OT - Building a ball and chain

Page 1 of 3
Ok, had to post this anon so hopefully the groom will never find it.
A buddy of mine is getting married, for his bachlor parties we are going to tackle him and shackle a ball and chain to his leg. This way the strippers will have to cut off his pants to get them off.
So, I need to build this thing. I procured a bowling ball, a big eye bolt, some masonry/metal epoxy, and some JB-Weld. I rigged up a coat hanger and rubber band that holds the eye bolt in place in one of the finger holes. And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of coathanger.
Well It is a couple of days in, and the eyebolt is barley stiff in there, and I don't think the epoxy is setting right. And I know there is some empty space in the hole between the bolt where the glue hasn't reached. Part of it could be the fact that I can't really mix the resin and the hardener well around the bolt. The other part of it could be this was a bad idea.
If this dosn't work (it has to be strong as hell) I can pull/cut the bolt out and use either the other finger hole or the thumb hole and try again. So I had a couple of ideas.
Using JB weld or new tubes of epoxy, completely fill the hole with the gunk and mix the resin and the hardener (forget what it is called in the jb weld case), mix the them well in the finger hole, then stick the eyebolt in and hopefully let it set.
or
Find a dowell made of some hard wood that is a good fit for the hole, pound the crap out of it until it fills the hole, then drill a hole in it and try to find a wood-thread eye bolt to screw in there. I don't like this option, because the groom could unscrew the thing.
or
I was planning as a backup, to take a round container, fill it with concrete and stick one of these bolts in there, this seems like the simplest route.
So my questions:
Any other methods of doing this that I have overlooked, I already tried google.
Will the JB weld set in a big puddle of itself in finger hole around a bolt?
What is the best compound to use, liquid nails, epoxy, quickcrete?
Anyone got a line on a shackle? I was planning on using a masterlock for the chain to the bolt, then a masterlock on the chain wrapped around his leg.
Bob writes:

Drill and tap for 1/2"-13 threads and just screw it in. Get the tool at Home Depot or an auto parts store. A washer and jam nut at the top would prevent hand untightening but readily disassemble with tools. Rather important for a safe restraint, you know.

This did cross my mind, but I do not have the tools. I might be able to get access to a drill press. Even if I did drill it by hand or not, how difficult is it to tap it? Can you tap the material inside a bowling ball? How deep could I get the threads to go? Is a tap of this kind expensive?
Bob writes:

You can this with a hand power drill to drill, and a tap handle and tap by hand. Plastic is easy to drill and tap. I would go 1-1/2 or 2 inches deep. The Hanson brand (decent quality) tap/drill pair in 1/2-13 at Home Depot is about $10.
Also suggest Bondo for filling in the finger holes. Lots cheaper than epoxy and much easier to work, paintable.
It's easy. They make eye-bolts with wood threads, just bore a 1/4 inch hole and twist it in. I have one i used to chain to my dog's harness to keep her from jumping my 10 foot fence when i lived in a city. She could drag it around the yard just fine (big dog) but the six foot chain kept her down. The balls are usually made of wood with plastic coatings, or all plastic
--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Sounds like this is being lots more trouble than it should be. I've had great luck with paste epoxy like PC-7 which you mix up on a piece of cardboard and then scoop into the hole. Very strong, gap-filling, easily workable, and sets on any surface. Should take one application and be set by the next day.

Believe it or not, I've seen some old shackles, leg irons, and even ball-and-chains at antique malls. I'm sure there are lots of "specialty" shops on the web that cater to people looking for shackles, but another place you could look locally would be a tack shop. Lots of weird hardware to be found there.
--
soc.singles FAQ [ Nyx Net, free ISP ] Misc.Fitness.Weights page
www.trygve.com/ssfaq.html [ http://www.nyx.net ] www.trygve.com/mfw.html

Use the epoxy. Don't try to mix it in place. That's what is causing your problem. I would suggest taking a little sandpaper and roughing up the inside of one of the finger holes. Then mixing up a batch of epoxy *OUTSIDE* the hole. Then pour/scrape/whatever the epoxy into the hole and then push the eyebolt into the hole. Wipe off the excess epoxy and let it set.
You have plenty of time after you mix the epoxy in which to get it into the hole. With 5-minute epoxy, you have about 5 minutes before it starts to set and with regular epoxy you have about a hour in which to work.
snipped-for-privacy@smof.fiawol.org (John Cochran) wrote in message wrote:

Would this work just as well with the JB-weld? I did the sandpaper thing. I aslo have a nut with some wierd daisy wheel washers on it to try to anchor it in the glue.
Bob wrote:

First off, I'm with Randy Z. on this one. But if you want to help accelerate Darwinism, here goes:
Did you try the instructions on the JB weld?
http://www.jbweld.co.uk/files/prodb.html
They say to mix first, and that you have about 25 min. to set.
Those daisy wheel washers are probably some sort of lock washers. They probably will do squat for anchorage. Just use a bolt and nut, where the nut is ~1/8" smaller than the hole, or so.
"Bob" wrote: (clip) And Day by day I have been filling the hole with the epoxy and trying to mix it around the bolt with another piece of coathanger.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ You are trying to mix the epoxy inside the hole, beside the bolt? That's not a good way. You will never get it properly mixed. Mix it on a flat surface with a spatula--THOROUGHY--and then stuff it into the hole. Best to partially fill the hole, also coat the eyebolt threads with mixed epoxy, and then push the eyebolt into the hole. Be prepared to wipe or scrape off the excess as it flows out of the hole. You might want to put masking tape on the surface around the hole, so after it's cured, it is easy to pick off the overflow.

do your buddy a favor and make sure his fianc is cool with this stuff. If she is, more power to you - have a blast. But I've seen several bachelor parties that caused serious marital strain.
This guy can't be your friend. Friends don't do things like this to each other. Over ten years ago in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada the ball and chain thing went too far. It resulted in the loss of the use of one arm, no marriage and a million dollar lawsuit. Randy
"JWB" < snipped-for-privacy@servo.com actually, my e-mail is jwb3333 at excite dot com> wrote in message

Randy Zimmerman wrote:

Just take it off of him the day after the party. -- John L. Weatherly Nashville, TN
Please remove triple X's to reply via email
Ooops.
Randy Zimmerman wrote:

wrote in message

Well, what are friends for. He is young, having a ball and chain around his leg for 2 days won't kill him. Having the real ball and chain for the next 60 years probably will.
Until you get tired of your friends and run down the street carrying the ball, slip and fall through a plate glass window. If you put a restricitve device on someone you are responsible for the safety of that individual. Being young is no excuse for being stupid. I guess maybe I am a party pooper and off topic but I have seen too many of these problems happen because no one thought about possibilities only the immediate moment. Randy

"Randy Zimmerman" wrote: Until you get tired of your friends and run down the street carrying the ball, slip and fall through a plate glass window. If you put a restricitve device on someone you are responsible for the safety of that individual.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I doesn't look like they are going to call off this "stunt," regardless of the meanness and the hazards. I suggest that someone stash a bolt cutter nearby, just in case something does happen.

You do have a good point about safety here, but ths guy is pretty level headed, and I have seen him level headed after ~50 beers, he just talks more. Thank you for you warning and I will keep safety in mind at all times.
Bob wrote:

Yeah. Because his drunk ass is passed out.