OMG I can't believe how crappy consumer laundry equipment is

Page 3 of 3
On 6/12/2014 12:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well 100% of the people I know with a washer with that mechanism have had it fail. But that said, it's only one person. OTOH the repair person that came out to fix it told her that they fail consistently.
Usually it's just a matter of blowing through the hose to clear the blockage but a lot of sensors, timers, and controllers get replaced that are not really bad.
The other stupid thing on these machines is that when working properly, if you open the lid, say to throw in another item. the machine changes to maximum load size instead of keeping the smaller load size.

"These machines"? Which "these machines"? Are you claiming all HE washer exhibit the "refill to the max load size" issue?
Well, it can't be all machines, because my load sensing machine doesn't even have a lid. It's a front loader. I've opened the _door_ numerous, numerous times and I've never had an issue with the machine suddenly filling up with more water.
Based on the fact that your "100%" experience includes a single machine and the word of a single repair person, I will choose to doubt the original statement until some more substantive evidence is provided.
I am curious though, what "hose" are you referring to that needs to be blown out to resolve the issue. You know, just in case I ever experience the problem.
On 6/12/2014 5:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, it's the one's made by the various Whirlpool divisions that have the auto-load sense. Can't speak for GE or the European or Korean brands.

Likey true of some models, but not all. Your sample of one make/model/unit is hardly a representative sample to base a generalization on.
On 6/12/2014 6:36 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You're right, it's the ones made by Whirlpool, under various brand names, that the repair guy was familiar with. It could well be that LG, Samsung, GE, Miele, etc. don't have this issue if they have automatic load sensing.