17/2015 9:27 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

In my "surveys", I discovered *two* neighbors who had lost phones to the toilet. I would have considered that an unusual (i.e., rare) event.
E.g., I always have a wallet in my pocket and can't recall *ever* "losing it" to the toilet! Of course, it tends to be *in* my pocket and not something that I'm likely to be fiddling with...
On 11/17/2015 10:33 PM, Don Y wrote:

In more professional surveys 19% of phone owners have dropped them into the bowl. http://www.cnet.com/news/study-19-percent-of-people-drop-phones-down-toilet/
Far more than I would have guessed. Mine is in a closed case secured to my belt.
On 11/17/2015 8:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Big number, eh? :> Of course, it is misleading for my purposes as it reflects folks who have *ever* drown their phone.
[A better metric might be the number of *phones* that have been dunked as you probably only make this mistake ONCE regardless of how many new phones you have over your lifetime]

I wasn't trying to limit the discussion to phones but, rather, devices in general. E.g., if I were to *guess* at this (before seeing any data), I would assume hearing aids would be the most commonly dunked items! I imagine they are "maintained" in the bathroom (cleaned? removed/inserted?) where you have a sink AND a toilet to worry about.
In hindsight, I suspect the phone is so commonly dunked because so *many* people have phones (how many people have hearing aids?).
But, no one ever commented about dunking their hearing aid (there may be some vanity involved?). Dunno as I am only aware of a couple of people who wear them...
The other item I would have thought would see a large number of dunkings would be "earbuds".
On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 22:26:23 -0700, Don Y

I wear hearing aids and only take them out, clean & store them in my office nowhere near water. They come out before I take a bath and I don't put them in, either if my hair is wet.
--
Maggie

On 11/17/2015 11:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

Is this because of fear of drowning them? Or, a prior bad experience along those lines?
Or, is part of your "personal care" routine just built around doing this "in your office"?
On 11/19/2015 12:38 AM, Don Y wrote:

It's a result of knowing the hearing aids are little computers that'll die if they get wet, so from the beginning I established a routine on how and where I'd care for them. I wouldn't want my pc to get doused with water, so it's the same with the hearing aids.
I need the little computers to hear, so out of necessity they don't get near water. I also have a nice bright light by my desk where I can inspect them, which is practical.
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 8:24 AM, Muggles wrote:

OK. So, in effect, you're saying folks who own expensive bits of personal kit shouldn't let them get into potentially "dangerous" situations. I.e., don't bring your phone/camera/etc into the bathroom, on a boat, etc. AVOID the situation that can lead to loss.

On 11/19/2015 11:16 AM, Don Y wrote:

Yes. Come up with a routine that's smart in taking care of it, and stick to it.
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 08:24 AM, Muggles wrote:

Computers? I get snail mail spam from the local hearing aid peddler but fortunately I can still hear incoming hummingbirds despite a lifetime of loud bikes music, and firearms.
On 11/19/2015 8:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

When I got my first hearing aids I came home from the Dr's office, parked in my driveway, got out of my car, and stopped dead in my tracks. It was like I just heard a symphony for the first time live - I heard birds singing. Not just one or two close by, but I could hear all of them.
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 08:36 PM, Muggles wrote:

I'm hopefully a ways from that point but I do have cataracts forming. The eye doctor described the gradual yellowing of the world. He'd done the surgery on the wife of a local artist who is known for the vivid colors of his paintings. Afterward the removal she said she'd hear people talking about the beautiful colors but never thought they were anything special until she saw them unfiltered.

I didn't know I wasn't hearing everything other people hear, but now I hear everything, literally. Sometimes, it's hard to pick out voices or words from all the sounds. It can be hard to tell where a sound is coming from, and many sounds I don't recognize and have to ask someone what it is.

That's what it was like when I got my first hearing aids. It was like hearing the essence of "beautiful".
--
Maggie

On 11/20/2015 12:01 AM, Muggles wrote:

I've always had that problem. All the data is there but my DSP is not good at filtering out the relevant parts.
On 11/20/2015 8:48 AM, rbowman wrote:

I've noticed lately when I watch tv that we've recorded that I don't have a clue as to what the dialogue is for a good portion of the shows. I have to run the video back several times before I can understand even some of it. When that doesn't work I turn up the sound more and try to read their lips by putting the sound I can hear with the movement of their lips. That helps but it doesn't always work.
--
Maggie

Muggles posted for all of us...

I have this problem also. I attribute it to all the background music they have. I just go to closed captioning. I have an old TV so that doesn't help either.
--
Tekkie

On 11/20/2015 2:57 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I didn't think of trying closed captioning. I may give that a try! Thanks for the idea.
--
Maggie

On 11/20/2015 10:28 AM, Muggles wrote:

http://www.thelocal.dk/20150304/not-even-the-danes-can-understand-danish
But fret not foreigners, you’re not alone. Not even the natives, it seems, can understand mumble-mouthed Danish actors.
Several movie theaters in Denmark have resorted to turning on the subtitles of domestic films as more and more people report difficulty following what Danish actors are saying on screen.