OT Cordless phone with 3 extra handsets

Page 1 of 2
Who has a set they like?
I just bought a Panasonic set. I get echo. I am taking them back to Costco.
They are 6.0
metspitzer wrote:

I have 2 sets of panasonics, both of which have worked great. No other brand I've tried was as clear.

Ditto that. I've got two sets of Panasonic 5.8. One has 2 handsets, the other has 3 and all are fine. Plenty of range in a big house and even to the curb to visit the mailbox.
Charlie Darwin wrote:

I got up to the corner with mine. Probably 300 feet.
A little "burbbly" maybe, but it worked.
Bob F wrote:

Hi, Panasonic very good!
metspitzer wrote:

What kind of phone servise are you using? I have a 4 handset Panasonic 6.0 system. Almost two years old, from Costco. Get echo once in a blue moon but since it is rare and goes away I think it is the outside phone network.
Lou

I used an AT&T set for the last two years and it worked fine. I don't think it is the phone service.
The base still works. I lost the extension charger. I miss having a phone in the bathroom. The replacement extensions are about 40 bucks + shipping.

I have AT&T... 3 phones , 1 base , 2 chargers..Work great , good range , but they don't like the cold for extended periods of time...But then again neither do I ...LOL....
metspitzer wrote:

That's what thrift shops are for.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:15:43 -0500, LouB wrote:

No complaints from our Uniden 6.0 system other than a small choice of ring tones.

I have had Panasonics for years and years. I like them the best but they do have their quirks (as do all the others, I'm sure).
Anyway, like you, I just bought a DECT 6.0 set. I have noticed echo when the volume is turned up too high on the handset. To lower the volume when you are on a call, press the down arrow on the round rocker button once or twice. The echo should disappear.
Dee
On 02/20/09 05:14 pm metspitzer wrote:

Our Panasonic DECT 6.0 system is great. We originally bought a 4-handset set, then bought a 2-handset set to extend it. So now we have 6 cordless handsets scattered around the house.
We recently bought another identical 2-handset pack for my MIL so she has one by her bed and one by her favorite chair.
Never noticed an echo.
A more recent model of Panasonic DECT 6.0 has voice-announcement caller ID, but my MIL found the display more difficult to read, so we took that one back.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Guess I'm old fashioned. I prefer having a Real Phone in each room. Never get lost, no static problems, no batteries to keep charged and replace, etc. And they pretty much last forever- I think the newest one is about 15 years old. I don't talk walking around, and there are only so many places to sit in the house. Never had a cordless, probably never will. Only use them at relative's houses. Good thing I have a good stock of spares- all the corded phones in the stores these days seem to be cheap throw-aways designed by stylists with no grasp of ergonomics.
-- aem sends...

I decided on an AT&T SL82318
It has two extra handsets. I got it at Target for 90 bucks. An added bonus is the display is large enough for me to see without my reading glasses.
metspitzer wrote:

Hmmm, Echo is not phone's fault. It is phone lines fault.

Actually no. The phone line may cause echo, but it is not the only cause.
I still have my old AT&T phone. The reason I want to replace it is that the connection to the charger is bad. I can still use the phone and still make it charge if I take the battery out and put it back in. There is no echo on this phone.
I haven't used the new set long enough to say there is no echo, but none yet.
How can that be the phone line?

No it can't. The signal travels at the speed of light. Unless you live a hundred thousand miles from the nearest town, the propagation time on the lines will be less than a thousanth of a second.
The echo is caused by propagation delays when sending digitized calls over satelite or within some equipment when converting to/from digital and when buffering the data.

Actually, if you want to blame A/D and D/A conversion, the cordless phones, almost all of which are digital now, have to do that too in both the handpiece and the base. But regardless of where the digital to analog converion is done, there is no reason for that to cause echo as the delay through the A/D circuit is only nanoseconds. And echo is not limited to digitized calls. It existed when phones were analog as well. Poorly balanced lines that caused reflection were one big source.
If he has it with the new Panasonic phone on every call and not with another phone, that would be pretty strong proof that whatever he's hearing that's a problem is being caused by the phone.

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

I believe this problem was reported before with a Panasonic unit of some kind and the solution was to turn the volume down.
--
Best regards
Han

cordless phones require power line voltage to run the base unit and can malfunction in many ways.
keep a old corded phone perhaps at the base unit, leave it plugged in.
with a easy way to unplug the cordless base.
when you have any phone problems just unplug the cordless base from phone line and try old reliable corded.
plus the corded phone will work during a power failure.
just makes life easier:)