(OT) Cellphone App that amazes me

I was at the local bar when a guy asked someome what song was playing on the jukebox. He didn't know, but another guy grabbed his cellphone, pushed a few bottons, and less than a half minute later he said the name of the song as well as the artist, what album it was on and more...

I looked at the guy and said "how did you do that?". He said its a phone app. The microphone in the phone listens to a sample of the music, and can identify exactly what it is. Later on, I went over to the jukebox, and played an old song from the mid-1960s, which was not a real well known band. Sure enough, the phone knew what it was.....

I have to admit, I was impressed!

It's getting to the point that I have to ask what CANT these phones do, rather than ask what they CAN do.... I've even seen a special doorbell advertised which shows who is at your door. Not only when you're in the house, but anywhere you are. That's crazy, but I have to admit, it's kind of cool. The only lacking feature is the shotgun that pops out of the wall when a salesman or burgular comes to the door.

This same guy then walked over to a pool table and set his phone in the middle of the table. A circular level appeared, and he checked to see if the table was level (it was slightly off).

Last summer while camping, someone pointed their phone at the sky, and it showed all the constellations and their names. Very cool!

I also heard they have an app that will tell a person their blood-alcohol level. I'm not sure how it senses that though.

I just have a basic flip-phone, and I dont really want a smartphone just for calls and the few texts I send, but I'd almost consider getting one just for some of the apps they can have.

Maybe when they come up with an app, that saws a 2x4 in half and includes a screw gun, electronic hammer, cooks my dinner, cleans my house, and washes my dishes, I'll get one!

Who knows, maybe in the future, they will make a cellphone that even takes care of it's owners sexual needs.... but I wont go into detail on that!!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

Two cell phone aps, I'd like to see.

1) Explains what women really mean when they say some thing like "Oh, it's all right" or "whatever you want, dear." 2) Explains why Hillary! and Bernie Sanders voters think that Hillary! or Bernie policies will be good for America.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shazam is the app. I had it loaded on my phone at one time, but after the novelty of playing with it, I never used it.

Costco is selling that video doorbell for $180. I guess it has some advantages, like if a burglar is ringing your doorbell prior to breaking in when you're away. But not enough utility there to make it attractive for me.

I have that on my phone.

I didn't know about that one. A friend has an electronic viewing device that you sight through, get the crosshairs on the target of interest, push a button and it tells you what it is. Works in reverse too, you can look up planets, stars, select one and it will direct you via arrows in the viewing port to where it is in the sky.

I wound think it would require some kind of plug-in, attachment, etc.

Problem is that until recently, every carrier I had experience with, you had to have a data plan with them to use any kind of internet access, even wifi. I finally found one that doesn't require that. If you can find one in your area, then you can use those neat apps without having a monthly data plan. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay whatever the extra cost for a data plan is. I guess now that's becoming less of an issue, with the plans dropping to $35 - $45. When they were $80+ it was more of an issue.

Reply to
trader_4

taxed and spent

Never thought I'd use my phone as much as I do. I too often find myself waiting for my wife at the doctor's office or the like and little to do. I can read the news, check the weather, read my email, check accounts at financial institutions, etc.

I also use a sound meter to check noise levels in the shop, take photos of things I'd not normally think of. Like the label I can't read on a motor, or the model number of an appliance where my head does not fit to read it easily.

It can be a toy that wastes a lot of time, but it can be a useful tool that can save time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

my GF has a smart phone, she spends all her time on it.

why did it ring, beep, or bop? must respond immediately..

she looks up all sorts of meaningless stuff, and its big time waster....

Reply to
bob haller

Opens up the question. Is this the kind of GF you wish to be dating? A cell phone addict? Perhaps that is exactly suited to your needs. Me, I'd keep looking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think SHE has already answered that question from her point of view.

Reply to
taxed and spent

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote in news:4j8afblb9acajj6ltnotp36ge1du87jk5l@

4ax.com:

And sews on buttons! That's extremely important. In the past few weeks I've had to sew on four shirt buttons! In desperation, I'm considering looking around for a woman who knows how to sew and finally getting married.

Reply to
KenK

Shazam *may* have been the app. There are others that do the same thing.

I use SoundHound. I have it on the home screen of my phone and will often tap it when I hear a song/artist on the TV that I like but don't recognize.

For example, Suits often plays short snippets of modern/obscure songs. Many shows do. It's a marketing thing. Since I don't listen to a lot of commercial radio, I am not as up to date as I used to be. If I like a song, I'll tap SoundHound, identify the artist and then use Pandora or YouTube to listen to more of the artist/genre.

YouTube allows me to hear more of the same artist, Pandora introduces me to similar artists within the same genre.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd like to disagree with I just said, re: It's a marketing thing.

After I thought about it for a second or two, I realized that some of the artists I've been introduced to are not commercial successes and may never be.

I think that someone on the show (a writer, a producer, an actor, etc.) just liked the song/lyrics and used it on the show. There are some really good yet very obscure artists out there.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There are two people who come to the local bar, who sit in the back room with a beer, and never srop looking at their phones. Other people have commented on them too. If you try to talk to them, they usually dont even respond, or just give a yes or no answer. I've looked at the screen on their phone and it's mostly facebook. I cant imagine why they even come to the bar. It would be easier and cheaper to just stay home and stare at their phone with a beer. The funny thing, those two are one male, ome female, and they are always together. It's been a joke with others at the bar, that someday those two will get married and spend their honeymoon in a motel staring at facebook on their phones!!! With any luck, they will have intercourse over their phones too, and if any children are born later, the kids will have numerals on them, and will only make beeping sounds.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

I like the photo, text, groundhog, and game apps!

Reply to
Muggles

What's that woman get out of the deal besides the title of maid?

Reply to
Muggles

One doesn't need a data plan to use WiFi. In fact, one can use an old cell phone without service in WiFi areas with full functioning apps. There are many app tools which don't even require connection such as that level. It's just a handy tool to have within the phone.

Reply to
Meanie

Muggles wrote in news:nd4e1h$2bn$ snipped-for-privacy@xyh22b37-wqple5c211x.eternal-september.org:

My estate when I kick off?

Reply to
KenK

While what you say is true, let's make sure we are clear for those that are "amazed" by these cell phone apps.

There are certainly apps that do not a require a network connection to run, but you obviously need a network connection to get them on the phone on the first place - assuming that they didn't come with the phone.

In addition, there are basically 3 types of apps: full functionality without a network connection, limited functionality without a network connection, and no useful functionality without a network connection.

So while it is true that users can use "full functioning apps" without a network connection, those apps with be a very small subset of all available apps.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, as I said, in the past you did if you wanted to use that smartphone on Verizon. They would not put a smartphone on their network without you subscribing to one of their data plans. You could not use their network for only voice/text and go wifi for data. I saw plenty of other people complaining about similar policies from other major carriers. And as I said, that policy may have changed, but that's what it was about 2 1/2 years ago when I left Verizon.

Reply to
trader_4

+1

Just used the GasBuddy App to find the lowest price diesel in the area. That's one that obviously won't work without a network connection. Others like the bubble level, will.

Reply to
trader_4

Obviously, much depends on the app and it's use. The initial install of an app with WiFi isn't an ordeal and a one time procedure and as I stated, no provider is needed. If someone wants an app to search prices, locations, distances or any type of updated service while on the move. then yes, a data connection will be needed IF NOT within WiFi connecting area. Otherwise, it can still be obtained via WiFi when/if they stop where that connection is available.

There are many apps which are not a subset and offer great use without any connection. I use many of them. I have an iPad without data and take it with me everywhere. I obviously don't use it while driving but the apps within offer many advantages and usage without connection.

I'm stating this because it appears you are displaying a negative impact on apps as a whole when they can offer great conveniences. My apologies if I'm wrong. Overall, it's up to the user to do their own investigation.

Reply to
Meanie