OT Car repair

Are you talking about freeze-plugs? I've never heard of anyone who removes freeze-plugs to drain the cooling system. And I woudln't want mine removed, because I need them to be put in right.
Or do cars you know have both drains and freeze plugs?
What makes and models would these be? What makes and models have drains at all?
On 8/28/2013 9:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@bubba.com wrote:

At least back in the day of cast iron blocks, most engines would have one or more NPT threaded holes in the block down low near the rear, with pipe plugs threaded into them at the factory. Studebaker had them for sure, so did Chevy (at least SBC, presumably BBC also) and MoPar (B, RB, and LA) not sure about Ford but I would assume that they did as well.
Definitely any engine ever converted for marine use ought to have them, otherwise how do you drain the water out for winterizing?
nate

Wrong. There is no reason to remove them. Bad idea!

Right. You need a base line to begin with otherwise you're just guessing.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:51:54 -0500, Gordon Shumway

If you don't *measure* the specific gravity, you're just guessing. It's not like it difficult. There is no need to drain the system, at all. Sheesh!

your time and money. If you do flush the system, you have 7 quarts (in this case) of clean fresh water already in the system waiting for the addition of 7 quarts of antifreeze.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:21:41 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Then measure the specific gravity, just as a check.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:09:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Yes, he would be way off, as I explained below:
This example system holds 14 quarts of coolant. This total system holds 7 quarts of water and 7 quarts of antifreeze for a 50/50 mix, right?
OK, now drain half of that out and you have 7 quarts of coolant left. The remaining 50/50 mix would consist of 3-1/2 quarts of water and 3-1/2 quarts of antifreeze, right?
If he were to add 7 quarts of straight antifreeze to the remaining 50/50 mix he would end up with a mixture of 3-1/2 quarts of water and 10-1/2 quarts of antifreeze... a mixture of 25/75. In other words -- way off, right?

But that assumes there was no antifreeze in the water left in the engine. If you didn't flush it, just drained as much as would come out, the fluid remaining was probably 50/50 already.
Look on the chart on the bottle and depending on where you live and where your car spends the winters, you may see that even 30/70 protects at the lowest temps your car will face.

You can always check with a radiator hydrometer (as opposed to a battery hydrometer). I bought, and I still have, a real one, a foot long, with a scale with 10 values, but now they sell much smaller ones with 4 litle white balls, witha plastic tube instead of a glass one. . For most uses, I think either is good enough. The small one is cheaper, has a plastic tube that likely won't break, takes less space and comes with a cap, which maybe keeps it from dripping.

Try rec.autos.tech. It's still quite active.

That would be the amount for the ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM, not just the rad. The engine block, hoses, and heater core will hold at least a couple of quarts, likely more.
You've done the drain/fill completely incorrectly. Ask in the group I mentioned above. Lots of Ford guys in there.
--
Tegger

If you don't mind a Web board, you can also try signing up to: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
They've got a very active Mechanical/Maintenance forum with some very knowledgeable posters. And it's reasonably free of ricers and other children that tend to pollute some other Web boards.
--
Tegger

rad.. then fill, run, and continue to fill - get all air out.

Yes, I should DAGS.
How dispose of old antifreeze?
On 8/27/2013 10:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Stormin,

Your County or City probably has rules and collection sites for residents. Here, it's just like oil. Drive to the drop-off site, and pour it in the barrel. There are businesses that handle commercial accounts.
Dave M.
Thanks, I ended up dumping it in my neighbors yard.
Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus www.lds.org

I put some in a dish and slid it uder the neighbor's fence. Their dog is just too damed yappy, but that shouldn't be the case too much longer.
--
Tegger

On 8/28/2013 6:37 PM, Tegger wrote:

Soak some lollipops for their fat and ugly turd kids too.

Hey, the yapping has stopped! And the kids aren't screaming anymore!
Uh oh, the doorbell is ringing. I may need to make haste for the next county...
--
Tegger

Oh, man. My spoof is active again. He's funnier than I. I hope no one takes him seriously.
For the next several weeks, every time I see a cop car, it's coming to take me for the death of a couple kids died of antifreeze.