OT: drowning devices

Page 2 of 6
On 11/19/2015 2:49 PM, Don Y wrote:

After the first 4 or 5 times I provided old emails to people, they stopped being so insistent! :)
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 1:55 PM, Muggles wrote:

Exactly.
I made a "pitch" to upper management about a new device that I would be designing. In researching competitors' products, our past sales, etc. I came up with what I thought was the "right" set of capabilitites/features (keeping in mind that every feature costs money).
When I pitched my design, I caught all sorts of objections from folks like Sales/Marketing -- objecting to features that I had *removed* from the design (that had been present in previous product offerings).
Having researched *ALL* of our past sales (by meticulously examining all of the old, archived purchase orders!), I was able to tell *them* exactly how popular certain features were. And, actually tell them the serial number(s) of the units that were sold with those features.
Do this *once* and folks take notice. They're far less insistent about how much they *NEED* a particular feature ("If Don has eliminated it, then he's probably got some paperwork to show that it wasn't very popular... AND, he knows how much it will cost to add those features so this is an argument we're likely to lose!")
[Of course, if there is a genuine NEED, they could push for it and TELL ME WHY MY CONCLUSIONS -- based on past sales -- ARE WRONG. But, now *they* have to go on the record as having added a requirement to the design -- and the costs that are associated with that. Better make damn sure you can actually *sell* that feature to a paying customer once you've done that! :> ]
On 11/19/2015 3:18 PM, Don Y wrote:

hahah! Awesome.
Once upon a time I had a sales consultant try to tell me I was using the wrong tool to accomplish a particular task, and I tried to keep telling them that THEY were using the wrong tool. It was my job to know several tools and how each tool did a different task. At one point he stood up and told me if I didn't stop using that tool he'd go to the BIG boss and have him MAKE me stop using it. LOL I looked at the assistant manager who was in the room with me while this consultant ranted and right about this time he gave me this look like "don't say it!" hahaha I smiled at the consultant and told him to go ahead and try to get the BIG boss to do that, got up and let the room while he was still ranting. Turns out he tried with the big boss and the big boss told him to back off!
--
Maggie

Muggles posted for all of us...

He should have been unconsulted out the door.
--
Tekkie

On 11/19/2015 4:22 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

He was around for a few more months off and on, and then I never saw him around any more.
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 01:49 PM, Don Y wrote:

Yup. I've got the last 15 years of emails tarred, zipped, and distributed over several machines to say nothing of the off site backups.
On 11/19/2015 9:54 PM, rbowman wrote:

You want a job with NSA, or with Hillary!?
Sounds like you're over qualified in either case.
On 11/19/2015 11:17 AM, Muggles wrote:

Sounds like a day in my life. I emailed one of our support people today to ask which of the three proposals the client wanted to go with. The reply was 'What were those three again?' Resend the email I sent two weeks ago with suitably snarky comments.
On 11/19/2015 8:52 PM, rbowman wrote:

haha! Oh ... I can't count how many times I've had some snarky comments {under my breath}.
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 08:43 PM, Muggles wrote:

I don't bother with the under my breath part any more. If they fire me I file for SS and get on with my golden years.

You don't really doing like you're ready for that yet with all the hiking you do. I bet the view is beautiful.
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 11:53 PM, Muggles wrote:

Yes, it is.
http://www.summitpost.org/bitterroot-mountains/170887
Sometimes I see photos of the Alps or the NZ mountains where part of LOTR was filmed and think it would be nice to visit. Than I ask myself 'Why bother?'
I took a contract in Ft. Wayne IN that was supposed to be three months but lasted over a year. The work was interesting, there were a lot of fun things to do in the area, but the lack of mountains made me very uneasy.
On 11/20/2015 8:43 AM, rbowman wrote:

wow ...

You have your own version of it! Beautiful.

There's no place like home.
--
Maggie

On 11/19/2015 11:12 AM, Don Y wrote:

My favorite is after our support people do a binary update and the client loudly complains 'It doesn't do X anymore!'. Usually a source code review points out it never did X. The next email is 'Well it should!'.
I'm dealing with one client right now who is adamant that our validation algorithm is inadequate. I'm happily going to give him exactly what he asked for. Then, in a few weeks, when the people who actually use the software surround him with hot tar and sacks of feathers I'll tell him who to turn the feature off. Maybe.
On 11/19/2015 7:49 PM, rbowman wrote:

I "script" dog-n-pony's (do this; observe that...) so client has a record of everything I showed him and how it all fit together. "Weren't you paying attention??"

Better yet, have the receptionist field his call and reply, "Bowman? Oh, he doesn't work here anymore. Can someone ELSE help you??" and wait for the panic...
Clients aren't really "bad" -- they just don't seem to *think*. I always feel like I know more about their project and market than *they* do! I could understand this if they had lots of irons in the fire. But, often, it's a small startup and this project is EVERYTHING (you'd think they would know it in their sleep given their dependence on it!)
On 11/19/2015 07:55 PM, Don Y wrote:

They're probably happier not knowing I'm on the wrong side of the normal retirement age and have a diminished sense of humor.
On 11/19/2015 10:57 AM, Muggles wrote:

Last week several programmers and myself had to search out and package up emails going back to 2010 to present to our lawyer. That was a pain in the butt but I pity the poor legal assistant that gets the job of preparing an presentable exhibit.
On 11/19/2015 8:42 PM, rbowman wrote:

I bet it'll take quite some time to do that.
--
Maggie

We don't "respond" to incoming calls. SWMBO has a cell phone "for emergency use only" (after many years, it finally occurred to me that I should write its number down somewhere if she ever called me and I needed to call her back!). Our home phone goes straight to voice mail. So, if you want to get in touch with us, your best approach is email or knocking on the front door!
Years ago, I adopted a policy of refusing to field phone calls from clients. They would call when I was asleep, not home *or* busy trying to work -- in each case, an "interruption". And, would typically pose questions that needed careful consideration ("How much will XXX cost? How long will YYY take?") -- yet expected "estimates" in real time (then, would try to *hold* me to those shirtcuff estimates of incompletely specified tasks).
Email allows me to schedule my replies as convenient for me -- instead of having to rush to answer because Pavlov thinks I should! And, forces folks to think about what they are asking. It also gets rid of superfluous banter (E.g., now, if I ask about your kids, it's because I've decided to spend the time to formulate those WRITTEN questions -- knowing that a reply on your part would require a fair bit of effort, not just a few off-the-cuff comments to a half-hearted inquiry!)
Watching people with cell phones is disturbing. The urgency with which they react to the "ring" is almost as if the ringer was wired directly to their testicles ("Oh! Make it STOP!!")
And, the folks making the calls seem incredibly impatient: "What took you so long to answer?" "Where were you (and why didn't you have your phone WITH you) when I tried to call earlier?"
Some folks are stupefied when they ask, in disbelief, "Don't you have a CELL PHONE??" "Hell no! Why would we want *that*?!"
Some cut.

I think of text messages the same as email. They get roundtoit responses.
More cut.