OT: Coffee and #$%@$Keurig

Page 2 of 3
I use fillable tea bags. I'll grind my beans and take a teabag to work and add hot water. (Their coffee sucks) Steep for 5 minutes or so. At home a teabag with 14 gm, filtered water and in the nuke till hot enough.
The bags come in a box of 100 for about 3 bucks. You can take a look here: www.adiagoteas.com or something close to that.

I didn't know they have fillable tea bags.... neat idea. Unfortunately right now, that URL didn't work for me :( but I guess I can google on it too. Thanks.
On 6/14/2012 8:27 AM, Doug wrote:

why wouldn't a tea infuser work? usually made out of metal, toss in the dishwasher to clean.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:22:24 -0700, chaniarts

I don't drink tea so you're asking the wrong person. I only drink tea with lemon and honey when I have a bad cold, otherwise I drink coffee.
On 6/14/2012 11:00 PM, Doug wrote:

i mean using a tea infuser for your coffee instead of going to the trouble of using refillable tea bags for your coffee. i have one that's a 2" ball made out of very fine metal screen.

It's all about the cleanup. I would not know what to do with a drippy infuser where I work. It's pretty easy to toss the teabag in the trash. Maybe I'll buy one for home and check it out.

I posted earlier about the Hamilton Beach, it has a metal screen, but I use it just tohold thepaper filter. Paper filter just for convenience.
Cleanup consists of once every 2-3months swish slightly diluted bleach around the insides, which removes ALL those deposits, and back to pristine flavored coffee. Cleanup time approx 30 seconds.
And this coffee maker makes coffee good to the last drop, too, Pour left over [rarely] into plastic bottle, microwave in a cup as needed still tastes great.

I prefer glass for leftover coffee, sometimes the carafe itself.
This time of year, on weekends, I make more than the SWMBO and I will drink in the morning and chill the rest for iced coffee later on.
In fact, it's about 2:30 and I'm about to pour a cup of iced coffee...as soon as I hit send.
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 07:56:21 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy

For some reason, I don't like heating my coffee in a microwave. I do it but everytime I do it, I can taste the difference from fresh brew big time. Seems like the microwave kills some of the original taste to me.
On 06/16/2012 03:36 PM, Doug wrote:

A thermos or thermal carafe is the way to go. reheating, or leaving it on a burner as in an old school coffee maker, definitely changes the flavor of the coffee.
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

that's EXACTLY what caught me by surprise with the Hamilton Beach, can sit for over 3 hours at a temp hot enough to take the skin off your mouth, but not so hot as to 'burn' the coffee into tasting like muck, like those Mr. Coffee burners do. They've burnt the coffee in less than 30 minutes.

There's a *huge* difference in the taste after reheating coffee in the microwave...and not a "good" difference either.
It also doesn't seem to stay as hot as long after nuking but that's just a "feeling", nothing scientifically measured.
That's why I prefer to put my leftover coffee in a glass container and chill it so I can make Iced Coffee later.
Many years ago, like 35, when Iced Coffee wasn't as widely popular as it is now, there was one donut shop near where I worked that, during the muggy NYC summers, would make pots and pots of coffee before closing, pour them into those glass Tropicana bottles and chill them overnight.
Those of us in the know would stumble off the subway and order Iced Coffee. They'd reach into the back of the cooler and pour the already chilled coffee over ice.
Every other place would look at you kind of strange and then pour hot coffee over ice, leaving you with a luke warm watered down beverage that was practically undrinkable.
For nostalgic sake...
http://worthopedia.s3.amazonaws.com/images/thumbnails2/1/0408/20/1_1079472abcb36fcf2bdbc64dd4866f57.jpg
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:18:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I'm going to have to try iced coffee. Always wanted to make up a batch, but it's just too natural to make iced tea. I like that bottled Starbucks frappo stuff now and then. Main concern is I don't like weak coffee, always use a creamer in coffee, and also think if I hit it like I do iced tea, the caffeine will give me the shakes. But I'm going to look around for recipes. Might be something you have to be exposed to early, as you were.
--
Vic

On Monday, June 18, 2012 3:18:00 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sounds like a "Big City" attitude...thank goodness all NY'ers don't have your smugness.

We have trash cans where I work. I empty the infuser in the trash, then rinse it in the sink.
If you are doing it at your desk or workbench, yes, it would be a PITA.

home has septic system so not a good idea to rinse grounds into it
Paul Franklin wrote:

I buy my coffee makes at Walmart, about ten dollars. I have two: one in use, one in the closet.
They last about two years in constant use. When one breaks, I toss it and activate the backup pot. At my earliest convenience, I replace the spare.

I like that idea of a backup. I may take you up on that idea from Walmart. If you are right, that's $5 / year for the ability to brew coffee and that works for me. A lot better than spending $2000 and then cry when it breaks. Heck I can run with your idea and still afford to buy coffee drinks for McD or Starbucks and I like that idea <grin>. Thanks.
Doug wrote:

Hope the concept works as well for you.
I drink a LOT of coffee. In so doing, I've proved that coffee and chili contain all the nutrients that a bachelor is known to need.
Of course that bit of knowledge is now useless. As I type, I have on my desk a Root Beer and, in the bedroom, the sweetest gal you'd ever find, taking a nap.

I've been surviving on frozen pizza, pot pies, and (decaf) coffee for six months. ;-)

I have a cup of decaf, next to the laptop and a 'fridge full of root beer (IBC is good stuff) in the kitchen but SWMBO is 75mi away, probably taking a nap. ;-)