old DirecTV and Sqamsung HDTV receivers

We recently replaced two Samsung DirecTV receivers with digital cable HDTV receiver/recorders. In addition, I have several DirecTV receivers from a previous home. All have the "cards" in them, but the "cards" are in my name.
Can the units be sold, such as on eBay, without the cards? Can someone purchase new cards so the units can be usable by someone else?
Nonnymus