OT - Cell phones

Page 3 of 3
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:31:21 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Here, if I have a phone number for ANY type of phone service, I can have it transfererred to a new service - so no problem transferring that long-standing pager number to a new cell-phone on ANY carrier - and forwarding that number to my home phone in non-working hours or when I'm at home so there is no air-time charge for calls I recieve when at my (or any other) land-line.
On 10/11/2010 7:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I don't own the pager number, I'm sure the company could yank it any time they wished. Right now, two of the guys I work with are having problems with dead and dying cellphones, roommate just went out the door cursing the infernal contraption. My pager was having a little problem so I changed the single AAA battery, problem solved. I must have simple reliable communications, pager and POTS line win every time. I suppose I could find another "Tough Phone" but I don't have a ton of money to spend on anything right now so I'll keep the little Nokia that has to be protected from gravity.
TDD

Sure but isn't a pager the definition of unreliable? Suppose someone paged you when you had the battery out just now (or you were out of range)? You would never know.
The cell system would simply save that message until it saw your handset register itself with the system and deliver it to your handset. That was one of the big problems with pagers especially if the call you just missed might have meant putting money in your wallet.
On 10/12/2010 5:47 AM, George wrote:

The pager voice mails are saved on the companies' server. I call my number, enter my access code and retrieve my messages. If I'm not feeling well, I'll turn my pager off. When I wake up, I call and check my messages.
TDD

I know what you mean about using a pager. I used one for years. I'd give the number out to everyone as my home phone. They heard a ringing when they called and thought it was a phone. Several people asked why I never answered. lol. When it's a pager, you feel like no one has reached you, if the pager is OFF. Since then, I have 2 prepaid cells. One is my junk number and the other one is my home phone for "special" people. The junk cell is off 99 % of the time.
On 10/13/2010 12:42 AM, ktos wrote:

I was an early adopter of MagicJack and when the unit quit working, I kept the number. For $20 a year I have a phone number to give anyone who will violate my privacy like hospitals, insurance companies, banks and especially government agencies. The voice mails come in my Email as a wav file along with time, date and number of the caller. I never hear a ringer and if it's someone I need to call back, I can. It intercepts all of the telemarketers and sales calls from those who got my number from the mentioned notorious privacy ignorers. I love the threatening calls from the collection agencies who will call numerous times a day. "You must call immediately or you leave me no choice!" The same message for a year then it slows to a trickle from the deluge it once was.
TDD
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:27:26 -0500, AZ Nomad

voicemail - and when I turn the phone back on it tells me how many calls I missed, and from whom.
On 10/11/2010 7:05 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I haven't even setup the voicemail on the TracFone I have, I only turn it on when I need to make a call. All I want is a cellphone that works like those ancient cellphones, A PHONE THAT JUST FREAKING MAKES AND RECEIVES CALLS! I don't want it to do anything else except be big enough for my hand and have big enough buttons so I don't press three at the same time. I think it's wonderful for people to have those lovely supercalafragalistic modern Swiss army knife phones but I don't want or need one.
TDD
And some of those 3,000 pounders are actually driving a car!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

only one carrier left that serves my area and they have lots of issues because they aren't making any money.
I don't get your logic. If you keep your cellphone turned off for some reason why not just let folks leave a message on the cellphone voice mail?

Why do you care?
You can FAX me your reply.
nb
On 10/9/2010 6:17 AM, George wrote:

Because I've had the same freaking pager number for more than 20 years! It's how everyone knows how to get in touch with me! DO YOU UNDERSTAND! GEEZ!
TDD

Sure, lots of folks used to use pagers including me but when cellphone coverage matured they migrated whomever had that number to something else and put the pager in the drawer.
If you are that dependent on a pager you are going to be in a world of hurt when the paging company disappears. There is only one paging company left that serves my area and I think about 6 more adjoining states and they can't pay their bills (no customers left). My buddy works for a communications company and he bumps into the guy (yes guy, they only have one tech left) from the pager company and he said just a few months ago their system in our region was down for over a week because they didn't have credit anymore and had to arrange to get and pay cash for whatever part they needed.
On 10/9/2010 11:31 AM, George wrote:

The paging/communications company I use does more than just pagers. I doubt it will be going under soon. I will be long gone before that company perishes. The only thing I have to say about it is that my "antiquated" communication system just works and that's all that's important to me. I would never criticize you for your choice of methods to communicate unless you were endangering me or someone else. This idiocy of having to TELL people that texting while driving is dangerous, is incomprehensible. If you have to tell someone to pay attention to the road, that person should not be driving. It's not just cellphones, it's the nut behind the wheel trying to talk, text, shave, put on makeup or yell at the rugrats.
TDD

businesses it still doesn't mean they are going to open their wallet to keep it going with few customers.

Well, <I> understood, for what it is worth. Those little stickers on cold gray steel are an important source of business for you.
Anybody know if number portability rules apply to the numbers used by pagers? Just for giggles, ask your cell provider if the pager number can be ported to your cell number. At some point, your pager company WILL be going away. They'll lose their frequency assignment, or some other company will buy them to kill them. Or their head-end hardware will die, and I'm pretty sure nobody is making new hardware any more.
--
aem sends...

On 10/9/2010 2:37 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I just had a customer from years ago call me this morning about a problem with a backup generator. He would rather I look at it than anyone else. It's not a major part of my business now but I can take care of it. Pagers have gone back to the people they were meant for, they were very popular with the kiddies for a while before cellphones then brain implants or whatever the frack they're using these days took over. As far as I know, the number for my pager belongs to the pager company. When I took a job overseas more than 20 years ago, my pager service lapsed and the number I had was reassigned to someone else. When I got back to The States, I resumed service and have had the same number ever since then.
TDD