Old phone, cut wires

I recently bought an old 1970's Mickey Mouse phone from a thrift store. From what I have been reading online, and even here in this group, it may or may not work as a normal phone depending on my carrier. The major problem is though, the chord has been cut very short. I have seen that it can be re-wired for modern day use, but the wires have no color. They are all silver, and neatly in a flat row. Here are some pictures so you can see what I mean

Ignore the Archaeology book in the background. Is there any way I can fix this and let Mickey be more than a place to store my sombrero?

Reply to
justinspring

Those picture links don't work, try these

justinspring

Sure- go to Rat Shack or similar, and get a spade lug to modular cord, and switch it out. In the innards, look for screws marked L1 and L2. Those should mate up with the center 2 conductors on the flat cable. Shouldn't be a big deal to change. If the TT buttons don't work, just switch the 2 wires.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Adding... The ones you want on a regular silver cord are red and green. If Radio Shack doesn't have them Email me I will send you one.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hmm. The chord is cut short. Would that be C, and E, and don't play the G? Maybe we can have a surgeon transpose you a new chord?

The other fellow sounds like he has it right, L1 and L2 are the useful screw terminals. Would that be schrew terminals?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the info. Right now I have finals, but as soon as I finish I'll take a trip to radio shack and see what I can find. I'll let you know how it works out.

Reply to
justinspring

It's a touch tone phone. What carrier wouldn't it work on? That sounds sarcastic. Let me put it another way. It should work on any phone line in the Western Hemisphere, and probalby a lot of others too.

The links in the first post worked for me. Is that speaker wire? Speaker wire is fine. You only need to connect 2 of the 4 wires, which are usually red and green, but in your case might be speaker and speaker. Take off the cover and connect theme to whereever the current cut wires are connected now. L1 and L2 are embossed next to the screws probably. If you can't dial, you should reverse the wires, but I hear here that things are set up most places now so it doesn't matter if you get them backwards or not.

Reply to
mm

Good news! We went and bought a phone cord, cut it open, and connected the center two wires to where two of the silver wires were. The terminals were not labeled, besides with some random looking numbers, but we picked the correct 2, and the phone works! The buttons are very sticky and dirty, and don't always work, but that should be able to be cleaned right? Also sadly, while my mom was carrying the phone she tripped and fell, and the ringer no longer is working. I think something must have come loose inside, and I'll check it out some other time. Thanks again for your helpful info =D

Reply to
oatmeal