Motion sensing lights

Our house has motion-sensing light outside that come on at night when motion is detected. The problem is that after a power failure, they stay on all night (and maybe all day, I'm not sure). After a few days of switching them off and back on, they start working correctly again. I don't have a manual for the lights (they were here when we bought the house). After a power failure, what is the easiest way to get them back in the correct mode?

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Turn them off at the switch or breaker, then turn them back on. This is the same way they can be set to stay on all the time. The power failure tells it to say on just as you had used the switch. The photo cell puts them out usually.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you have a momentary power failure, when it's dark, the unit should keep the light on till dawn. As Ed said, you can simulate this with a wall switch, by flipping it off, then back on quickly. If you kill the power to the unit for about ten seconds, then turn it back on, the unit should reset

Reply to
RBM

OK. Generally I was not leaving them off for 10 seconds.

Do some of them take 24 hours to learn night from day?

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Hi, That's normal. Mine does that too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

But then it stays that way until I fiddle with the switches.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Leaving it off for 10 seconds fixed it, thanks.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Wait til dark. Turn OFF the switch..leave it OFF for about 20-30 sec. Then turn it back 'on'..the light should be OFF (and re-set)

Reply to
Rudy

That is my light. Has to be off for 30 seconds to re-set. When I put it up on my roof gable, I wired it through a switch on the porch ceiling for easy resets. Have to activate it with a broom or similar but...

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks, I got it done. Now I know what to do. Before I would eventually get it working again, but it took a lot of trials and since the light stays on for a long time after being turned on, it took a lot of trials.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

I have a light-sensing front door light and back-yard floodlight that I installed myself. Made by different companies. I have the manuals but am too lazy to read them again.

It seems the front door light easy to reset in the day and the floodlight in the dark. But it could be the opposite with another brand. It took me years to notice this. With one, I would get tired trying to reset it at night and think, I'll try again tomorrow. Tomorrow during the day, it would be easy. The other one would be the opposite.

Reply to
mm