OT - cell phone advice

Page 4 of 4

Higgs Boson wrote:

They are not the cheapest, not by a long shot.
Relatively poor coverage, high per minutes rates, high texting charges, and relatively high monthly minimums.
See "http://prepaiduswireless.com /" for less expensive options.
You can have T-Mobile for as little as 74¢/month after you spend $100 in air time and go "gold."
You can have PagePlus (Verizon network) for as little as $2.31/month.
Add pictures here
✖
windcrest wrote:

I have Virgin Mobile, which works out to around 8 bucks a month. But with any pre-paid, you need to make sure it has coverage in the area where it will be used. And you can't always trust the maps on the web site. Virgin, for example, is really Sprint system, and has next-to-no coverage down in NC where my sister lives, out at her house. She returned hers and got one of the others. It works fine around SW MI and southern IN, which covers most of the places I use it. I'll probably die with several hundred bucks in unused minutes on it- you can set it to top off automatically as needed (90 days or <20 bucks, whichever comes first), so the phone never goes dead. Most of the time, it lives in my briefcase- I only wear it when I am on call or traveling. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a real cell phone, and is oval-ish and silver instead of the current fashionable squared-off charcoal gray, but it does what I need at a price I can live with. No Way would I pay 30-40 a month for a real cell phone that might not get used at all some months. I try to fire this one up at least once a week, to see if I have voicemail, but don't always remember.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
aemeijers wrote:

You really need to be careful with prepaid services that don't allow off-native-network roaming.
Many of the prepaid services allow you to use any compatible network (CDMA or GSM), sometimes at extra cost, sometimes included. Virgin/Sprint is not one of those services.
Virgin is among the worst prepaid options out there. It has a high price per minute, high texting costs, high monthly minimums, poor coverage with no roaming, and a horrible web site. Maybe now that Sprint fully owns Virgin they'll do something about fixing it.
Add pictures here
✖
SMS wrote:

Won't do me much good, unless I write off the couple of hundred in airtime I have on account. They Don't Do Refunds. Maybe when I retire and move south in a couple 3 years, I'll switch then, or get a real cell phone in lieu of a landline. In the meantime, it works well enough for MOST of the places I go.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

With Tracfone you can buy an entire year for $100. For a little extra you can get double minutes. As long as they don't start using the cell for "yakking", the minutes will last the whole year.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:53:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I believe if you have Verison or AT&T you can get an additional phone on your account for about $10 a month.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

No sure what my son pays for mom but he said my Tracfone deal is much better. He also tells her to try to limit calls to the off hours or weekends, whatever. I figure I'm paying a flat $8.25/month, can call any time and have 1,200 minutes left and need to renew in Oct. They'll roll over the old minutes so at the rate I call, it's not important that I get a double deal. Not interested in text messaging or using phone as a camera.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 11, 8:53 am, "Stormin Mormon"

For about $10 per month you can probably add a line to YOUR account for them. Then YOU pay the bill and they get it for free. They then use YOUR minutes. Plus the phone will probably be free with a contract. They will then be able to call you for free and that'll make you the good son.
Add pictures here
✖
For about $10 per month you can probably add a line to YOUR account for them. Then YOU pay the bill and they get it for free. They then use YOUR minutes. Plus the phone will probably be free with a contract. They will then be able to call you for free and that'll make you the good son.
A couple I know has does exactly that. They have a 1000 minute a month plan and in a good month, mom uses 2 of them.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, and ironically Mom probably feels guilty about using the 2 minutes.
In fact, Stormin, you might want to port their home number over to your cell phone service plan and let them give up their land line to save money. Giving them each a cell phone would be cheaper than keeping the land line. Step up and be the good son! :-)
Add pictures here
✖
PatM wrote:

Well my mother and stepfather need the land line for 911 service. They now qualify for the quantity discount on rescue squad visits and ambulance rides.
Add pictures here
✖
My vote is for Net10. The phones are cheap, and the air time is 10 cents a minute. You might want to check their web site for coverage in your area but I went on a 2700 mile road trip and it worked everywhere except the very boonies.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
✖
Roger Shoaf wrote:

Net10 is good for a moderately heavy user, but the minimum monthly cost is $15 which is pretty high. The 10 cent a minute cost is also rather high. On the plus side, they do allow roaming off of AT&T onto other GSM networks at no extra cost.
For a phone that is more likely to work in the boonies, albeit at extra cost per minute, use Tracfone CDMA phones, or PagePlus, or Verizon InPulse.
Add pictures here
✖
All the cell phone companies have it set up where they get their gallon of blood out of you per year one way or another. Don't be fooled.
Since so many other people have cell phones, just paint up a big sign for them to keep in their car that says "CALL 911".
Add pictures here
✖
mike wrote:

Nope. Look for a prepaid provider that has:
a) Low minimum monthly cost, not more than $2.50/month
b) Low per-minute rate (not more than 15 cents for low usage, not more than 6 cents for high usage)
c) Low texting rate (10 cents or less)
d) Coverage everywhere that there is a signal
The fact that many people over-pay by a huge amount for wireless service does not mean that those that are smart enough to not be overpaying are being fooled.
If anyone is paying more than $35/month for unlimited voice and texts then they are overpaying.
Add pictures here
✖
Tracfone or buy any cell phone but don't turn on service. Every cell phone has 911 on it. So, if it's really for emergencies ONLY, the unactivated cell phone fills the need for FREE.
Add pictures here
✖