OT Chipped car keys and magnets?

Page 1 of 2
I have a question. I'd like to put a chipped programmed Nissan Versa door/ignition key in one of those magnetic key containers somewhere accessible from the outside of the car in case I lose or mislay the fob and other key.
My question: Will the magnet damage the key and cause the programming to not work properly?
Anyone know? Found out the hard way? The $100+ key is too exdpensive to experiment with.
TIA
--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon
On 6/20/2014 12:29 PM, KenK wrote:

he says probably not. It's "just a chip" and doesn't store any data on the key.
Magnets and the computer inside the vehicle, don't do that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Related question for you to consider: Do the plastic magnetic car key holders hold to the car as well as the metal magnetic car key holders?
They both have a metal magnet of course, but some have a plastic box.
the magnet won't bother it but a better idea is to hide the expensive extra chipped key inside the car or inside the trunk and put an ordinary key in the magnet box.
You can use the ordinary key to unlock the car/trunk and use then use the chipped key to start the car.
Just don't forget where you hid it.
Mark
On Friday, June 20, 2014 10:38:18 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You don't need to hide the door key. Put it on your key chain.
"Hiding" car keys almost never works. The crooks know all the angles.
HB
On 6/20/2014 3:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Don't lock the car. Locking it keeps out a couple of 10 year olds and invites damage. The pro will get you car if he wants it.
Had my cars broken into a couple of times and total loss was a quart of oil in the back seat. Locked cars had broken windows, pry marks, etc. I had no damage.

I have a plastic holder unused. The magnet seems strong. I've seen some metal holders with poor performance. Sometimes I tape a key to underside wiring with black tape. Reminds me to check where I put that.
Greg

Hmmm. I don't know but I wouldn't think it would make any difference. The strength of the magnet I should think would be all that matters.
--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

Did Nissan actually refuse to tell you when you asked?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
KenK wrote:

I don't know the answer, but I would be concerned about placing it next to any magnet.
Plus, the person who suggested just hiding a spare regular key to get into the vehicle manually had a good idea. That would prevent the expensive the fob from being next to the magnet and out in the elements. Keep the spare fob elsewhere -- at home, at work, or somewhere inside the vehicle (my vote would be someone NOT inside the vehicle).

I had in mind something like the task performed by a reflector in a tv antenna, a nearby piece of metal (on the antenn) that makes the antenna work better. Magnetic waves are a lot like radio waves. i'm pretty sure a metal holder would be better, and the first time I saw a plastic one, I was afriad they didn't make metal anymore. .
On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

This plan is in case one loses his key chain.
One time when I was going tubing, I took off my pants and through them in the trunk, complete with my keys. A similar situation.

But at the same time, if it's too hard to break into one car, they go to the next one.

The magnet should not have any effect on the chip in the key. But, I think Mark's suggestion about putting the chipped key somewhere inside the car a nd just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key holder is best, it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it, but...........
On Friday, June 20, 2014 11:52:20 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

and just putting an unchipped key in the hidden outside key holder is best , it is what I have done, so far haven't needed it, but...........
or you can bypass the chipped key and just use a regular key. you tube has videos on bypass
Incidently chipped keys are sold at wallmart for a fraction of the dealer c ost.
wallmart 2001 chevy venture key 35 bucks
chevy dealer 85 bucks

If you swipe the key past the magnet, really really fast, it might induce a spike enough to kill.
Greg

That and the glue that keeps the magnet on the box. Of course that woudl also hold true either way.
but what they conceal is vital.?

I asked someone at the local dealership and haven't heard back from him. I emailed NissanUSA and haven't gotten a response yet.
--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

An unchipped key will work on the door? A lock shop has the blank and can cut a copy of the ignition/door key without the chip portion? Evidently from what I've read here both answers are yes.
--
"Things would be a lot nicer if antique people were valued
as highly as antique furniture!" Anon

The chip is for starting the car. Has nothing to do with the door locks. The key will be much cheaper too.

Well, I just started a thread in sci.electronics.repair and sci.physics with my question. No answers yet, but I've wondered about this for years and your two answers arent' phrased very strongly, so we'll see what they have to say.