OT auto repair OT

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Flushed both directions , only thing that came out was a little rust in the water . No chunks or particles of any kind were flushed out - also flushed the engine block , same result , some rusty coolant then clear .
--
Snag

On 10/30/2015 8:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Years ago, my Mom had similar problem. The mechanic found a lot of leaves in the box with the heater core. Some times the leaves would rise up, cover the fins and block the air flow.
Is there a temp gage on the insturment cluster? Might be thermostat sticking open. Did you check the temp at the Tstat with a non contact thermometer while this problem is occuring? I had to change the thermostat on my newer vehicle.
Who knows....
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 9:49:22 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Speaking of leaves, have you checked your cabin air filter recently?
Having bought 4 used cars in the past 3 years, I can attest to the fact that the cabin air filter is a highly neglected item. Leaves, bees, rocks (rocks?) and all manner of debris can be found embedded in the cabin air filter.
One car I bought was so clean it practically glowed. The engine air filter looked like it had been changed the day I test drove the vehicle. After I bought it I pulled the cabin air filter. It was so dirty I'll bet it was the original.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I didn't know there was a filter ... but if it was plugged wouldn't I be seeing a reduction in airflow ? It blows a good air stream , it just ain't warm enough .
--
Snag

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 10:22:47 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

My response wasn't to you, it was to Stormy. The cabin air filter will not cause the problem you are describing. It was just a comment on the neglect of the cabin air filters.
I believe that the 4Runner started to use cabin air filter in 2003, so no, you don't have one.
On 10/30/2015 10:09 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I replaced vehicle, I checked the main air filter. Pretty bad, so I kept the one off the older vehicle. As to cabin air filter, I did ask at a parts house, and they were unable to find any such listed.
Rock auto (dot com) also does not list such a part.
Good advice for all concerned. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 10:26:43 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here's an interesting factoid that most people will never need, but it might make an interesting (not really) automotive trivia question:
How can you tell that the cabin air filter in a 1999-2004 Honda Odyssey has *never* been changed?
I don't know if this is true for any other vehicles, but on the 2nd generation Honda Odyssey, there is a plastic support bar that has to literally be *cut* out of the vehicle in order to change the cabin air filter the first time.
In order to keep the dash from flexing during installation at the factory, there is a plastic support bar that connects the right hand side of the dash to the center. The bar is only there to make it easier to install the dash. However, once the dash is installed, this bar blocks access to the panel that covers the cabin air filter housing.
The neatest way to remove the support is with a Dremel, but people have used diagonal cutters, utility knifes, etc.
On 10/30/2015 12:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm all aquivver. I'm so excited, I can't sit still.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Terry Coombs wrote:

Sure you burped the system free of air pocket? Sure rad. thermostat is good?
its best to run water both directions thru the heater core, and pulse compressed air thru the heater core at the same time, replacing all the coolant with plain water, then drain, and replace all the coolant with a 50 /50 mixture of NEW coolant