Online deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?
I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal apparently does include.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202214073/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId053&langId=-1&keyword=Irwin+quick+grip&storeId051
Thanks.
--
Feel free to snip the links.

"John Doe" wrote in message
Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?
I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal apparently does include.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202214073/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId053&langId=-1&keyword=Irwin+quick+grip&storeId051
===================================================================================Don't know of any deals but the with one from Amazon, the two hand clamps are totally worthles.
On 5/5/12 1:22 PM, CW wrote:

Yes, they are. The little return springs fall out. Plus, they are very weak and awkward.
--

-MIKE-

The all metal Jorgensen style clamps are a lot more versatile and durable than the plastic-jaw clamps.
The plastic-jaw quick clamps that I have (Irwin & generic) are barely adequate for most holding tasks I tried them on.. not even very good at clamping glued wood joints. The screw on the Jorgensen allows/makes a much better grip and clamping force than a trigger-pull latch mechanism, IME.
I saw a neat modification recently for Jorgensen clamps recently.. drill and counterbore the wooden handle to accept SHCS socket head cap screws so the clamp screw can be tight/loosened with a hex wrench. The hex wrench method allows the clamps to be used where hand tightening of the screw may not be easy or convenient. The screws can be held in place by epoxy and optionally, threads can be tapped for the SHCS screws.
--
WB

"John Doe" < snipped-for-privacy@usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message

There are several different models of the Irwin Quick Clamps. The smaller ones aren't worth much but the heavier duty (XL600?) model is pretty good. I have a couple of dozen of both the larger Irwins (and a pile of the smaller ones) and Bessey parallel jaw clamps. I always reach for the Irwins first. They're far faster to apply than the Besseys and it seems I'm always in a rush when the glue is drying. ;-)

I'm truly amazed that you guys all think the 6 and 12 inch mini's are useless. I have been using the 6" for years.
They won't pull the force of a bigger clamp but they do the job. They hold.
I have larger 24" bessey's and IMHO the Irwin's are better. Mini or Standard. They just work better. I can hit the release and have them slide into position, or I can push them without releasing. The bessey's always require the release button. No pushing them...
On 5/5/2012 9:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:55:54 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

It depends on the models. The lighter Irwins aren't very strong and the rails bend quite a bit (throwing the jaws out of parallel). The "mini" clamps are totally useless (couldn't pinch my finger in them). The "XL" series is pretty good, but more expensive than even Besseys.

Their jaws are also not parallel when fully clamped. Sometimes that matters. If you're gluing, quite a bit of force is needed. Irwins really aren't up to the job.

Again, I have a large variety of both, from 12" to 48" (and smaller Irwins). I generally reach for the Irwins first, to do the initial clamping, then add the Besseys for better clamping.

Well, I guess we use clamps differently.
My 6" are parallel enough. I have both Irwin and the predecessor American Clamp Co. (I think.. black).
I don't bend the bars, because I don't put that much pressure on the mini Irwins. They still clamp great.
When I need more force I use an F clamp, when I need a bigger clamp, I use my Big Besseys, Cabinet Masters, Aluminum bar clamps, pipe clamps, c clamps. No need to bend the bar on my little 6"..
The little X type clamp is useless. I use spring clamps instead. But to say the minis are useless, I can't agree.. They have their place and are my usual go to clamp to quickly get something held together. I then add other clamps as needed.
On 5/6/2012 11:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Ok, maybe not as parallel. The old American Tool Co clamp is parallel. The new one is not and neither is the bessey.
See
http://i.imgur.com/x5EBL.jpg w/ Pads
http://i.imgur.com/xXBJL.jpg W/O pads
On 5/6/2012 3:31 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

On Sun, 06 May 2012 17:02:13 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

??
My Bessey Parellel Clamps are.

Pit pressure on them and the bow out the other way. How much depends on how the pressure (obviously) and how far apart they are, since the rails flex.

On Sun, 06 May 2012 15:31:37 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

If you don't put pressure on them, they don't clamp great. ;-) I've used them when putting up molding. For that, not much pressure is needed but other times I need a *lot* more than they'll deliver. They mostly go unused.

You don't do much gluing, right?

They make good paper clips, though a bit large.
I do a hell of a lot of gluing. I just don't find the need to go further with them. If I do I add either K body or F clamps.
With close to 200 clamps I can choose what's right for the job. I still stand by my statement that the 6" mini is a decent clamp. Your contention that it is useless is overstated.
On 5/6/2012 7:28 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On Sun, 06 May 2012 22:00:54 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I suppose, if you're a model airplane builder...
BTW, top-posting sucks.
Well, I was 25 years ago not any more. I scratch built planes and wound up in the front row at the Nationals. But I have been building furniture, and other things for over 35 years. With a short break in between.
Now if that bothers you. The technique for building both is the same. Tight joints, good design. How many of your pieces have withstood vibration, heavy G forces, and hard landings. And a finishing technique second to none.
On 5/7/2012 12:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

says...

Yep. It's a matter of the right tool for the job. The big advantage of the mini and all the clamps of similar design is that they work one- handed--I can hold something in place with one hand and put the clamp on it with the other. Then that holds things together while I sock down the screw clamps that need two hands.
It's also just the right size and force to stick a stop block onto my RAS fence or router fence or crosscut sled.
Very handy clamps.

I've seen this HD package in the store. It does indeed have two 6" and two 12" bar clamps, plus four other throw-ins that don't look too useful. Still, it contains all of the clamps in the Amazon kit for a lot less money. In fact, this package costs less in the store than another package that contains only the two 12" clamps.
As for the usefulness of these clamps, I have found them extremely convenient. I am more of a home handyman than a woodworker, and the ability to position and tighten these clamps with one hand has saved my behind in any number of situations. They are not without their disadvantages; If you're standing on level ground, have two hands to apply a clamp or (cue angelic music) a helper, other clamp types might perform better. But I wouldn't be without a few of these.
Greg Guarino <gdguarino gmail.com> wrote:

But apparently the Home Depot set includes all mini clamps. The 12" clamps are the same "mini" size as the 6" clamps. The Amazon deal apparently includes larger standard size 12" clamps.
--

> In fact, this package costs less in the store than
> another package that contains only the two 12" clamps.
On 5/5/2012 7:06 PM, John Doe wrote:

The ad doesn't make it easy to tell, but you may be right. Depends what you use them for, I guess. I have six of the "mini" 6" and three of what you are referring to as the "standard" size - two 24" and one 6". I find myself using the mini 6" ones very frequently, whenever I need a third fourth or fifth hand. Here's photo of them "in action"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/3606374857/lightbox /
I was gluing up a custom filler piece for my kitchen cabinets. The ability to position and tighten these with one hand really comes in handy.

The inch measurement is just the length of the bar. Clamp size and model determines how much force it can apply. There is a big difference between the mini clamps in the standard size clamp, especially if the standard size clamp is the newer SL300 or the XP600.
I find them very useful too. Besides tightening, everything else they do can be done one-handed. Makes for quick work. And they keep my forearms in shape :)