OT BP again

I think if the beach was closed to all by the local authorities then I think it was the right thing to not let reporters on the beach. If BP was not letting anyone on public beaches on its own "authority" then I think regular citizens should have told them to kiss my aura, dora. The press should have followed suit.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Then why didn't you? If it was so obvious, except of course in

20/20 hidnsight.

People were doing stuff within the first couple of days at the site and starting to set up at the beaches, etc., soon thereafter.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Correct. Helicopter pilots, boat captains still had a job in the early moments of this event. That is how staff transport to the rig.

Reply to
Oren

I don't work for the oil company. If I did I would have taken my responsibility seriously, although they might have prevented me from doing what was needed.

Do you think it takes 20/20 foresight to make provisions for leaks?

There's stuff, and then there's more the stuff they could have done.

Reply to
mm

From the Christian Science Monitor (17 July 2010)

"[ATLANTA] The identity of the "mystery plumber" whose homemade design for a new containment cap may have helped to finally stanch the Gulf oil spill geyser emerged Saturday.

"His name is Joe Caldart, a married, 40-something blue-collar guy with five kids and three hound dogs living in St. Francis, Kan. Mr. Caldart has 907 Facebook friends. He likes the band Rednecks & Red Dirt, watches "Family Guy," and cites the 1978 Burt Reynolds flick "Hooper" as one of his favorites."

Money quote: "The idea was using the top flange on the blowout preventer as an attachment point and then employing an internal seal against that flange surface," says Dr. Bea. "You can kind of see how a plumber thinks this way. That's how they have to plumb homes for sewage."

Full story

HeyBub

Of course you would have.

Nope. But they did make a bunch of provisions for leaks, just none of them worked. The foresight I am questioning is knowing ahead of time that this particular one would have to be invented for this particular situation.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I suppose many of the same types of questions are asked after any disaster. Airplane crashes come to mind. Seat belts for autos. Electrical grounding procedures. How about something home related like a sink trap? I wonder how long that took before someone figured out those are a good thing. The Jones Act was blamed for some of the response tardiness. It has something to do with letting foreign crews in U.S. coastal waters. I think the Administration was too slow to waive the law if it ever did. One article said there are something like 6 purpose built vessels for oil cleanup. All foreign owned, I think. There were a lot of offers to help but few accepted from what I've gathered.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, it took Bush two days to waive the Jones Act after Katrina. He didn't owe his Presidency to the Union thugs though.

Let's not forget the incident with the life preservers and the one barring the Lousiana sand berms. Oh, how about them not allowing the discharge of the "polluted" water from the skimmers.

Certainly none were accepted expeditiously.

Reply to
krw

You're not running for office in Howard County are you. Now that I'm home, I'm not sure what the name on the sign was, but it was close.

Reply to
mm

Nope. I know of only one other Kurt Ullman in the US, and he is out West somewhere.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Why? Because it's the first of its kind, ever. Took 88 days to design and build.

There's a first time for everything.

How would you propose they test it under realistic conditions? Hmm, let's drill an oil well and let it blow out, then see if we can plug it? Seems like they're doing a bang-up job of testing it right now.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Okay. I googled and it's Ken Ulman, the Howard County Executive, already elected and running for re-election.

Reply to
mm

And he is in Maryland, where as I am in Indiana. MY Howard County includes Kokomo, I hope his doesn't (grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman