Older craftsman chainsaw fuel line keeps popping off...

Any suggestions on how to either: keep the fuel line (gas tank side) from falling off (crazy glue around the outside?), or how to get my hands on a new line?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jay

I'm assuming the fuel line is the same as the chain saw I use, and most small engines.

Check with a local motorcycle shop or boat marina garage for a mini hose clamp used on motorcycle, ATV, dirt bike, snowmobile and outboard boat engine fuel lines. It's a spring-looking clamp with tabs you compress with pliers to open. Slide it into place, let go with the pliers and the spring tension holds the fuel line to the nipple. Shouldn't cost more than a dollar. They'll have new fuel line also, though that could cost as much as three dollars

Reply to
DanKMTB

As Dan says, they all use the same type of lines, just different sizes depending on the size of the saw. Any small engine repair shop will have replacement line.

A really cheap alternative to the "store-bought" clamp is to simply take some small gauge wire and make a clamp by wrapping a turn around it and twist the ends with a pair of pliers...

Reply to
dpb

You're giving your age away! :-/

-- Oren

Oren

Reply to
jacko

What keeps the line from popping off without clamps or wire? Especially after the line is weak?

You don't mean the glue idea from the OP, right?

-- Oren

Oren

Reply to
jacko

Pull the line off and take it to a small engine repair place. They can cut you a new piece.

Reply to
Meat Plow

So the oil and fuel has no bearing; in your thoughts.

You will not get good best result without a clamp or wire.

Would the line stay on for a few minutes, maybe!

The OP wants to stop it from popping off. (I cannot tell from here if he is fifty feet up a tree, if so we send him up another saw).

The snug fit won't last.

-- Oren

Oren

Reply to
jacko

And/Or the farm-fix heritage... :)

Reply to
dpb

It's not a contest, just like me giving my opinion. The OP did not declare an emergency; only asking for a way to stop the line from popping off.

And how do you think you can spoil my fun?

-- Oren

Oren

or aviation

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

If you twist to much and break the wire - cut another piece.

I was a young kid when told why they put water into tractor tires. I'm no farmer, but have some heritage..

-- Oren

Oren

Don't often disagree w/ you Oren, but will side w/ jacko on this one. Most don't rely on a clamp and will last for years before the line will relax. Don't think it is oil or gas that's the primary culprit in causing them to fail, either--after all, it _is_ a gas line designed to handle 2-cycle gas/oil mixture. Primarily imo opnion they fail from heat and age, much of which is correlated I believe w/ UV exposure. There's undoubtedly a component of fuel contact but I think it's by far a lesser effect. I'd expect a new line to last at least

4-5 years -- first had to replace the one on the old chainsaw here last year and that saw is nearly 20 years old.

Of course, to OP, while you're at it you might consider picking up a new pickup tank filter if this saw is old enough the line is going -- can't hurt and might just help the way it runs...

Reply to
dpb

I really have no issue with other comments.

If snug fits in this case and you have enough line - snip half inch off and fit the hose. The swollen end is cut off a bit to fit tighter.

In that case the OP can cut the line and snug 'er up.

-- Oren

Oren

That's a short term fix that can serve as a temporary workaround, but none I have have extra length so that the shorter one won't reach to bottom of tank. That, of course, is only a minor inconvenience as compared to not being able to keep the saw running at all... :)

Reply to
dpb

The best answer then is a new fuel line . Given fuel cost I don't want that line popping off :)

-- Oren

Oren

Is there an Echo (pun intended) in here??? :)

Reply to
dpb

I'm not a mechanic, so take my comments at face value. I did grow up owning and working on quads, dirt bikes and outboard motors. In my experience it is true that a new line will fit snug and last quite some time. Still, we always used the clamps. If I can spend an extra dollar and extra few seconds in my driveway or on the dock to make the fix last twice as long I'm all in. It's better than being miles from home, in the woods or adrift in the river (or worse, rocking & rolling in the ocean) muttering about how you should have fixed it right the first time with a #!@$% clamp while trying to jury-rig the line with fishing line and a pocket knife. In the same spirit, we always leave the line as long as possible while still being neat, usually getting an extra couple inches. In a pinch the extra couple inches & the clamp may get you home.

With a chain saw you won't be stranded if/when it fails, but I'd still prefer my fix to last as long as possible. This said, I'd replace the line (including an extra inch or two if practical) and add clamps. The peace of mind is worth the dollar or two it will cost.

Good looks to Oren for mentioning snipping off a bit. I've done that to get by in a pinch in the past and didn't think to mention it here.

Reply to
DanKMTB