One element burned out

I have an older Hotpoint dryer that seems to have one element burned out. (~25ohms from the top terminal to the middle , open circuit to the bottom terminal). I get no heat on any of the settings. Why won't it limp along with one element on the normal setting? Thanks, Dave
On 27 Jun 2006 19:46:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

You are seeing the motor. The element goes across both hot legs. There is only one. Good news is you can usually just buy the heater wire at an appliance store for a few bucks. The whole heater assembly is more like 40 last time I looked. That is easier tho. It might be a switch or thermal but the element is a better guess. If you look at it you can see a burned open wire.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hotpoint is same as GE in any I've looked at--there are _two_ heater elements, not just one although they tie the low side of the first to the high side of the second (iirc, it's been a while since I replaced one).
The elements are pretty inexpensive as noted and they both come in a set. Replace them both at the same time--if one burned out, the other will go shortly if you don't.