OT: Coffee and #$%@$Keurig

We have trash cans where I work. I empty the infuser in the trash, then rinse it in the sink.

If you are doing it at your desk or workbench, yes, it would be a PITA.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A thermos or thermal carafe is the way to go. reheating, or leaving it on a burner as in an old school coffee maker, definitely changes the flavor of the coffee.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

home has septic system so not a good idea to rinse grounds into it

Reply to
Robert Macy

that's EXACTLY what caught me by surprise with the Hamilton Beach, can sit for over 3 hours at a temp hot enough to take the skin off your mouth, but not so hot as to 'burn' the coffee into tasting like muck, like those Mr. Coffee burners do. They've burnt the coffee in less than 30 minutes.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Right. With a paper filter, no sediment and the end of the pot tastes like the first cup.

Reply to
krw

There's a *huge* difference in the taste after reheating coffee in the microwave...and not a "good" difference either.

It also doesn't seem to stay as hot as long after nuking but that's just a "feeling", nothing scientifically measured.

That's why I prefer to put my leftover coffee in a glass container and chill it so I can make Iced Coffee later.

Many years ago, like 35, when Iced Coffee wasn't as widely popular as it is now, there was one donut shop near where I worked that, during the muggy NYC summers, would make pots and pots of coffee before closing, pour them into those glass Tropicana bottles and chill them overnight.

Those of us in the know would stumble off the subway and order Iced Coffee. They'd reach into the back of the cooler and pour the already chilled coffee over ice.

Every other place would look at you kind of strange and then pour hot coffee over ice, leaving you with a luke warm watered down beverage that was practically undrinkable.

For nostalgic sake...

DerbyDad03

I'm going to have to try iced coffee. Always wanted to make up a batch, but it's just too natural to make iced tea. I like that bottled Starbucks frappo stuff now and then. Main concern is I don't like weak coffee, always use a creamer in coffee, and also think if I hit it like I do iced tea, the caffeine will give me the shakes. But I'm going to look around for recipes. Might be something you have to be exposed to early, as you were.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Sounds like a "Big City" attitude...thank goodness all NY'ers don't have your smugness.

Reply to
Bob_Villa