Capped !

Yesterday I finished pouring the concrete cap on my basement block walls . Now I can move on to the carpentry part , and I have at least a little experience with that ... But not today , it's going to be near 70? here and I haven't ridden Mr Motorcycle in close to a month . Got a jones on for a ride ... but I might do a little more backfilling first , the recent rain has settled the soil around the cellar .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Are motor cycles male or female? That opens up interesting question. They like to have men on their backs, and they go around to places and go shopping. So... ?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don't forget the block wall bracing before backfilling...I have a BIL that didn't do it!

Reply to
bob_villain

I'm not quite sure what you mean about bracing ... This cellar is only about half below grade , there is rebar between row 3 and 4 , row 6 and 7 , and there are vertical rebars every 4 feet with that column filled with concrete . I backfilled about 3 weeks ago , recent rain/sleet/snow event has settled that fill so I need to push more dirt (clay mostly) to get the runoff profile I want . Not that it will see any runoff after the kitchen is on top of it , but you never know and I want any water that finds it's way under there to run away from the walls .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Not sure where you're located but around here backfilling with clay will destroy/collapse a block wall in 15 years or less.

Reply to
ray

bob_villain

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 07:38:38 -0700, ray wrote in

Is that because of the expansion/contraction of clay as it absorbs water & dries out?

Reply to
CRNG

THe short answer is yes . Shouldn't be a problem here because the cellar walls are all recessed under the house except the downhill end wall , and they are only partly below grade . This is the same stuff that came out of the hole .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

OK , that's kinda what I thought . If my walls were that long and buried that far I'd be worried .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Around here bazckfill with sand/gravel and cap with clay is pretty common. The clay cap helps shed water, keeping it away from the foundation.

Reply to
clare