OT auto repair OT

Page 2 of 3

have a "bypass" thermostat you are guaranteed to overheat the engine without the thermostat unless you understand exactly how they work and you block off the alternate path.
On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 18:26:24 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster

least, throw a code and turn on the CEL. The computer knows from the outside air temperature, how long it should take to come to a specific operating temperature and if it takes too long, or not long enough, it reports an error. Even changing the thermostat temperature can cause problems (put in 180 instead of 190 and it takes too long to reach the 190 minimum operating temperature - light comes on.
On Saturday, October 31, 2015 at 9:57:40 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote :

from the engines in our vehicles in the days before cars and trucks were p roduced with all kinds of electronic engine controls. My old cars from the 1960's and 70's ran great in the summer without thermostats but I had to re install the thermostats when the weather got cool. Life was simpler back th en. ^_^

The Honda Odyssey uses Variable Cylinder Management which shuts down 3 of t he 6 cylinders when the ECU determines that they are not needed. Many Ody owners hate it f or a variety of reasons.
One guy determined that VCM will never engage below a engine coolant temp ( ECT) of 167F.
He determined that a ~100 ohm resistor placed between the ECT2 sensor and t he ECU fools the ECU into thinking that the ECT is about 15 degrees cooler and essentially d isables VCM. The 15 degrees Is not enough to impact the fuel air mixture at cooler ECTs so ther e does not appear to be any negative impact on vehicle operation or performance. Dozens of us ha ve been using the resistor for about a year now and there have been no reports of issues. Vehicles have passed state inspections with the resistor installed. The device is plug and play, using Honda connectors, so it can be removed in about 20 seconds if someone wants to ensure that th e resistor is not causing whatever problem the van is having.
The VCM system causes more problems than it is worth. Running with 6 cylind ers all the time makes the van so much more enjoyable to drive.
(Honda had to use special (read: expensive) motors mounts and a Noise Cance llation system to compensate for the physical vibration and auditory issues that are present when the back 3 cylinders are shut down. The motor mounts are known to go bad because of t he VCM so we are happy to know that we've eliminated the vibration issue that causes them to go bad.
On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 10:58:08 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

ts from the engines in our vehicles in the days before cars and trucks were produced with all kinds of electronic engine controls. My old cars from th e 1960's and 70's ran great in the summer without thermostats but I had to reinstall the thermostats when the weather got cool. Life was simpler back then. ^_^

no doubt this tampering breaks a bunch of fedreal laws.
cadillac years ago had a 8 6 4 engine that didnt work

was not developped to that point yet.
On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 11:55:17 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

tats from the engines in our vehicles in the days before cars and trucks we re produced with all kinds of electronic engine controls. My old cars from the 1960's and 70's ran great in the summer without thermostats but I had t o reinstall the thermostats when the weather got cool. Life was simpler bac k then. ^_^

Why and which ones?

On Sun, 1 Nov 2015 07:57:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

converter also will not lock below the target temperature - and running without lock-up not only burns more fuel, but also burns out transmissions due to overheating caused by the slippage in the converter (which is not allowed for in the cooling design) Some also will never shift into the top (overdrive) gear untill proper operating temperature is acheived.
On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 3:33:50 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ats from the engines in our vehicles in the days before cars and trucks wer e produced with all kinds of electronic engine controls. My old cars from t he 1960's and 70's ran great in the summer without thermostats but I had to reinstall the thermostats when the weather got cool. Life was simpler back then. ^_^

As far as we have been able to tell, the Ody (or Pilot) does not exhibit an y TC lockup issues with the device installed. Hundreds of devices used for thousands of miles; highway, city, towing, etc.
No high rev issues, no shuddering, no heat buildup. We're happy.
Terry Coombs posted for all of us...

Have you tried back flushing just the core? Might be piece of safarkus in there.
--
Tekkie

Feel the heater hoses with the heat working and note the approximate differences. Do the same when the heat has malfunctioned. If the hoses to and from feel the same or hotter when it quits, you may have a mixer door air flow problem.
--
Mr.E

Mr.E wrote:

I have done so , and when it works right both hoses are hot to the touch . When it's not working right the exit hose is noticeably cooler , that's why I think it's a coolant flow problem .
--
Snag

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 9:20:57 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Is there coolant in the expansion tank...could air be in the system?
bob_villa wrote:

Yes , the exp tank is full , and the rad is up to just below the neck .
--
Snag

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 9:41:47 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

There may be an air-bleeder on the T-stat housing...
Terry Coombs wrote:

Try removing the heater hoses from their system connections and flush GENTLY in the reverse direction to normal in/out. I had a similar problem on a Mazda and a large piece of cloth flushed out of the supply hose. It would not go past the on/off valve so the reverse flush pushed it out the hose.
--
Mr.E

Mr.E wrote:

I've flushed the core both directions , good flow and no indication of any obsbtruction .
--
Snag

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 3:33:13 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

Plan B:
http://www.globaltrucker.com/images/products/6961.jpg
DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's spelled "last resort" ... not plan B .
--
Snag

that does seem to indicate a water flow problem through the core.
did you flush the core in the __reverse__ direction?
does a bunch of crud come out? you may have a really plugged core
is there a bypass path where the water can flow "around the core"
Ford Taurus had such a system and even a small restriction in the core would casue the majority of the water to flow through the bypass..
Mark