How to fix this sprinkler head problem?

Hi, My lawn has a dry spot and I think it is because the pressure to the water is too high, I see a lot water actually sprayed outside the lawn. So yesterday I did a "fix", after pull up the head, I see there is a little screw on the top, I tried unscrew it, not totally, just want to make it loose. Really I did not know I make it or not because it is so tight, all I see is the whole head is turned with my screwdriver together.

The problem is when I tested it, it did not work as I expected: it is a 90 degree head, but the water come out 360 degree now!

Do you know what might be the problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
linq936

Sounds like the sprinkler head is a 0-360 degree type head. Turn the head back down to close/tighten the pattern to 90. If adjusting the screw, be sure to hold the sprinkler head to avoid changing the pattern. (mine are Hunter brand).

A fixed pattern head, is that. A 90 want spray 360.

-- Oren

Oren

The sprinkler likely has 3 ways to control it. One is a screw setting with a + and - arrow, usually at a slit covered by the rubber top. Turning that controls where it stops on one part of the sweep, usually the left. You control the right stop by turning the whol sprinkler head. The second control is a set screw at the top of the nozzle. This controls the distance the water goes. The third control is the size of the nozzle, which can usually be changed to support a wide range of flow rates.

It sounds like you adjusted the arc setting, instead of adjusting the distance. Also be aware that different sprinklers use different types of screw heads to adjust, ie screwdriver, allen, fancy key, etc. Though I think most can be done with allen and small screwdriver.

Reply to
trader4

Mine are stationary pop up type, not the ones that flap back and forth (name?) Is this what you mean? Given the OP stated he pulled the head up and adjusted a screw.

-- Oren

Oren

Re-reading the question, it's not clear to me what kind of head he has. First pass I thought it was a rotor type, which is what I based my answer on. I thought he screwed with the arc setting. But you may be right, he may have some type of fixed head.

Reply to
trader4

I thought you meant the *rotor* type.

My last house had fixed patterns for the heads. I had to always remember if it was a 1/4, 1/2 or full circle pattern that I needed (the bird brand).

I moved across town and have the Hunter brand. Now I just grab the 0 -

360 pattern heads out of one box and adjust as necessary when installed. . Minor tweaks and they work great.

-- Oren

Oren

clipped

There are nozzles that are adjustable, either by turning a screw or turning a dial thingy, which change the width of the spray pattern.

Reply to
Norminn