On-Demand/Tankless Water Heater

Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have 1.5 baths (using NG). Thanks!
Bob_Villa wrote:

The only thing that tankless water heaters have proven about themselves is that they are more expensive to buy and install vs conventional tank heaters, more prone to needing repair (costly repair at that), and any benefits in terms of cost-of-operation over conventional tanks are overstated, illusionary, or outright lies.
To answer your question (and be able to argue the pro's and con's of tankless vs conventional for your case) we need to know:
1) What is the coldest incoming water temperature in the winter for your location? The colder your municipal water supply is, the more substantial the heating plant needs to be (BTU's) for a tankless system. Remember that in northern climates, substantial piping changes need to be made to be able to deliver enough natural gas to a tankless system.
2) What is the composition of your household? A home with more young people typically uses more hot water (for showers, baths, laundry, kitchen, etc) than a household with older inhabitants. It would be hard to justify the upfront costs of a tankless system in a household composed of two people (married couple, etc) in their 50's or older, for example.
3) To some extent, the length of plumbing runs between the water heater and the most-used fixtures (shower, wash basin, etc) and if these runs are insulated. The dynamics of how often and how long you typically have to "let the water run" to get hot water to the desired fixture can impact the efficient operation of a tankless system.
On 6/23/13 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

line. I put in a Rheem tankless but didn't increase my incoming gas line size. It's ok for my use. My dishwasher and shower are the only things that need heated water. I don't use them simultaneously. Bachelors get by easier than married guys. Or so I hear.
On 6/23/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:

Of course you must figure what your rate of flow should be to size your tankless "cold" water heater. For natural gas I would recommend the Bosh heater that has the built in water powered generator for the igniter and electronic controls. It's a little paddle wheel inside a housing in the unit that produces electricity whenever water flows so you will have hot water even if the electrical power is off at your home. ^_^
(Amazon.com product link shortened)72001773&sr=8-2&keywords=Natural+Gas+Tankless+Water+Heater+Bosch+520+HN+NG
http://tinyurl.com/mg55djg
TDD

(Amazon.com product link shortened)72001773&sr=8-2&keywords=Natural+Gas+Tankless+Water+Heater+Bosch+520+HN+NG

I think there were some tankless heaters that used batteries to power the ignitors. Memory failure on which brand. My spell check doesn't like igniter or ignitor. Ignightor? Nope. Ignighter. Shucks, missed again.
On 6/23/2013 12:37 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

My WordWeb app likes either one, "igniter or ignitor". My Thunderbird, spell check as you go, likes "igniter" but chokes on "ignitor". Don't you just love The English Language? o_O
TDD

Use "the thing that lights the fire" instead.
My iPad suggests igniter if I try to type ignitor.

My iPad suggests "Obama" as soon as I type in "oba". Hey, there it goes again!
Self powered tankless CAN NOT be power vent! They are limited to chimney venting and the chimney must be large enough for the high BTUs of a tankless.
In parts of the country the cold wnter weather can reduce heating ability... depending on incoming water temperature. using just a mall amount of hot water may not be enough to turn on the tankless burner
OP is probably better off with ma high efficeny water heater lie a VERTEX.......
they have around 98% thermal efficency
In any case tankless might end up increasing your water heating costs:( have a teenager? endless showers can cost big bucks for not only gas to heat mthe water, but the water and sewage...
On Monday, June 24, 2013 7:09:38 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

depending on incoming water temperature. using just a mall amount of hot water may not be enough to turn on the tankless burner

teenager? endless showers can cost big bucks for not only gas to heat mthe water, but the water and sewage... Thanks...count me convinced on not buying it!