OT Buying a new truck

Page 1 of 4
The Ford place has a 2011 Ranger XLT I would like to have. The sticker price is 25K. The last car I bought was a 2011 Honda Civic last year when they first came out and I was able to get 2k off its 21K list price.
Ford is giving a 4.5k rebate on the new (but a year old 2011) truck with a sticker price of 25k. Should I expect to try to get the best offer on the truck and then get the rebate or is the rebate usually the best offer?
Add pictures here
✖

I think you're nuts to buy any new vehicle unless it's like buying lunch... or you can't get a loan for used. That's a different story.
New vehicles are for saps. You can get a lot more used rig for less money. I like Ford but I'd bet they're still installing that POS clunky signal/flasher mechanism in my '96. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

Not true for most trucks. When I bought mine (ten years ago), the difference between a new truck and a 1-yr old with 20K, was $1K. $6K bought a six-year-old with 90K, and a rebuilt title.
I'm not even sure it's true for cars anymore, either. With the recession, used car prices have gone through the roof.

So what?
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 10, 11:50 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That only suggests you didn't know shit about buying vehicles, 10 years ago, and it doesn't look like you've enjoyed much improvement.
I only grew up in the car business and worked in it as an adult for 6 years. I've sold and bought thousands of vehicles, and made great money, obviously I couldn't know the first thing about vehicle sales.

I know the news tried to sell that story, don't believe everything you read.

So what, what? -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/11/2011 2:29 AM, gpsman wrote:

Just because you know what used to be doesn't mean you know how things are *now*.

Agree, but you can easily verify it for yourself. I have been looking for a vehicle and everything I found over the past year was $1000 ~ $1,500 less for a one year old same version with 20,000 or more miles.
Family member and at least 4 good friends recently bought new for this reason.

Add pictures here
✖

So much depends on location and brand. In SFBA, used Hondas are more valuble than used Beemers and Mercedes and hold their value MUCH longer. Where I now live (CO) Hondas are red headed stepchilds. Jeeps and Fords rule and 4x4 depreciate painfully slow. Buicks, OTOH, drop like a rock, despite being in the top 5 fave brands. No across the board rules.
nb
Add pictures here
✖

I called a buddy of mine still working at a dealer. I didn't get him but talked to his secretary. She said factory dealers jacked up used prices to move new cars (re: economy stimulus/jobs) but they weren't paying any more for trade-ins or at the auctions.
So... I'm wrong, but still right (figgers). You can get used car savings if you don't fall for the ruse. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

How can anyone always be so wrong.

Whoopie. Look again today.

Try opening your eyes. There is a whole new world out there.

Who gives a rats ass about your '96 flasher?
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/10/2011 11:02 PM, gpsman wrote:

Thinking you might not have looked at the used vehicle market in some time. Used to be as you described because you could buy a used vehicle for a lot less a year later.
Now if a new vehicle is say $25k you will find 1 year old versions of that vehicle with 20,000 miles are $23,500.
Add pictures here
✖

I sold ~40 vehicles in the last 4 years

Bullshit. Show us an example of someone's -asking- price in that stratosphere. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

And how much for a 4 year old version of the same thing?
Add pictures here
✖
gpsman wrote:

Huh? New and old, there is not much difference in price between two. \ New one has few incentives specially with cash in hand. Saving ~2K over the life of vehicle ownership was not worth it for me. I bought new probably last one in my life time. Acura MDX.
Add pictures here
✖

The rebate has nothing to do with the sticker price. Look up the truck's invoice price, if the dealer won't show it to you, and offer $100 over, *AND* keep the rebate.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 10, 11:52 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

There is such a thing as dealer participation wrt to some rebates. Does that apply to his?
You should shut up about things you know so little about. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖

Dumbass, if the dealer is telling him of a rebate and not discounting from the sticker, it is *NOT* a dealer rebate.

How do you continue to live? You really are too dumb to breathe.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 11, 8:21 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Wrong. The factory may demand dealer participation in "factory" rebates.

So I hear, from the most ignorant nitwits Usenet has to offer. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/10/2011 9:32 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Best in-depth advice I ever got about buying vehicles came from a book written by a former car salesman, titled Don't Get Taken Every Time. There's a similar website called Beat the Car Salesman. http://beatthecarsalesman.com /
Basically a detailed overview of the buying process, including how to do your research, how to negotiate and close the deal (including how to know what's a fair price for the vehicle and when to walk away, if necessary). If you go in with an understanding of the dealer's costs, as well as market demand for that particular make and model, you have a good idea of what's a fair price for the vehicle, and can negotiate accordingly. It also never hurts to ask what else they can do to motivate you to buy that vehicle from _them_ - maybe throw in free oil changes, or putting on a hitch for free, or whatever else you and they may be willing to work out. And this needn't be an ordeal. Keep it civil and they probably will, too.
I walked from one dealership when shopping for my last car. I went in knowing dealer cost and fair market value for the car. The salesman quoted me MSRP. I told him that I was serious about buying, so we'd have to negotiate the price. He arrogantly informed me they didn't negotiate. I mildly asked if he was, you know, actually interested in *selling* cars, and he repeated that they didn't have to negotiate. I shrugged and drove to the rival dealership where they were happy to negotiate. When the dealer's counter offer came down to $100 less than what I was actually prepared to pay, I closed the deal. I saved thousands, the dealer moved the car, and we were both satisfied.
This works for buying boats and other spendy items, too. My sister and brother-in-law saved thousands on their latest boat just by politely explaining that they were seriously interested, but they needed to see some downward movement on its price. The dealer moved, so they began asking for free accessories, too. They got almost everything they asked for without hassle, just by politely asking the dealer what he could do to close the deal.
Add pictures here
✖
Does anyone know (or do any of these buying guides ever say) if when negotiating for a new vehicle, if an offer to outright buy the vehicle (check, bank draft, credit-card, etc) is seen by the dealership as more (or less) desirable vs the typical way most people buy cars (long term payment plan). ?
I mean, if you have the means (and inclination) to fork over the full purchase price for a new vehicle, does that work in your favor when negotiating the price, or would the dealer (or his financing company) rather bleed you for $300 - $700 a month for 5 years?
I negotiated to have my purchase go through 100% on my credit card when I bought my '2000 Chrysler 300m back in the fall of 1999. After I signed the deal, they came back and said that they can't do it because they didn't anticipate the Visa transaction cost of putting such a large purchase through. I balked and said they signed the deal, but eventually settled and met them half way on the transaction cost. I got a shit-load of frequent-flyer miles because of that purchase.
Add pictures here
✖

I bought my last 2 cars on Visa. Both were used but from a new car dealer. The first time they said max $3000, so I started to walk, they went to half and then to the full price. The second car they agreed to Visa right away. You're right about the load of miles, we call then points up here in Canada. Sure there are Visa transaction costs for them but it is just part of the dickering. All the things they bring up may be legit but the final cost to me is all that matters. I think they made good money on both deals.
A couple of days ago I went with my Dad to look at new cars and we said it would go on Visa and they both agreed but we didn't get to the nitty gritty. It seems to be more comonplace now.
Add pictures here
✖

Buying a car on Visa is an AWFULL way to finace a car!!!!!!!
Add pictures here
✖