OT Bank relaxes security. Acceptable?

Fuel is way cheaper than it has been in several years. Food is going up here too. Wages are still stagnant though. When they take off that will accelerate inflation because companies will just pass it on. Maybe I can get on at McDonalds when the get their $15/hour raise.

There are funds that include real estate.

And P may have a defined pension plan and just supplements it with investing. Unless you know all the facts it's hard to criticize a mans investing choices.

My folks took all their money out of an insured bank account and put it in an uninsured savings and loan to get a promotional free toaster and a higher interest rate. The savings and loan failed shortly thereafter and they lost it all.

Point taken. I am the proud owner of a GM stock certificate that is now quite worthless. Whoever thought GM would fail??
I disagree with you that P doesn't have a balanced portfolio. A fund can be a balanced portfolio. I don't know about Ps though. Many people are overstocked (pun intended) on funds which doesn't improve diversity, is counter productive, and just increases fees.

I've had my Vanguard fund for over 20 years now, including 2008. Never lost a dime. (Actually made quite a few dimes.)

Dunno. I've never used a financial advisor. They are really just sales people in disguise.
Per J0HNS0N:

Some years back, their cash fund "broke the buck" - i.e. actually had a negative return. Vanguard made up the diff internally, so users did not lose any money.
--
Pete Cresswell

It was to their advantage to do so. Avoiding the bad publicity was likely worth it.

Vanguard has many mutual funds of many different kinds and Vanguard is generally noted to have the lowest costs (which impacts on return). So, assuming he has some in the Vanguard Big Cap Fund and some in the Vanguard Small Cap Fund and some in the Vanguard Bond Fund and some in the Vanguard Foreign Fund, that should be okay.
but what they conceal is vital."

That is different from suggesting the SIPC will. T
but what they conceal is vital."
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 13:00:21 -0400, Kurt Ullman

And also for theft by a broker or other employee, right?
Some member of the HOA one time thought it included stocks going down in price and I couldn't talk him out of that.
He was a real pip.
Apparently there was a group home for mentally something** children in the n'hood, only 10 townhouses away from me. They never caused any problem, except once when I wasn't outside, one of the kids didn't want to get on their bus, or didnt' want to get off. That lasted less than 5 minutes.
**childrhoold mental retardation or illness, I forget which.
These are 3 BR houses with a 450 ft2 room in the basement fwiw. And there was a person in charge and only 4 or 5 kids.
Now the same company wanted to buy or rent a second house and someone got wind of it and there was a meeting.
The pip's wife stood up to speak. She said, My brother had this problem, and I spent years watching him suffer from it, and..... I don't want to watch it anymore.
Silly me, halfway through I thought she loved her brother and had learned compassion for such people from him. But she only learned to avoid them, And so she didn't want them here. And they lived on the next block, a parallel street, and would never see them anyhow.
IIRC I ended the meetng by saying something that should have embarrassed anyone opposed to house, and the first house at least was there for another year with no problem, until one day it was gone. Well, not the house itself.

My understanding, it yes. However, that doesn't cover for things like the charge cards or banks do. (Actually the FDIC isn't involved in those either.)

Must not be the only one. That we featured on SIPC's FAQsm
but what they conceal is vital."

Ah, Blank of America...
I suspect they gave up on SiteKey because its was ans extra step AND it did not improve security. Several years ago an experiment (or an actual scam, IDR now) where subjects were served spoofed signOn pages which had the wrong SiteKey image and almost all of them logged in anyway.
SiteKey had another component. In addition to selecting an image from their catalog you also entered your own caption. If the experiment had showed the correct picture but wrong caption I bet virtually everyone would have ploughed ahead.
In alt.home.repair, on 28 Jul 2015 09:03:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Fake ID) wrote:

Yeah, I can imagine that happening, even with me. LIke, I intend to by gas at the Gulf station on the corner and it's a Standard station now, but I stop anyhow.
But if it was a worrthwhile precaution and the big problem is no one uses it right, there should be some way to make people use it right.

Sure, words are less important than pictures and take more time to notice. We didnt' have words, and we didn't select our own image, and already I'm starting to forget what it was. A clothes iron maybe. If they showed me something else, I might think that was it.

Maybe show you the wrong image then take $5 from your account if you sign in anyway. I can see the merits over insecure comms, but now the encryption scheme is supposed to verify that you're communicating with the correct party, although even that gets thwarted when the MITM can install their certificates in your browser (like an employer).

Sounds like they tweaked the implementation over time. I thought it a bit clever since the caption I create doesn't necessarily have to be related to the image.
Going though old BofA paperwork a couple weeks ago I ran across a promo for their online banking...1980's vintage. Even had an order form for a dedicated terminal in case I didn't own a computer. In some ways I miss the simplicity of text based system.