OT - cell phone advice

Page 2 of 4
You can buy a pay as you go phone at Wal Mart for around $30. As long as they don't use it much it will not cost too much. The phone card you buy to load minute onto the phone expires at some point after it is activated so if you buy 30 minutes and don't use all those minutes within that time frame they will expire.
Good luck,
cm

I don't like that. If I keep a cell phone in the glove box of my truck, it expires, I have an emergency, then what? Do Tracfones expire too?
Phisherman wrote:

Well even if it expires it can still call 911.
Yeah, it can be a pain in the butt to remember to re-up your prepaid phone every 30-120 days. That's why the T-Mobile 365 day expiration period is good (once you spend $100 in airtime, all future airtime purchases, even ones for $10, are good for 365 days). As pointed out, T-Mobile coverage can leave something to be desired, but they do appear to allow a lot of off-network roaming now, and you can always call 911 no matter what GSM network is available.
7-11's SpeakOut GSM service (on AT&T's network) offers 365 day expiration on their $50/335 minute cards. They subtract a rather high $2.14/month fee, so that'd use up $25.68 of the $50, leaving 163 minutes available from the remaining $24.32 of value.

When I had a Tracfone, I got the 1-year cards (or usually the equivalent online, no card involved).
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

It's a combination of minutes and the expiration date. With $100, you get about 400 minutes that will expire in one year. For a little extra you have it set up so that for the life of the phone, you'll get double minutes.
I bought my Tracfone around 2002 or 2003. I've had great phone service.

This increases often. I first got a Tracfone in 2000 and it was 100 minutes then.

I seem to remember $50. Of course "for line" refers to the life of that phone, which should be a lot less than your life.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Phisherman wrote:

Any cell phone I've ever heard of can always call 911 even if it's not paid, registered or whatever. If you keep it in the car, better have a charger that plugs into the cig lighter. Actually my brother just told me there is a cheap low wattage $10 inverter so you can use the free 120VAC charger in the car and never buy another special car charger again.

911 cell is a required federal law mandate.
but do try your old phone, the analog ones no longer work since every carrier went all digital. the phones will still power up, but not see any system since analog no longer exists

You really have to try it. I turned on my bag phone a few months ago and got a recording that I could still make a call if I had a credit card. I will try it again the next time I am in the car.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yes, that was the American Roaming Network. You can pay by the minute (I believe that it's $3/minute) or sign up with them for service at 25 cents to $1/minute.
Contrary to popular belief analog most certainly does still exist. It was turned off in urban areas by major carriers, but out in rural areas there is still a lot of analog service still operating. The FCC gave the carriers _permission_ to turn off analog, they did not require that analog be turned off.
A lot of coverage on the fringes of urban areas was lost when analog was turned off in those areas.
bob haller wrote:

Contrary to popular belief analog most certainly does still exist. It was turned off in urban areas by major carriers, but out in rural areas there is still a lot of analog service still operating. The FCC gave the carriers _permission_ to turn off analog, they did not require that analog be turned off.
A lot of coverage on the fringes of urban areas was lost when analog was turned off in those areas.

How efficient is the inverter? Older ones could be bad that way.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
Tony wrote:

That's an odd way to save the $3-5 cost of a car charger.

Well, I probably won't ever get nor use one then. Strange I don't use a cell phone, yet I can program the processor which is a lot more fun than talking a lot about nothing. ;)

Cell phone yakking is nothing. Calling the police/ambulance is everything.
Phisherman wrote:

If you get an unregistered CDMA phone, you can sign up with ARN for $10/year.
Outgoing calls only. You don't get a phone number. From 25 to $1 per minute.
"http://www.americanroaming.com/retail_buy.php "
Be aware that you must have a CDMA phone that is unregistered with any carrier, not just deactivated. These can be hard to find. I've seen them on eBay though.

Prepaid phone? Sure, try Costco!
Here's an even better way, IMO. Procure a used cellphone; one that you upgraded and tossed in a drawer. If you don't have any, maybe another friend or relative does. You need one that will take a SIM card and is or can be unlocked.
Now buy a pre-paid SIM card.
I've done this when travelling overseas to the UK and to China. Just walk into a local cell phone store and buy a prepaid SIM card with $20 worth of calls. Works great and much cheaper paying your domestic carriers International roaming rates.
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Not really, you can activate a CDMA phone that was previously on Verizon, on PagePlus for about $6.
T-Mobile will sell you a SIM card for an unlocked (or T-Mobile) GSM phone for about $6 as well.

Yes, this is the best way to go when spending time in one country. For multiple countries there are SIM cards with higher per minute costs, but that work in most GSM countries.
BTW, it isn't always as simple as "walking into a store and buying a card." I used to buy SIM cards in Taiwan that way, then the government decided that criminals were using those cards, and now allows the cards only to be sold at the carrier's own stores, with a lot of hassle (two forms of ID so bring your driver's license as well as passport.

Interesting.
It was easy in the UK last Christmas time -- walked into a Carphone Warehouse store. In China this summer, I had a Mandarin speaking native get one for me -- not sure where they went but it only took about 10 mins ;-)
On Aug 11, 10:53am, "Stormin Mormon"

I have a cell phone which costs me $11.40 per month. This low cost plan includes a certain amount of air time.
I carry it only for a possible emergency; to phone in from scene of an accident etc. or if I had a heart attack etc. It can be recharged and or used from my vehicle.
Since the monthly bill is paid on time (which is done by standing payment order, so it is ALWAYS paid as due) unused air time accumulates. I now have some $200+ of unused air time! And/or I can lend the phone to a visiting relative and tell them to call if they get lost etc.
Day air time with this plan cost 35 cents/min. Evening/night/ weekend air time costs 5 cents/min. But as mentioned I hardly ever use it. My son got the used phone quite cheap as a replacement last year when the cell phone company changed from analog to digital.
Recommend you look for some plan along the above lines. Understand that there are plans where you buy minutes and/or by means of a card.