I fixed this GE profile. The problem was that the air line leading to
the pressure sensor (FULL/EMPTY sensor) was obstructed by debris. I
removed debris and the machine is now doing its second load after the
"repair". Arriving to the conclusion of what could be wrong, took some
time and the script reading personnel of 1-800-GE-CARES was utterly
Due to extreme spam originating from Google Groups, and their inattention
to spammers, I and many others block all articles originating
Congrats on your diagnostic and repair skills Iggy.
It reminded me of my similar recent "simple" appliance fix.
It's been an unusually cold winter here in Red Sox Nation and last week
when SWMBO started the dishwasher all I heard was the pump motor
running, but no sounds of filling or sloshing water. Opened the
dishwasher's door and there was no water in it.
I said, "Oh shite, the supply line is frozen." The dishwasher supply
line is the only plumbing located in an unheated part of our home. The
last six feet of it runs along the garage ceiling under the kitchen, and
the thermometer in the garage was reading 26 F.
So, I wasted half an hour playing a heat gun on that piece of pipe until
all of it felt well above freezing.
Back to the dishwasher and still no water sounds when it was turned on.
Pulling the lower front panel and metering across the solenoid fill
valve terminals showed no power going to it when it should be, hence no
It turned out to be as simple a problem as yours, Iggy. The water level
float which opens the circuit to the solenoid fill valve when the
dishwasher is filled to the proper level, was gummed up and hadn't
dropped back down the last time the water got pumped out of the dishwasher.
A quick cleaning of the float and the column it slides on corrected the
problem. The gunk I washed off felt like it was probably thickened
On a related note, again, we have a fancy-schmanzy GE microwave over the
stove (Profile Spacemaker) complete with exhaust fumehood/fan. The
expletive deleted handle broke off, and we paid Sears (don't ask) some
$200 to replace it. A few weeks later it broke again, and because of the
holidays and the delayed shipment of parts, I decided to fix the handle
with Gorilla glue, left over from a woodworking project involving many
rare-earth magnets. When the repair guy came to replace the door for a
final repair, he said that a needed part was not shipped with the other
replacement parts. So spouse said to forget the repair, take the shipped
parts, and leave the repair as I had performed it. Too bad I hadn't
thought of buying a $5 bottle of Gorilla glue when the handle first broke
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.